Pop Top Design Help

labbe66

Observer
I recently purchased an AWD Astro and among the myriad of ambitions I have for the van is a Pop Top. I have many different ideas ranging from scouring for a used GTRV Astro that I could swap the top off of (Ala Herbie) to a fully custom designed pop top. Right now I need a little help for my research. Primarily some dimensions from VW pop tops. There are a few around but I feel a little invasive crawing around one with a tape measure if I don't know the owner and the right oportunity hasn't popped up to introduce myself. My goal is to see how much if any I could reuse from a salvaged VW pop top. So right now I just need the overall length and width of the fiberglass pop tops as well as the overall length and width of the fabric sides.

Thanks for your help!

coronan

No love, Bummer. I'm on the same quest.
I have Toyota van I'd like to build a pop top four. VW stuff is expensive. Rockey mountain Westy in Colorado specializes in conversions. They may be able to help you out.

My van is narrower than most. I'm considering building my own maybe with Tonneau cover harware.

Good Luck!

Subscribed.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
No love, Bummer. I'm on the same quest.
I have Toyota van I'd like to build a pop top four. VW stuff is expensive. Rockey mountain Westy in Colorado specializes in conversions. They may be able to help you out.

My van is narrower than most. I'm considering building my own maybe with Tonneau cover harware.

Good Luck!

Subscribed.

Try GTRV for a DIY kit. They ve not done it in the past , but may be now.

coronan

Thanks for the replies!

GTRV does not make a kit for my toyota.

It looks as though any new comercially made pop up runs $5,000! :Wow1: Ouch.

I have yet to come across a pop top in a pick and pull yard.

VW dimensions would be great. Right now I'm considering fabricating my own top. But I am no seamstress and would love to use a pre made VW tent canvas.

Its looking pretty basic after watching several horrible youtube videos of pop top installation and slide in camper building.

An angle iron frame attaches to the roof of the van. Silicone it. The top could be made with an aluminum frame and skin the will fit like an umbrella over the angle.
I'm motivated to have a large Sky light.
http://mobilerik.com/2241/homebuilt-diy-pop-up-truck-camper-toyota-tundra/

How does the tent attach to the van and pop top. I've heard of staples, but can't visualize it.
Anyone got close up pics? A tent swap how to???

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
How does the tent attach to the van and pop top. I've heard of staples, but can't visualize it.
Anyone got close up pics? A tent swap how to???

Sorry I don't have a canvas so no pics.
But the VW top has wood stringers attached to the fiberglass portion of the top. This is where the canvas is stapled.
On the van side if I remember correctly there was a aluminum trim strip which created a sandwich with the van top to hold the canvas.

I'm sure you can find some pics over on the samba forum.

I decided to use the VW top for the simple reason of having a off the shelf tent available and not needing any custom work should a replacement be necessary down the road. I'll get those dims soon. It's been snowing and blowing here the last couple days and I've been busy plowing.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
And just to rub it in :sombrero:

I found a partial VW westy for $150 towed it home and pulled the top off of it for my project. Then sold the transmission for $100 and scrapped what was left for $120. So deals are out there just keep you eyes open.

I hate to admit what I scrapped with another westy I got for $100 :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94