Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Thank you very much for posting! Africa pure :coffeedrink:

Only if you have traveled in Africa you can fully understand the magnitude of these stories. Sometimes, when I tell my stories people can't or don't believe me... it's just soo out of this world.

Anyhow, thank you again for posting your reports! I'm looking forward for more :ylsmoke:

zolo

Explorer
In short: we used everything we took and didn't miss anything we didn't take. Which does not mean we really 'needed' everything we took.[/QUOTE]

This is the greatest line from the greatest thread currently on here.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring.:victory:
You two are awesome.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
We came across a small motorcycle. You'd see them from time to time, it is the most luxurious transportation people have here. They are litte chinese 50cc (or 125cc) bikes. We stopped to let him pass and he stopped to greet and ask us if we had some oil for his engine.

All over the world there is an unwritten rule that in remote or difficult to travel areas people help eachother. That is why in the sahara everybody says hi to eachother. That is why in the Mongolian steppe people drive for kilometers just to check up on you. People help when needed as they know they will be helped when they are in need. We very much honour this unwritten rule and will always assist when we can.

So when this guy asks for oil, I do not hesitate and take out a my spare can of oil. I warn him that this is oil for diesel engines, but that does not matter to him. It is probably the best oil he would ever find to put in his little bike. As I am pouring oil from my can in his can the passenger of the bike starts begging with Josephine. I am not impressed when Josephine tells me. And when the bike owner too start to ask for money, it really pisses me off. We are helping this guy and still he begs for more? So I pour the oil out of his can back into mine and tell them to sod off. In our car and off we go.

For almost a month now we were in a serious fight with Congo. We were fighting against corruption. We were fighting against the roads. A constant battle. Congo was giving us a serious beating, but we stood strong and did not give in. Slowly but steadily we were winning this battle against the Congo.
But while we were so busy battling the roads and the corruption, Congo sneaked in from behind. It had transformed us into loud and angry people. With no remorse, no compassion, and a total lack of rules.

What happened to the unwritte rule of the road less travelled? The rule we nohour so much? All out of the door..

Congo had beaten us a long time ago already. Just like it had beaten most of its own citizens.. And we didn't have a clue

"The horror! The horror!"

epic report. you two showed a great christian heart to everyone. even though at times you broke. it's ok.

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
naarilebo029.jpg

1614390122222.png

The road from Kananga to Ilebo goes mostly trough forest, but Pembeyange is situated on top of a hill in a beautiful plain. Really pictoresque.

kananga%20074.jpg

1614390134086.png
Upon our arrival in the (small) village everybody went completely nuts. Children cheered and ran after us, we had our usual crowd again. As they guided us trough the village towards the mission it showed that people here do not have notions about cars. They led us between huts, trough gardens, ... This was the way they always took to walk to the mission, but they failed to see that this was impossible with a car. As we did not want drive over peoples houses we backtracked and had to find ourselves another route to the mission. In the meantime the children had great fun climbing on our wheelcarriers. The wheelcarriers are not made for this kind of weight and one of them broke off... great! This was so much fun that the now targetted the other wheelcarrier. Josephine had to walk behind the car to keep the kids off.

Unfortunately the father of this mission was not there, but his apprentice was. A very young guy, fresh out of school. He was not happy to be here, that much was clear. He did nothing else but complain and he would whine on endlessly. He was not a bad guy, but was wan't very good company either.. oh well.

The mission had a small toilet hut. A hole in the ground affair with a roof on top, the roof was very low, which made it difficult to 'do your thing'. When Josephine made use of the facilities she could hear something rustling in the roof. When she look up she was face-to-face with a thin green/brown snake. I had never seen Josephine run so fast! From her description it could have been a green mamba? When told to the 'maman' who took care of the mission she too was scared and with great care she chased the snake a way. "Très dangereux" apparantely.

kabombo001.jpg

1614390144511.png

kabombo004.jpg

1614390152111.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
- Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
- Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pièces" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
kabombo015.jpg

1614390378488.png

kabombo016.jpg

1614390384950.png

kabombo024.jpg

1614390433725.png

The following pictures were from within the car when we just tipped over. As it happened again we were just sitting still for a minute before getting into action again. The kids would curiously came and see why this car was on its side, and why the passengers wouldn't come out.

kabombo026.jpg

1614390443406.png

kabombo027.jpg

1614390451454.png

And then they would ask for money.

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
The rest of the day we spent mostly underground... and quite a lot of time was spent on our sides. Got stuck a few times and our spade saw some hours of work today.

kabombo017.jpg

1614390482490.png

kabombo018.jpg

1614390489013.png

kabombo019.jpg

1614390495608.png

kabombo020.jpg

1614390501888.png

kabombo021.jpg

1614390509645.png

We were too exhausted to be happy that we could finally see Ilebo in the distance. We knew nothing about the city. We would have to arrange a ferry here to get across the Kasai river. Or worst case, arrange a barge to Kinshasa.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
So Fredirik, after speaking to the truck guys

....................what was your plan if you had an un-reparable failure of your truck ?

as one walking out and the other staying at the side of the road is obviously not a choice you had !

Pretty sure you must have had the discussion with your partner !

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Hi uk4x4, if you don't mind, I am going to wait with my answer to that question until later in the report. You'll understand when we get there ;-)

boozewz

Observer
Thanks

Frederik,

I've been a silent lurker on this forum for some time, and this thread has compelled me to sign up and post a comment. This is a true adventure in every sense of the word, and your positive spirit and way the way you go about your trip is extremely refreshing.

As much as a number of people might not have the stomach/balls to do such a trip in the DRC, I am sure everybody is jealous of your endevours.

Chapeau mon frere, chapeau!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
- Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
- Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pièces" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"

I had to read this three times. That is unbelievable! Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles