Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

the Rewster

Observer
Fantastic adventure. I felt like I was there, but without the bugs.
Keep it up. You might really consider writing about you adventures. You know, to help pay for more. I am a fan.

DaveJKJ

I joined this forum today because of this thread. I just had to tell you that your adventure was the best thing I ever read. The most fantastic and gutsy excursion ever.

Cheers to you both, Fredrick and Josephine.

:beer:

:safari-rig:

Dave

taco2go

Explorer
I did a few more sketches, trying to go for the illustrated travelog look from the sixties- the golden age of of cross-continental overlanding. Hope you like it.
Got to see part of the OV Live video - F and J you're now officially media darlings. :)

1119399902_5hAFJ-M.jpg

F & J,

most amazing story ! what I was wondering and haven't found so far: what was the travel library ? what maps, guide books, etc...did you use ? I suppose you bought a lot if not everything along the way since your trip got a little longer than originally planned for..:), but any good advice for guides/books/maps/... to give ?

thx,
lode

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I did a few more sketches, trying to go for the illustrated travelog look from the sixties- the golden age of of cross-continental overlanding. Hope you like it.
Got to see part of the OV Live video - F and J you're now officially media darlings. :)

1119399902_5hAFJ-M.jpg

That sketch is awesome!

brianp59

Thank you Frederick and Josephine for sharing your adventure through the DRC with all of us. You did it the only way you could have, your way!!

Brian

**can't wait to listen/see the podcast**

***and yes, I just signed up to say Thank you***:elkgrin:

turbohaulic

What an amazing story!:Wow1: Thanks for sharing. Its an inspiring story that had me hooked from the begining. I really hope you keep traveling and writing reports!!:smiley_drive:

akajester

Thank you for sharing this amazing story with everyone. I read it yesterday and my head is buzzing with all sorts of things that I can't explain in words. I need to register just to say thank you to you and your wife.

Dale

JOKEREMPIRE

Thanks Fred & Jo you've made this Friday quite enjoyable :coffeedrink:

I wish you all the best for your lives and many more years of adventure travel.

Steve

Malu

Malu

I discovered the story of your epic journey (actually just the Congo Chapter) yesterday, accidentally, and read it through, saving the finish for today. (Had to work overnight.) It brought back many memories. As a child in Congo I remember driving from Johannesburg to Kananga and from Matadi to Kananga. Later, just out of college my boyfriend and I drove from Kinshasa to Kananga, in yes, a Landcruiser. But that was 30 years ago and while it was a big project it was not the same ordeal you experienced. It may have been easier for me, as I could converse to a limited degree in Lingala, Tshikete and Tshiluba and had grown up in the Kasai with an African name. I often found when framed as the rich white person that I could quote a local proverb or figure that removed that distance. Thanks for the memories, photos, and frank style. About that book, could you use an editor? Thanks again. (just registered in order to send this note, but look forward to more armchair exploration...until I can get out there again.)

Blind Studios

I've been a lurker here on EP for a while, and found your write up through a link on Pirate4x4.

VERY entertaining read.

Thank you for sharing the story.

-Jeff

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles