Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

pkripper

Someone recommended this report in another thread and I am so glad I read it. Reads like a novel. Unbelievable experience and very good writing style. Very easy to sit back and Monday morning quarterback the decisions when you have no intention of taking on something of this consequence. The only thing I would do differently is recovery gear. Winch is the one thing I will always own on a 4wd vehicle and I know that has now been addressed but it makes the feat that much more impressive. This tale is what overlanding means to me. Hope you are both doing well and would love to be directed to any other adventures you guy's may have done.

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Thanks for the writeup! I registered an account just to say that, and to see higher-res photos -- although they're still all such low res due to having used 2008 digital cameras! I guess you'll have to do it again
PS: Your website, which I can't find again offhand, seems to be mostly broken -- most of the country links don't go anywhere.
Thanks for the writeup! I registered an account just to say that, and to see higher-res photos -- although they're still all such low res due to having used 2008 digital cameras! I guess you'll have to do it again with new equipment? ;).

With expensive camera gear, we would have been even more out of place :) we were already uneasy with taking out the 100€ point-and-shoot camera we had at the time. I think the terrible oictires quality actually adds to the story, it wouldn’t be the same with national geographic quality pictures ;-)

PS: Your website, which I can't find again offhand, seems to be mostly broken -- most of the country links don't go anywhere.

the website is at www.radiobaobab.be and has just gotten a complete overhaul as we are on a next big adventure.We kept the old site as well (in the menu: old site), including broken links, for memories sake

RadioBaobab

Adventurer
Someone recommended this report in another thread and I am so glad I read it. Reads like a novel. Unbelievable experience and very good writing style. Very easy to sit back and Monday morning quarterback the decisions when you have no intention of taking on something of this consequence. The only thing I would do differently is recovery gear. Winch is the one thing I will always own on a 4wd vehicle and I know that has now been addressed but it makes the feat that much more impressive. This tale is what overlanding means to me. Hope you are both doing well and would love to be directed to any other adventures you guy's may have done.

we carry a winch for a few years now.Used it only a handful of times in that period, although never to get us unstuck.Rather fior getting other people unstuck or moving things. But that debate has been done too lich already :) Happy travels.

Chuckles!

Observer
A decade later......still waiting on that chess set pic :LOL:

man-relaxing-waiting-chess-opponent-27101016.jpg

Levieuxchasseur

Dear Frederique and Charlotte. Thanks for your story. I binge-read it in one go. And one question that popped in mind was “Why”? You answered it in the wrap up and I admire you for your viewpoints. Indeed, there is a difference between helping somebody and going to a charity dinner transferring some money on an account for somebody somewhere. The one is activism and the other is managing reputation. As Chouniard said; “I’d rather be an activist.” I admire your activism. Would love to read more of your stories. And always welcome for a Beer in Brussels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles