Hybrid View

Default Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Congo Zaire

Featuring

Josephine:

Frederik:

and our trusty steed:

[/quote]

Map of congo. Lubumbashi in the bottom right corner. Kinshasa on the left.

Or as depicted on our Michelin 746 map

The Michelin is a pretty good map but it has a few known flaws. One of the biggest flaws is probably the "Route National 1" in DRC.. as we are soon to find out...

I will be posting this report as I write it.. please be patient ;-)

Looking forward to more.
    Oriental -Occidental.
    Joash R

2002 Double Cab Bakkie/1997 LX450 Imvubu/2012 Royal Enfield C5 Pippa /2014 Honda CB1100 DLX
    If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -Samuel Butler

Frederik,

Thanks for finally posting this! You know how long I have been waiting...

Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Sorry for the delay, I had some problems logging in.

Thanks Taco & Christian for the enthousiasm :-)

The story starts in Pionee... No, that's not true, it actually starts 2 years earlier, but I will come back to that later. So for now let's start this story at in Pioneer campsite just outside Lusaka where we treat ourselves on some home made French fries (but as you all know, French fries have got nothing to do with France, as they have been invented by the Belgians!)

We deserved it as it had been about 600 days since we last seen set foot in our home country and we missed the food! The other reason was that we were not expecting to be eating good in the next month or two. After all we were about to go deep into the Congo (Democtratic Republic of Congo, Congo-Kinshasa or Congo-Zaire, all the same but I will refer to it simply as "Congo").

As supplies would be very hard to get we decided to stock up on supplies. I know that for South Africans it very normal to transport an entire pick&pay to your destination :twisted: but for us this was very unusual as we usually eat what we can find. But not so in this case, we bought food for an entire month. 3 meals a day. This would prove to be a very good decision

I also gave the Landcruiser a last service, everything was working pretty much as expected, so just the regular oil/filter change. I also stocked up on some good oil (diff + engine) as this would also be hard to get there.

Fully loaded we left Lusaka. We always had a strange anxious/nervous feeling when entering a new country. But this time the feeling was much stronger. Was this the first time we were actualy nervous for entering a country?

I am really enjoying reading your account of your travels.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS
    Motorcycle - SETO

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Landscape Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

This is such good reading.

I would like to see this as an article in Overland Journal.

Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS
    Motorcycle - SETO

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Landscape Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

I agree. With an exploded view of the truck spread across 2 pages- like in the first issue, I think it was Graham Jackson's LR.
    Joash R

2002 Double Cab Bakkie/1997 LX450 Imvubu/2012 Royal Enfield C5 Pippa /2014 Honda CB1100 DLX
    If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -Samuel Butler

Looking forward to the next instalement. Thanks for taking the time to write this up, gives me and others something to do at work

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast