Which bike would make a good "lifeboat" for a Unimog?

UHAULER

Explorer
Another vote for the TW200. Here is my friend Tom playing in the snow.

P7040013.jpg

AUTO360

Adventurer
I have a TW200 and a WR250R....(and a Wee-Strom) and if I could only have one bike it would no doubt be the WR..BUT, in what your looking for I think a TW or the Honda 230L would be clear winners. Sherpa is good also. The TW may weigh more than one of those Husabergs but keep in mind the center of gravity will more than likely make it feel lighter. Oh, the XT250 would also be a choice. Basically, stick to the smaller bikes. For what you described, anything bigger would be overkill. Actually, now my WR250 makes 650's seem over kill and that comes from having 2 XR650's, a KLR, WR450, and a DRZ400.

Matt

Lucky j

Explorer
Yamaha TW200-
Light
Easy to ride for all riders in all conditions
Great MPG
Can travel at hwy speed

Was my idea before I got to this quote! Can easely go anywhere and ride nice on the road, and is forgiving. So for scouting it is aslo a plus. It is basicaly an atv on 2 wheels and fun urban area.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Yamaha TW200, XT250, Honda 230, the Super Sherpa - all of them would work well for your purposes. Until recently I used to keep both big-bore and small bikes in my stable. The big bore bikes were for higher speed riding on decent roads and trails because they were too much of a handful in the rough stuff. When the going gets really bad you want something light and with a seat height low enough that your feet can reach the ground on both sides. Go down a tooth or two on the countershaft and these little things will crawl up, around, or over just about anything. And if all else fails they are small and light enough to manhandle.
For the last few years my lifeboat has been a Yamaha XT225. Any time I head for the back country the XT is loaded up along with all the other camping gear. Dependable as daylight, easy to work on, sips fuel, light weight and low seat height. My wife never cared much for bike rides but my daughter and I put a lot of miles together on the little Yamaha so yes, it will handle 2 up.
And yes, make sure it is street legal! More and more signs like the one below are appearing on "our" public lands. But if your bike is street legal they can't stop you from traveling an open road.

IMG_0964-1.jpg
[/IMG]

805gregg

Adventurer
I just got a TW200 what a cool bike, light and perfect for highway and trail. Plus cheap a 2006 with 490 miles $ 2700. I'll be using it for sightseeing and trips to the store with the truck camper. Plus a seat bigger than so called dirt bikes, which are more like a 2x6's. Plus it can carry a lot of extra weight, I've seen a picture of a TW with a deer strapped to the back, try that on your dirt bike.

Last edited:

villelobos

DRZ400 Suzuki, medium size and available with electric start and reasonably priced, Husqvarna TC series, 250, 450, 510 all light weight highly capable off and on roaders, KTM 450 or 530. My choices lean toward more off road ability and lighter weight. (My main complaint with the KLR650 and others)

AUTO360

Adventurer
Umm, as much as I like my TW....I wouldn't go so far as to say its Hwy friendly. I will do 55 but only for a little bit. I wouldn't even bother going faster because it feels like it wants to go into self destruct mode. Yes, it can go faster but comfort levels decrease greatly. 45mph feels just right. true, you can change gearing but I have decided to leave mine alone because 55 in a pinch is good to have, and don't want to gear higher because then the off road ability decreases. Just my 2 peso's

Matt

scubagai

Observer
Yamaha XT225

Howdy, first post here. I am an avid motorcycle rider and have traveled to Panama and back in a 89 Toyota single cab. I currently have a street legal XR400, which is plenty powerful, air cooled and virtually bullet-proof. Parts are readily available in Central America, but be aware that most US model bikes are somewhat hard to find parts for internationally, as most manufacturers produce completely different bikes for the US market.

I highly recommend going Japanese. The bike I am going to buy to put on the back of my 92 Dodge diesel 4x4 is a Yamaha XT 225. I have ridden side by side with my buddy who has one. It has 6 speeds (with a stock, super low granny gear that you can walk beside the bike at idle with!) 6th gear allows you to cruise at highway speeds, no problem. The bike sits really low, which is awesome for single track and traffic maneuvers. It is electric start(can mount a kick too), and just performs superbly.

Sorry for all the TW owners out there, but those big tires just are not that cool for a motorcycle. They slow you down and cause more trouble than they get you out of. Hands down, the XT225 would be the best bang for your buck....and under 250lbs. You can get one for under $2500.:bike_rider:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The XT is a great bike. I'm 6"4" and weigh....well don't ask. An XT200 is plenty for me to putt putt around on. The TW is more or less the same engine.

Personally, I would vote for the TW for a dinghy because you can mount fairly serious luggage racks front and rear, which would probably make it easier to do things like getting groceries, or taking a propane tank to be refilled or fetching back a replacement part for the truck.

If you want something to tour around on while leaving the truck as a base camp, then the XT would be better - but if you want a backup hauler to run into town or in case the truck breaks...I'd say TW.

Here's the back of my truck:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=751197&postcount=51

And a TW with racks:

http://www.cycleracks.com/images/TW200_Bikejpg.jpg

Last edited:

chp-sk8

Adventurer
life boat

I have a f800, an I assure you, this is not what you ant to load or unload off your mog. the TW200 is a nice putter to get you were you need to go, if there is no hurry getting there, but it does have a friendly CG and is light and easy to handle.KTM,Husa bring more peformance and with that is more coin. I think the 250cc and below is plenty to get you were you need to go, for fuel or food. Buy a HAM radio...it might be cheaper:coffeedrink:

womacje

Adventurer
I have to agree with the 200/250 crowd... look around 3rd world countries and you'll see a family on 125 scooter, Central Am locals are 2up on little dirt bikes all the time. power isn't the need for a lifeboat, quick, light and easy to access is! As far as mounting I like the front bumper mount Idea. real accessible and close to an axle.

VicHanson

Adventurer
I've got a Honda CRF230L that I carry in my camper. When I'm loading or unloading it I am glad that it doesn't weigh any more than it does (267 lbs wet) and that it isn't any bigger. I've ridden it on the freeways in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, and then I'm glad it isn't any lighter or smaller! For me it seems to be be about the best compromise, and gets 80-90 mpg compared to my camper's 15. I usually try to go 55 on the freeways, but will sometimes speed up to 60 or 65 if the traffic is too fast and only 2 lanes each way. The bike will do it but sounds a bit strained! It does have rear foot pegs but I haven't ever tried riding double.

Another issue - as I said, mine is inside the camper, I built a garage for that, as well as storage, the camper batteries (6 - Trojan T105) and a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I really like having it inside when I am leaving the camper someplace while hiking or mtn. biking. I would hesitate to do that if it was mounted on the outside. However I probably use it less because it takes extra time to unload and load it. Partly because of extra stuff stored around it. Seems there are always trade offs.

attachment.php

(There is more stuff in there now, including the spare tire and an unmounted spare)

Vic

trasko

Adventurer
Despite this thread's age and everyone's repeated recommendations for the TW200 (aka "tee-dub") I'll go ahead and add my rec. for it, too.

I've got a KLR-650 and a few other bigger bikes. The TW is the way to go for a "lifeboat" bike / tooling-around bike. The others are great bikes but bigger than ideal for this application. I won't expound further as lots of people have already.

Let me also say this: TWs are the best thing on the planet. Any small dual-sport fits the bill. Older DR200 / DR300 / DR350s would be great. KLR-250 or it's close cousin the Super Sherpa. The XT-225 (or 250 or other variants). All good. DRZ-400 is a very popular bike and fits very nicely between the small 200cc bikes and the 650s. It's roughly in the middle by weight and by power output. If you've got a little extra money to spend or you prefer new and modern, the Yamaha WR250X is a great choice. It'll have power closer to the DRZ and fuel-injection. Don't feel stuck on the TW.

Here are the things that make the TW unique (to most, but not all of these bikes):
***The fat tires
The tires make it easier to ride off-road and easier on beginners.

***Air cooled
Most small displacement bikes are air cooled. Most 650's are water-cooled which adds weight and complexity (although the cooling is good for obvious reasons).

***Kick and electric start (2001 and older -- 2001 and up can be modified to add a kicker).

*** Long production run. TWs are still made nearly as they were back in 1989 or 1990 when they started. They are proven and people know their issues. This is a big plus.

Lastly, don't get caught up with all this.
1) All motorcycles are AWESOME.
2) All are "off-road" bikes if you drive them off road.
3) 650cc is considered "small" to "medium" displacement by all other motorcyclists who don't ride off-road. Today's norm in the US is 1000cc and up. Plenty of cruisers are > 1500cc.

jpmccurry

I can't belive nobody has mention the Honda XR 400. Thats what I am in the market for right now to through on the back of the van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior