EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
What a glorious sunset that was. It really kind of snuck up on us. Without the storm clouds it would have looked boring above.

Mike, remind me (again) why you won't be changing the upper pull-out storage/(currently left side upper bunk) into a right side upper bunk?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Mike, remind me (again) why you won't be changing the upper pull-out storage/(currently left side upper bunk) into a right side upper bunk?

I haven't changed it because I'm almost always using it solo and thus I can sleep on the lower bunk, and by removing the upper bunk, I get more additional storage space than I can possibly use. The lower bunk is plenty comfy--though admittedly not quite as comfy as the palatial upper bunk with the MegaMat--and it allows for sleeping with the roof closed.

And since the camper is too small to fit you and Boo and acquaintances, you're not going to buy it, so I sort of lost motivation for the change. :sombrero:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I haven't changed it because I'm almost always using it solo and thus I can sleep on the lower bunk, and by removing the upper bunk, I get more additional storage space than I can possibly use. The lower bunk is plenty comfy--though admittedly not quite as comfy as the palatial upper bunk with the MegaMat--and it allows for sleeping with the roof closed.

And since the camper is too small to fit you and Boo and acquaintances, you're not going to buy it, so I sort of lost motivation for the change. :sombrero:

Ha, touché! We just need to figure out how to extend the ER cabin after we extend the frame a bit. Might take some head scratching that. Plus then it'd need a Hemi swap to pull the future horse trailer. :26_7_2: So all in all, you should probably keep it for now.

Thunderbear

Haha! I was the one that tweeted that to MW, and never heard anything back, wasn't sure it got received. Glad it got more eyeballs on that amazing rig!

The interesting thing is that MW focused on all the exterior shots. The JK and TJ have each been done a million ways simultaneously different and alike, so seeing a Jeep build is often monotonous. The absolute intricate craftsmanship and unique choices used by PJ is what set this rig apart. Burnished copper sink, zebrawood interior, mountain sunrise with copper inlay, every interior choice thought out... this is what makes this Jeep an incredible treasure.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Here are the exact ones:

XV-JP footpads.jpg

Click on image to make more readable.

They look to be the same as tthe ones Captain K-man found, except pricier.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
A very handy step when you're on the White Rim Trail and a fellow Jeeper(renter) needs to buy fuel at the price of $9/gal. ;)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
A very handy step when you're on the White Rim Trail and a fellow Jeeper(renter) needs to buy fuel at the price of $9/gal. ;)
Paid for 2/3 of the next night's camping, didn't it? :sombrero:

I'd like to stress that the gas was intended to be free--Code of the West and all--but the grateful and insistent recipient managed to finesse the $20 bill into the truck. Sure hope that was the extra needed and that they're not still out there.

If you weren't so uppity as to be driving a diesel, Jer, you could have given them five gallons.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Paid for 2/3 of the next night's camping, didn't it? :sombrero:

I'd like to stress that the gas was intended to be free--Code of the West and all--but the grateful and insistent recipient managed to finesse the $20 bill into the truck. Sure hope that was the extra needed and that they're not still out there.

If you weren't so uppity as to be driving a diesel, Jer, you could have given them five gallons.

I certainly hope my truck gave your truck the $20.
At that point I didn't have 5gal of diesel to give; I was ~1/4 and stressing a bit. <nailbiting smilie>

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
On the recent trip to southern Utah, the backpack I had strapped to the MPAC Molle rack passed the point of no return:

ER camera 11-4-14 017.jpg

This was expected, and no great tragedy. The backpack, while exactly the size and configuration I wanted, was pretty much an "urban style" thing, sold by Polo Denim, of all people. The material was a cotton-poly blend that seemed to attract dust and was water-resistant only because I'd sprayed it with waterproofer. (Needless to say, I'd gotten it at substantial discount.)

Anyway, it worked long enough for me to feel OK about my very modest investment, but during the trip a zipper seam split and, more to the point, it had so much red dust on it I couldn't imagine that it would ever come clean.

So it was, upon return, time to get something more suitable. That would be a dry bag style sack made of water- and (I trust) dustproof PVC. It turns out that Overboard made one the right size that got good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6LY5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so that's what I got:

ER camera 11-4-14 056.jpg

It's been sitting in the rain lately and the bag is working just fine.

I also took off the Plano plastic storage case and replaced it with a Molle pouch that's configured a little better. (And I wouldn't want to go completely without something to look dusty and trail-worn. ;) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles