Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

FIELDZY

Hello from Australia!

What a great read, I truly enjoyed every moment of it. thank you for sharing with us.

Cant wait to hear about more of your travels since you undertook this one.

Cheers,

Adam.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I figured I would add a reply, just to keep things going.

Simply put, this was one of the best trip reports I have ever read anywhere.

To the OP, you should not feel any shame in what you are doing. You are living more of a life than most of us ever dream of living. Props, congrats, and thanks for doing this.

Simply awesome.

Bart

outinthewoods

Adventurer
wow thank you for telling your story! When I was in Uganda, there where times we could see the Congo border, and I would just wonder, and want to know...

So thank you!!

landy89

Observer
Thank very much for taking the time to recount your Congolese experience. This forum is eternally in your debt for your time and work. Please ignore many of the 'suggestions', 'advice', and 'criticism'. Only those that do extreme travel have any idea of the daily challenges you encountered. You were perfectly prepared for the Congo and required no other gear; your experience of prior travel, language skills, a common vehicle, some cash money, and incredible adaptability was more than sufficient! Aside from having a on-demand helicopter to fly in support supplies, there is no way to prepare for the variability of mechanical breakdowns (except to have a machine for which parts are as locally available as possible). Only fellow overlanders know that it is not the condition of the roads that is the challenge of overlanding, instead it is the resourcefulness that is required to operate in a place where everything is not at all like back home (eg. no electricity for a drill, no bolts to buy, fuel that is more water than fuel, insects, illness, sourcing water and food, maintaining optimism, etc.). You are true overlanders and this forum is very fortunate to have met you.

Last edited:

SupaRice

Wow... I've just finished reading this. Mostly your posts, very seldom others comments. So sorry if my comments / questions are a repeat.

I think you are just a little bit crazy! :)

Not sure I would ever go to a place like Congo, especially with just my lady friend. I don't mean that in sexist way. I mean, there were only two of you! And one of them the only white lady in every village! That's got to attract some attention! :sombrero:

What was your opinion of the people's regard for their land? Seems to me from all that I've read (mostly in magazines) that Africans on a whole are very ruinous to their environment and have mostly destroyed the animal population there. I understand their plight and pitiful condtions they live in, but did they seem aware of this to you?

Was their major complaint the road conditions? Corruption?

Did feel your life was endangered very often?

What was the scariest moment you remember?

Would you say Congo was the roughest travel you have experienced?

Would you go back to Congo?

I think it's silly for people to say your vehicle choice was not good. Very few vehicles would be well prepared for this outside of a Mog or something like that. Then there are questions about fuel consumption and spare parts. The fact that there are a lot of LC locally is good for spares. I have to say, it does seem foolish to not take a winch or at the very least a tirfor though.

A very good report! Thank you very much for taking the time to post all of this. I've really enjoyed reading about your travels in the Congo and hope that you will post more about your other adventures soon! :smiley_drive:

corax

Explorer
I don't want to take this awe inspiring adventure too far off topic with a social cause, but being humanitarian in nature, I believe it meshes well with this forum and its values. Recently an old friend got in touch to inform me of her goal to raise awareness for, and help, Congolese women. Knowing the power of social media, if you don't have the means for a modest donation, I just ask that you "like" the Lehigh Valley Women Run for Congo Facebook page and maybe share with friends or family who might be interested.

Thank you,
Keith

My interest in supporting the women of the Congo began with Lisa Shannon's book, A Thousand Sisters. Its pages reveal the daily horrors of a country in constant conflict. More than 5.4 million people have died in the conflict in the Congo since 1998. Half of these deaths are children under the age of five. Brutal gang rape and torture are a daily reality. Rape is used as a weapon of war. With your support, Women for Women International can help. Their program in the Congo provides women survivors of war with direct financial assistance, job skills training, rights awareness education, trauma counseling and the opportunity to bond with other women who have endured similar violence and hardship. Their program has accomplished so much, but so much more has yet to be done. Our team's personal run for Congo will take place on May 28, 2011 at Run Lehigh Valley's Mayfair 5k. Please offer your support today to help our team fulfill our goal for the women of Congo.
Run for Congo Women donation site

Portuga

And 80 pages later, and 2 days of on and off reading, i finally registered to the site, and want to just say that your report was amazing.

Congratulations on fulfilling your dream! I intend on exploring Africa whenever i move back to Europe. Hopefully sooner than later.

GreenMtnTaco

Observer
Incredible! Glad I just just discovered this report. Didn't have to wait patiently for the next post. You should honestly find a publisher, or seek out Overland Journal to publish your report. Even after reading it here I'd gladly pay to have it in hard copy and support your next trip. Hell, start a donation page. I'd throw in $10 for a "winch fund" :)

Maglev

Hi,

I Read through the entire report in about 3 days time. One word AWESOME. I've registered myself on The Expedition Portal, primarily to say a BIG THANK YOU to both of you and I hope for the very best for you guys.

Josephine & Frederik, if by any chance you guys plan a trip to India then I'd love to buy you a beer. :)

ColoDisco

Explorer
I don't even know how to thank both Frederick and Josephine. You are my true inspiration. I bought my Discovery with the intention of going on long expeditions overland just as you have. I am a ways from getting there but cannot wait.

Thank you for your entire report, and the follow up. (would love to still hear about the toyota after you finally got back home. I am on your regular site as well caching up on current events.

:coffee:

Harmgrissom

Observer
That was a marvelous read. Thank you to both of your for your thoughts and what you shared.

I grew up on the US Border with Mexico and used to travel there quite frequently - your stories and comments about the cities and the traffic reminded me of Sonoita, Puerto Penasco, Mexicali and pretty much everything south of there. :sombrero:

Your choices to fearlessly tackle the obstacles of the trail was simply staggering. I was amazed and honestly it makes me want to start practicing different languages and I'd fear that is the one major obstacle for me in jumping into an adventure of this sort.

If we could convince you to share more of your stories in written form, book form especially I will add my voice to the chorus of those who would wish to buy it - and if you need extra incentive - maybe that could fund your next major adventure! :victory:

cdm

Adventurer
One of the best trips on here. It is very how can i put it, simplistic in approach and execution. You just drove it as you came. As inspiring as it is, i lost my cool a few times just by reading the posts. If i were in your situation (which i will never put myself into because i have no desire to be in it), i would have lost my composure by day 5.

So here is what i learned. Travelling across the congo is awesome if you just throw money around. You can quite literally get people to carry your truck on their shoulders.

Travelling across the congo is pretty much impossible without doing the above. Gotta love it. :coffee: You lose both ways really. First way you arent really doing it, and 2nd way, you have everything against you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles