Which bike would make a good "lifeboat" for a Unimog?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Klx250

Have you considered the KLX250? I believe that they are sold worldwide. so parts availability is great. People that I know who have them love 'em.

I would stay away from 650 cc bikes; too big, too heavy for your stated needs.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions, there certainly seems to be some good options there. I guess my next step it to make the rounds at the local dealers and see some of these in the flesh. Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll keep you posted.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
+1 on the TW 200 great bike for your intended purpose. If you're looking to go larger I'd look real hard at the xr650l, it's been around for ever with the engine basically unchanged (read parts available all over), and is stone reliable to boot.

Here's another direction for you to go. Have you looked at the Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter? It's not as off road worthy as the bikes previously mentioned, but it will handle mild off road duty with ease. It's twist and go so no shifting which may appeal to your wife is she's not familiar with riding a true motorcycle. There sold all over the world so parts shouldn't be a problem. And, they're smaller than a dual purpose bike so stowing it should be easier.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
My vote would be for the DRZ400 with a 4 gallon tank to give you more mileage.

One of the lightest in the 400 dual sport line-up and majorly capable both on and off road, which is why we chose it. Ours is the Supermoto version because it has better gearing for road riding which I use it more for.

Stock seat, or 2x6 isnt all that comfortable for the rear passenger, but Corbin makes a gel seat that really helps if you plan on logging lots of miles.

475862691_vreBq-L-1.jpg

4air

I like the WR250R. They are a few bucks more and a little more complicated but the fuel injection is dummy proof. My wife can go to town on ours and I never have to worry that she will flood the engine out. Just turn the key and press the start button regardless of temp. We now own 2. Plenty of power and super fuel efficient. Will run for ever.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
There's nothing wrong with all the bikes mentioned, but I would hate to be the rear seat passenger on a WR or DRZ - we're talking 37" seat heights. For the purpose you describe, I would think smaller is better - especially in places outside N. America. Heck, I think the scooter is a pretty good idea but you might as well get a TW200 for about the same price. An XT225/250 or DR200 would also be an idea.

But if your MOG gets stranded somewhere really rutted and rocky - "Rubicon-esque", I would think the TW is the best bike to get you back to civilization. Might not get there fast, but it would get there. Remember, some terrain is a lot easier in a 4wd than with a motorcycle. A lower bike that when needed you could push/carry/help over obstacles will get you farther. You may find yourself on trails that you just don't want to try with a KLR650 two up. And since your not intending to go 2 up on the freeway, who needs a 650 anyway. Hell, an old Honda Trail70 will probably get you out of more places than a 650 dual sport. Won't get you out fast, but it will get you out even if the two of you need to help it along the way.

I'm not an expert, but for what you describe I can't think of a more perfect fit than a TW200.

Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
I have a Honda CRF230L (dual sport) that I carry in a garage in my modified truck camper. It is great for my purposes, which are the same as yours but I am single so haven't tried riding it with a passenger.

Vic

wild1

Adventurer
best bike

Nice to see all the love for the TW,for the last four years I have used mine in pretty much exactly the way you describe. I have had zero issues or problems. The only real limitation is that depending on gearing it is not very happy for extended runs of much over 45 mph. The good news is that it will return over 75 mpg at these speeds.

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 84

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Here's another direction for you to go. Have you looked at the Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter? It's not as off road worthy as the bikes previously mentioned, but it will handle mild off road duty with ease. It's twist and go so no shifting which may appeal to your wife is she's not familiar with riding a true motorcycle. There sold all over the world so parts shouldn't be a problem. And, they're smaller than a dual purpose bike so stowing it should be easier.

I hadn't really considered looking at a scooter as I just didn't think they would be much use off-road. Based on what we want to do, I think 200cc would probably be the minimum size. Not sure I'd want to go up to anything as large as a 650cc as we really want to keep the weight down. So something between 200-650 will probably be good for us . . . leaning more towards the 200 end. Shifting is not a problem for my wife. She rode her BMW F800GS 14,000 km this summer up to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay. While we loved the larger bikes, we really need something quite small and light for the Mog.

I don't think your going to enjoy riding two up on any dirt capable daul sport. But if money is no object, and you want the top of the line, the Husaberg series is the hot tickect right now. They all weigh the same, 390, 450, and the 570, all around 250 pounds, probably less than the tw200, and, aside from the small fuel tank, they are off-road ready out of the box. The 570 is 50 state street legal.
Husaberg_FE570_Enduro_2010.jpg

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Ive got to vote for the TW200 as well. I have had 2 and they are great little bikes that are easy to ride and handle. The other 200-250's are good as well. CRF230L i dont think has rear pegs but that can be changed, the KLX250 is a little complicated but the Super Sherpa is a GREAT little machine that is capable 2up and low seat, light and returns great economy. My top three in no particular order for simlicity, reliability, and comfort are

TW200
DR200
Super Sherpa

Just another opinion...

I am about to pick up a WR250R (I hope) and would recommend that one....

But for the use, the TW200 fattire would be an excellent choice for your needs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94