Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
As I understand it they are already back home and he is working now to fund the next trip. Probably just work getting in the way. I hate when that happens. :sombrero:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Seriously now has anyone called all the local hospitals, jails, families, and garages:coffeedrink: etc?

:wings: YAHOO I knew it! I knew someone would ask eventually!:wings:

I am sure it is coming soon.

Though I do recall a line from Farris Bueller's day off.

"Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller? "

GetOutThere

Adventurer
You guys are killing me. When I saw it was on page 49 I was sure there's be an update... but nope... just the peanut gallery! :coffeedrink:

cwsqbm

Explorer
we're all like a bunch of cracked out update junkies lol
But the problem is, we can't just go to another dealer. They have a monopoly on the best story I've read here. Its just not fair! If necessary, setup a paypal account so we can send money for the story to continue....

JayBlack

Been Lurking for a while just getting into the overland world but I have read this site for some time , This story has had me either on time for work everday or early with a cup of coffee ready to read ..Without this story continuing I will be late for work and thus fired , so Please help a family man keep his job and continue the story .... ! :sombrero:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Maybe they aren't back in Belgium. Maybe the story ended because now they're being held hostage somewhere in the Congo and the kidnappers won't release them until ExPo takes up a collection to pay their ransom!

Wander

Expedition Leader
So we last hear from our intrepid explorers on Saturday, Christian promises a surprise to ease the delay and now it's Wednesday with no up date!! The suspense is killing me.

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Day 32

We felt at ease here in Kikwit. We could feel the stress of the state of roads making place for the stress on how to get our car back in a proper condition again. Energetic Frère Jean-Marie came to us with a suggestion to use his mechanics. He had two guys who did all the maintenance stuff on the mission's vehicles. Fair enough. They made an inventory of all the required parts and set off to see if they were available and how much they would cost.

This left us waiting at the mission's guesthouse. They had simple rooms for 15$US a night but without mosquito nets. So we camped in the yard and used the rooms to have a toilet and a shower (what a luxury!).

Every morning we were in Kikwit we would get a visit from the same souvenir seller. It's the first time we met somebody who sells souvenirs in Congo. Not surprisingly as there aren't many people to sell souvenirs to. It was an older guy and he had this determination that souvenir sellers have. We are always very hesitant of showing interest as that means they will not stop trying until you buy something. But we gave in in the end as he had some cool looking stuff and he actually entertained us quite well. We showed interest in a chess game but could not agree on a price.

Later that day the mechanics came back with a list of parts. Most of the parts were not available in Kikwit and would have to be ordered in Kinshasa. And the others were just plain expensive. 200$ for a chinese-made battery, this reeked. We honestly asked Frère Jean Marie about this and he seemed to be a bit embarrased about the topic. He did not deny the prices were inflated but he shrugged at it and said we could afford it anyway. That was a bit dissapointing because we couldn't.

Then came a phone call. It was Paolo, an Italian working for CTB. We had received his contacts earlier and sent him a text message that we were in Kikwit. Paolo, being Italian, has this Italian way of talking and handling things. Flamboyant is the right word I think. He was the right man in the right place for sure!

Paolo is one of these guys that breath Africa. He had lived and worked for many years in Africa, seemingly only in the most horrific troubled areas. He lived in Kikwit now. He would help us to try to get a second opinion on the parts and at the same time invited us to stay at his place.

That night Paolo took us to a restaurant. The only 'restaurant' in Kikwit that served something else then fufu. The only restaurant per se. People here do not have a habit of eating out. The restaurant was a bit hidden away in a flooded backyard and consisted of little more then a few plastic chairs and tables and a makeshift braai. It was owned and run by an older Lebanese guy. He had this horrible cough and looked terrible as if he could drop dead any minute. A younger Lebanese was there too, he had recently arrived 'for business'. I did not ask about his business. I probably did not want to know. But he was a nice guy and even brought a Sheesha. These three were the only 'white people' in Kikwit. They would come together almost every night for a greasy meatskewer with french fries. It's the only thing there was. I loved it.

Why is that they only really hanged out with the three of them in a city of many hundred thousands? Paolo was married to a Congolese (she lived in Kinshasa) so he even spoke the language. The real reason is that once you befriend Congolese one gets caught up in the 'favour' mentality. You cannot deny a favour to a friend. Paolo, as the responsible for CTB had a 'business' to run. He would have hundreds of friends instantly and very soon the first 'favours' would be asked. Jobs, material, money. It would make it impossible for him to work here. He was friendly to his staff and treated them with respect. But he did not befriend them, because it would make his life impossible.

Day 33

The souvenir seller came back and we barthered and joked for another hour but we did not agree on a price.

Together with Paolo we went to the Technical School of Kikwit (not sure of the name, not the one of the Jesuïtes). This is where youngsters get their education as mechanics. The teachers had tons of experience and should know Landcruisers in-and-out. After some negotiation and thanks to Paolo we finally agreed on a price. It was less then half of what we were orignally asked for by the other mechanics. And they would start the work that same afternoon in the yard of CTB.

First job was to dismantle both the front and rear axles. The front to see what was broken. And the rear to fix the leaking seals and see if we could find some planetary gears that were in better condition then the ones we bought in Dibaya-Lubwe.

kikwit018.jpg

1614396987226.png

Front diff had the same problem as the rear one. Only here both the sun and the planetary gears would have to be replaced.

kikwit017.jpg

1614396994431.png

These would need to be ordered from Kinshasa and flown in. That's not easy task to get organized.

By now we also nearly ran out of cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke