Height adjustable rack lift assists???

womacje

Adventurer
How have you guys seen height adjustable racks assisted?

I'd love to see expensive and inexpensive options for this idea. One man and two man operations.

My rack will sit at about 48" and I want standing height under the tent when deployed. I have the tube for telescoping at the four corners. I was thinking gas springs, but the longest stroke I can easily find are 16". Mcmaster has up to 24" but they are priced pretty high priced. I have sourced hydraulic lifts with hand crank pumps for $600, Gas springs with 24" travel , Electric linear actuators, Air actuators,... all for about the same price.

I've thought about scissor lifts, but I think they'd be clunky and unattractive. Cable winch lift type systems, but may be too complicated.

Show me what you'd done, how you've done it, where are cheaper prices,...

Thanks guys.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
It may be a little more complicated... But for the money, a cable system off of a junk pop up would be the cheapest... And when in adjustment work pretty well for a 100-200lbs. There has to be some reason they all use them.

-

womacje

Adventurer
I have searched high and low, probably not enough, and haven't found drawings or a good look at all the guts on the pop up trailer tops. very good idea!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I've never taken a set from a pop-up apart, but I have a drywall lift that uses the same system (divided by 4) and it's pretty simple. They usually have a demo unit setup in the big box stores, and it would be easy to see the system there.

-

KenB1010

I just bought 34"(?) struts from McMaster-Carr for $20 ea. Try p.1188 in their catolog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

womacje

Adventurer
I just bought 34"(?) struts from McMaster-Carr for $20 ea. Try p.1188 in their catolog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ken,

You got my hopes up... the stroke is only 16". 34" is entire length when extended. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles