Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

ColoDisco

Explorer
Sweet!! Fix that winch. You will not regret it as you well know! :D

Keeping an eye out for more info on that build!

xpdishn

Adventurer
Yes, that is a winch you see! It's broken though... ;-)[/QUOTE]

Love the symmetry between the old and the new. For some reason I get the feeling that the fixing is not that high on your list of "to do's". Sure wish people could get beyond their fixation with the winch.

I read your trip report in real time and it was (and of course, still is) the most amazing story. THANKS again for all the effort you two put into this.

Sweet!! Fix that winch. You will not regret it as you well know! :D

Keeping an eye out for more info on that build!

jfj

Observer
I am just on page 35 of the 82 page reports; I could hardly imagine how you could have survived such difficult adventure without a complete recovery equiptment and to think that there were only two of you who undertook such journey.

Anyway, as I understand that there is another one being on the drawing board, please consider this as an invitation should you venture into Southeast Asia and include my country, the Philippines as one of your destinations. I am sure your experience here would be totally different from what you have narrated. We have offroad clubs in different parts of the Philippines and I am quite sure that members or even non members would extend a helping hand to you in case you need it. Do not hesitate to send a personal message to me.

Guderian

Hi RadioBaobab/Frederik,

First - Read the entire thread end to end started yesterday morning and ended today. Was totally captivated.
Second - Registered on this forum.
Third - Putting up this post. My very first one on this forum.

Fantastic thread, fabulous read and fantabulous adventure. Hats off to you and Josephine for pulling this off. Very inspiring indeed. Loved the attitude displayed all through the Congo run.

And not to forget your trusted steed - Toyota LC !

Salute !

thecriscokid

Explorer
Another captivated reader. I have had this thread open on my phone for a few weeks. I always looked forward to having a few minutes to read. I am currently on a train and had time to finish reading about a small but amazing section of your long trip. Love the cliffhangers! Another thank you for your time writing. Happy cruising

Wow, all 83 pages in 1 day! This was one of the best threads I have ever read!!! Thanks for the inspiration, and look forward to your future adventures!!

If you're ever in Oklahoma, there's a cold beer with your name on it!!!!

B.L. Sims

Observer
Im not sure what to say that hasnt already been said before or without stepping all over my tongue in the process. If I could sum it up in short id say this is a textbook/storybook example of what a bare bones "back to your roots" expedition adventure is- and the story telling is supurb! A book would be easily done and I dare say a film made of your adventure would be most entertaining.

Im sorry you seem to have gotten so much grief from people here over your refusal to be taken advantage of. Im surpried yet im not. Ill keep the rest of my comments to myself, but I offer you a quote from out of our greatest presidents. Not because I feel you need it but thought id share anyways and he says it better than any one person could:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

- TR

You, Sir, and your Lady have been in the blood, sweat, tears, and mud. You both know the highest victories and the lowest defeats- yet came out on top. Pay no attention to those "cold and timid souls"

dule0911

I read about you guys a couple of months ago (maybe a year ago) in the Serbian edition of the German magazine "Auto Bild", and was impressed.
Now, that I've read one of your journeys, I'm stunned. Yes, it took me all day yesterday, but it was well worth the time!
Thank you for the amazing share!

Manuuj

Dear F&J,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your adventure. I chanced upon this thread on an Indian Forum from a thread of Guderian who posted above. (Hi there General!)

I read the post in one go from around lunchtime to now (around 7:30 PM here) and was thankful that it had been completed and i did not have to wait for updates like other fellow members who are undoubtedly all missing fingernails. It made for a gripping read and i was completely hooked and re-read some parts again and again (.."been here for just over a year now" stranded truck crew..the hatchet wielding villagers chasing you among many others)

This captures the true essence of adventure and though it may be only a part of your greater trip its more than what i can ever hope to achieve.

I look forward to reading much more of your adventures soon and i hope the negative feedback by some people has not put you off from sharing with us in the future. As you rightly pointed out this is a thread about a trip and not a commentary on living conditions and the psychology and habits of third world inhabitants. Nor are you required to rescue them. I noticed that you did help a fellow traveller (Oil for Scooter) but were put off by his demand for money. Though his act reeked of greed and he deserved the lesson he may have learnt, in his defense, he probably did not know better. If all you do since you are born is to struggle for survival in those medieval conditions begging becomes a way of life..and to some even a right. I feel you did the right thing though by taking back that oil. Maybe next time he will just say "thank you" and move on.

Your trip also highlighted that all is never truly lost. There is always a way. And if there isn't one a true traveler makes his/her own. The 150 $ that you gave the group of highway gangmen for their gargantuan efforts in seeing you through may seem less to some and fair to you and me but was evidently more than what they expected which feels good. What was depressing was their intention to spend it on whiskey/brandy/cognac.

What really also struck a chord was how much I take things for granted in New Delhi which would be quite a luxury in other parts of the world like DRC. Maybe i will complain a lot less now. I am sure there are a few parts of India which are in a similar condition but i doubt you will find one Indian who doesn't know what "Internet "is..hahaha..just kidding!

I hope to start my quest by travelling overland in my own country first someday.

Someday.

Last edited:

sydneyman

Observer
Long time lurker, first time posting... its already been said but wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to post about your adventure and for the brutal honesty! Read like a book, i sat in the same chair for 7(!) hours getting to page 54 or so... truly an epic tale! and to think it was such a small part of your journey! Thanks again and good luck in the future!

sydneyman

Observer
Hi RadioBaobab/Frederik,

First - Read the entire thread end to end started yesterday morning and ended today. Was totally captivated.
Second - Registered on this forum.
Third - Putting up this post. My very first one on this forum.

Fantastic thread, fabulous read and fantabulous adventure. Hats off to you and Josephine for pulling this off. Very inspiring indeed. Loved the attitude displayed all through the Congo run.

And not to forget your trusted steed - Toyota LC !

Salute !

+1!

Guderian

I chanced upon this thread on an Indian Forum from a thread of Guderian who posted above. (Hi there General!)
Hi Manuuj,
Thanks for the honourable mention in despatches - by revealing the source !
Couldn't agree with you more on most of the points.
And more so with the observation that drawing inspiration from F&J we should explore our own country first. Bravo.
And now I am quite determined.
Catch up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior