Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

nat

Adventurer
Hi guys, thanks again for all the great feedback! Apologies for our silence of the last weeks. We spent some much needed time in Marocco... With our Landcruiser ofcourse ;-)

2011maroc512.jpg

I still owe you guys two posts: one with practicalities about the route (gps info,..) and one with a bit more info about equipment. It will not be for this week, but it's coming... soon(ish). :)

Very nice!

AfricanFarmer

Thanks Frederik and Josephine for the very thrilling expedition report. I realy enjoyed reading about it as I could recognise allot of your travelling troubles with the troubles I had when I was living at my farm in Zambia. (Siavonga) Tho Zambians aren't as um aggressive as the Congo people, the begging and the "masungo" (white people) prices are there. And Southern part of Zambia is dryer than the rainforests of Congo so my bush driving wasn't in mud but in sandy track and rocks. Well unless its rainy season then we had high waters. Deepest I drove in was up to the hood of the Discovery. (no snorkel) That was fun :D feelt like driving a boat/submarine.

Im thinking of sharing my Zambian story here allso even if its not a 100% expedition story it have alott of bush driving in it. Also tales of hippos outside the tend, how to bath among crocodiles and how to find land.

But if you find your self in the west coast of Sweden, drop by and ill buy you guys beer. And if you find your self near Siavonga in the southern parts of Zambia let me know and you can stay at eider of my farms.

Cheers for the brave.

CaddyDaddy

Thank you Frederik and Josephine for sharing a window of your life with so many. I also found this wonderful trip report through a link from another forum. I'm so glad I clicked on the link. Your report was addictive. I couldn't get enough and was almost sorry when it ended. I will go back and read it again. If you do decide to publish a book, please remember all of us that requested and offer to buy a copy. You can sent a private message to us all and I'm sure that will ensure thousands of sales.

I will not critique your adventure. I'm just happy you invited me to come with you for a ride of a lifetime. For that, I thank you both. Best Wishes and Happy Trails to you both from the Hills of East Tennessee where we go off road for business and pleasure.

milecruncher

finished the rapturing t'log in 3 hrs flat .... couldn't tear myself off it till the last post .... hats off to you guys ... and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us here:victory:

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I just found this trip report. I spent from 8am this morning until just now 3:30pm in the afternoon with only a 30minute break to read every word.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

You are an inspiration to travel even locally as we have it good here in the US. If you are ever visiting Los Angeles, you have a place to stay...yes, for free ;)

SWbySWesty

EDIT: PS: I have never seen that many views of a thread on any website I've been to...

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Thanks for for taking the time to share your adventure.

Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead! Wow what a wild ride.

Really liked and appreciated your 'honest' summary... doing it for yourself, without all the Ecotopian and Save the Planet 'Green' BS. Bravo well done indeed.

korisu56

Adventurer
@RadioBaobab

I just read every page of this report until the your summary post. Then I used the "Find" feature to look for your screen name to weed out comments (mostly good). This is literally the best story I have ever read, seen, heard. I know there are a lot out there, but this one was exciting enough to keep me up at night reading clicking through the pages. I'm positively envious of you and Josephine's journey around the world in an inspirational way. It has motivated me enough to complete my project and do my first international trip (albeit not as daring, but ya gotta start somewhere, right?). Thank you for the wonderful read.

I'll be looking you up now to see what other reports you may have posted. Again, bravo and thank you.

Chris

KaiserM715

Adventurer
Frederik & Josephine, thank you for a compelling and engaging story that I enjoyed very much.

Taco2go, cool sketches!!

ActualSize

I have to speak up, too!

Thank you for sharing your time and travels with all of us, especially in your third language! Your travels are inspiring to say the least.

Thank you!

PS, feel free to share more anytime!

bawa

Thanks for an awesome report. I have read it a few times already. I am not courageous enough to embark on such a journey - my hats off to you both!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOW...That was one AWESOME read... Such an AMAZING trip mate. Thanks for sharing it with the Expo. THIS is what makes this Site the BEST place on the internet.

EDIT: Talk of "sensetive and technical things" taken to the other thread

This REALLY motivates me to put together a write up on driving through the middle of Australia in my HZJ75... Not QUITE the same level, but we did have some pretty unreal experiences and this just brought all those memories flooding back to me eh. I LOVE IT. I listened to a song I was really into when I was taking on expedition and the memories just came FLOODING back... Isn't it crazy hopw that can happen eh. :)

Cheers and THANK-YOU for sharing.

Dave

Last edited:

pattro

Observer
this is an absolutely amazing thread. You guys inspire me. Like many have said, a book of all your adventures really should be made.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
this is an absolutely amazing thread. You guys inspire me. Like many have said, a book of all your adventures really should be made.
X1,000,000

With all the JUNK that get's passed off as "literature" something like this would REALLY shine through as truly AMAZING. I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the thread that someone IS putting these story's into a book??? Something about an "Overland Manual" or something??? I sure hope so cause you two certainly tell one HELL of a story (and it's all true to boot)

Bear Gryllis got NOTHIN on you two. You guy's put the EXPO in Expedition-Portal eh.

Cheers and No Worries

Dave

What a great read, and amazing trip! Thank you for taking the time to write it up and share it with all of us. We can all take inspriation from your willingness to just GO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles