EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
This XV-JP originally came from EarthRoamer with a Teraflex suspension and, while it was decent on a trail, I didn't like the pavement handling at all. In fact, all the flex seemed to me to make it scary on freeway-speed curves. So I wanted to change it pretty early on. The suggestion to change to the nth Degree, now AEV, suspension came from Scott Brady who had had good success with it when he had an XV-JP with 3.5 inch in the front, 4.5 inch in the rear.

A stock XV-JP weighed about 7K pounds, as did mine after the mods, so I can't tell you how my setup would work for a heavy, but still lighter, built up JK. For my truck, though, I don't believe I could have done better. Pavement and trail performance were both all I could have hoped for. Sadly, though, that's as far as my expertise goes; I haven't much experience with other options.

Good luck.

What I was leaning towards is similar to what you mentioned. 2.5" springs up front and 3.5" springs in the rear. Im hoping that will work. But thank you for that information.

ome

I run ome and I have a 3inch lift. I am running the heavy duty springs I find them much better than stock. with my stock springs the weigh of my warn bumper 155lbs and a 10k winch collapsed the front springs to the point where they only1/2inch travel . The ome springs solved that . give them a second look there are longer versions.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
32 - Exterior bolt-ons...

Whew, what a month...!!!... The wedding was amazing and so was Barcelona... Good to be back and continuing to make progress on the Jeep...

P1150529.JPG

(above) Handicap grab bars were bolted on to the curb side cabin... Primarily to be a stand-on bar to access the roof rack and vertical bars are for hand holds to get up to the rack... As you can see the horizontal bar doubles as a traction-pad tie-down... The vertical bar nearest the propane locker will also have a detachable shower head mount...

P1150530.JPG

(above) Off the back an aluminum box was bolted to the door... It will likely be the dry food locker...

P1150531.JPG

(above) The box lid will also function as a food prep area when opened up...

P1150535.JPG

(above) On the driver side the hi-lift jack is mounted forward of the spare wheel... The jack base will fit inside the spare wheel rim...

P1150533.JPG

(above) The jack has aluminum backing plates to disperse the pressure points on the shell... An all-steel post hole shovel (acquired from a toothless, Asian man who barely spoke English, on Route 66 in the California desert, for $5.00) , is mounted to the jack...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I like the side mounted spare. Nice to not have to open a swing out just to access the rear space.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Over the weekend the new water tank was connected to the pump, accumulator tank, water heater and the angle stops... Lots of hoses, lots of connections...The tank was filled, the pump turned on ant it ran leak free for a half hour... Yessss...!!!...

Moving on to the inside next...

What sucks is I am on Jury Duty on a two to three week trial and need to do day-job work over the weekends... Grrrr...!!!!...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Just a quick note to say that progress on the Jeep is all mental right now... I am on a two to three week jury duty obligation... I am playing catch up on paying work on weekends... Sorry for so little to show lately... Hang in there...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
33 - Water System Finalization

P1150554.JPG

(above) Most of it fits under the passenger seat...

P1150555.JPG

(above) A lot in a tight space, as usual...

P1150557.JPG

(above) Propane locker on the left, water tank on the right...

P1150558%2B-%2BEdited.jpg

(above) Shower hose coming out of the side...

P1150560.JPG

(above) Propane locker with hot/cold shower...

P1150561.JPG

(above) Locker door...

P1150562.JPG

(above) Nothing to look at, keep moving...

P1150563.JPG

(above) Added an amber turn signal light...

The roof got primed too... It's good to be back...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
34 - Electrical Component Placement

P1150567.JPG

(above) Major progress on some important issues: Placement of Batteries, Battery charger, Inverter, Air heater, and Solar controller...

P1150568.JPG

(above) This shows how things will fit within the area under the bench seat/bed... The larger black hose on the right side of the floor will be a secondary propane lead for the rear door kitchen...

P1150566.JPG

(above) The fuses / breakers will be within a custom wood panel just inside of the rear door on the hinge side...

More to do, but getting these things located was a big deal to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles