Fuel Bottle ????

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I know there's specific fuel bottles designed for Coleman-type fuel. Is it safe to use one of those stainless water bottles I'm seeing everywhere? Stainless bottle, plastic screw-top with rubber gasket.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I've always used the SIGG alloy bottles, a little lighter and they get dented a lot but never leak for me. They used to have a 1.5 liter fuel bottle that was perfect for extended trips.

REI has a filler cap for these that works well too.

Rich

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I would stay away from water bottles. The rubber used in the gasket may not be able to handle fuel. I have always used the MSR fuel bottles when backpacking and they work great with no leaks. They have a couple different sizes to chose from.

Phreak480

Army Guy
shouldn't be a problem to find real fuel bottles at most good sporting goods stores. i have gotten a few this way. and yeah sometimes i manage to dent them but have never had 1 leak and i like having a few different sizes. if i'm on foot running around with the army i wont carry as much fuel as i would if i am vehicle bound.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
A few years ago, I was using a MSR fuel bottle as a water bottle. The 1 liter aluminum water bottles at that time were 25-30 dollars. The MSR was only $15:)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Why would you do this? Cost? Cool factor of posh designs on the bottles? Availability? I’m just trying to wrap my head around this. With a little research I found that Sigg says no BTW.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Why would you do this? Cost? Cool factor of posh designs on the bottles? Availability? I’m just trying to wrap my head around this. With a little research I found that Sigg says no BTW.

Cost would likely be the leading factor.
Fuel bottles run between $10 and $25 but you can sometimes find metal water bottles for $5 or less.

As mentioned though, the quality of the plastics and seals are a factor. There could even be an issue with the fuel eating away at the lining inside the water bottle and contaminating the fuel = your engine.

Primus makes some great fuel bottles including a 1.5L

However I would not suggest the Brunton fuel bottles, I had the plastic cap on one actually shrink to the point that the threads would no longer catch.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Many bottles sold as fuel bottles are not lined. For those drinking out of a fuel bottle, you're drinking out of a raw aluminum bottle. All aluminum bottles sold as drinking bottles have a lining in them. As stated above, the fuel bottles are paired with caps and seals that are durable enough to contact fuel. Water bottle seals will not last long with fuel.

Personally, I would advocate a boycott of Sigg, and I'm not a boycott kind of dude. For almost a year they told the world their aluminum bottles were lined with a substance that contained zero BPA (not a good substance). In that time they made millions as other bottle companies scrambled to come up with non-BPA plastics and linings. Then.....Sigg announces they actually did have BPA in their linings. Many of us retailers sent back our inventories of Sigg bottles with a nice nasty gram. This is why they're now sold in Target. The lesson is - don't lie to the public about your product.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
A few years ago, I was using a MSR fuel bottle as a water bottle. The 1 liter aluminum water bottles at that time were 25-30 dollars. The MSR was only $15:)

I would suggest not doing this. Disregarding the seal/lining issues, what happens if, in the middle of the night, you decide you want a drink of water? You might accidentally drink from your fuel bottle with fuel instead of your fuel bottle with water.

With a physically different bottle, it would be harder (not impossible) to drink/consume the wrong product.

Sirocco

Explorer
I would suggest not doing this. Disregarding the seal/lining issues, what happens if, in the middle of the night, you decide you want a drink of water? You might accidentally drink from your fuel bottle with fuel instead of your fuel bottle with water.

With a physically different bottle, it would be harder (not impossible) to drink/consume the wrong product.

thats assuming you carry a fuel bottle also ;) some of us dont.

interesting story about Sigg BTW.

G

BigAl

Expedition Leader

I agree with your premise in theory but if you have ever siphoned gasoline, you'd know that it's pretty hard to accidently drink very much fuel. Though aluminum poisoning could explain my nervous twitch:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior