Jeep/Land Rover 109 hybrid

BBCchris

Observer
Well, I didn't exactly know where to post this since I'm a long time jeep fan slash hoarder. I've been building XJ's for years now and wanted something a bit larger in the back side for camping and cooking ect. It just so happened I stumbled across a fairly decent '68 Land Rover 109' RHD in Seattle that somebody shipped over from Australia and never got around to fixing up. The Rover had a swapped in Holden 6cly bolted to the stock transmission and t-case. So after stripping it down to see what I'm up against and to find what areas need to be replaced due to common rust issues... I came to the conclusion that I wanted to use my favorite and always available motors, the Jeep 4.0 and to use a AX15 mated to the Rover case. I want to keep it "stock" looking but have the reliability and power to keep up with traffic in todays world. I would love to get a hold of a newer rover diesel but due to the fact they are expensive and hard to come by it just makes sense to use a motor that I'm very familiar with good parts availability and seem to last forever. The reason why I'm posting it here is because some people get kinda weird when you change stuff from stock (not saying there is anyone on here like that, but from my experience it makes for a messy thread) If it needs to me moved, I'll move it.
So here is what i picked it up looking like.
1968LR109.jpg

The mighty Holden 6 Red Motor
DSC00840.jpg

Simple interior needing some love
DSC00844.jpg

alosix

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a cool project.

I'd probably throw something in there with a little more power, but to each their own.

good choice on not using the rover section, they'd get pretty touchy about this :coffeedrink:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Is the existing engine an Australia only engine or is it a engine from GM? If it is a GM engine maybe throw a TBI on there and call it done. Lot less work.

JAT

Speculate the 4 liter will do fine... it's got to be about the same power as the choked V8s that came in the later Series machines, no?

BBCchris

Observer
Here are some of the pics of the tear down. I thought of going the V8 route but decided a punched out 4.0l would get it done and its a plus that since its darn near the same size as the Holden.
DSC00848.jpg

Out with the old.
DSC00963.jpg

I do love how everything just comes apart.
DSC00969.jpg

Beach driving permit. lol
DSC00964.jpg

Dirty, stripped frame.
IMG_0037.jpg

Blasted
IMG_0045.jpg

BBCchris

Observer
Is the existing engine an Australia only engine or is it a engine from GM? If it is a GM engine maybe throw a TBI on there and call it done. Lot less work.

JAT

Speculate the 4 liter will do fine... it's got to be about the same power as the choked V8s that came in the later Series machines, no?

Its pretty close to an old Chevy 6 but different enough that none of the stuff fits. It should be very similar to an XJ, weight is very similar and with 4.10's and a 5spd should make it get around ok.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Why dint you just put the cherikee fraim on the Rover body?

Just kidding, cool build. If I were in your shoes though I would clean up the existing parts and toss the useless ones. Go from there and don't worry too much about speed, swap in some newer seats and clean up the rust. If the engine does not start then swap the entire drivetrain off something else- the Jeep 4.0 is a torque engine but do a weight comparison before jumping to conclusions. I do not know the weight of a 109 but if it is over 4500 pounds go to a bigger engine!!!

Best of luck with this, I love the ideas.

BBCchris

Observer
Here is the Jeep 4.0 to AX15 to Rover t-case all mounted up and in the frame. Still need to finish up transmission cross-member.
Shifter is 5" further back than the stock configuration and the motor is further forward than the Holden 6. The AX15 is a lot larger than the stock Rover transmission. Two of the stock cross-members had to be removed, one will be replaced with a removable transmission cross-member. (All the stock Rover components are removed and replaced through the floor, stock cross members are welded to the frame)
IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

-Chris

Last edited:

alosix

Expedition Leader
DSC00963.jpg

Looking @ this pic.. The I6 might really be the better choice here. I'd hate to have to make any sort of V engine fit there.

and if you get bored with it, its only metal.. engines aren't that hard to swap :)

rustyjames

Observer
Cool project! Reliable Jeep 4.0 with the vintage Land Rover look. I love my jeep and my land rover and this is a nice mix of both. Can't wait to see the finished product and here about it's performance. Good luck.

96discoXD

Adventurer
Very cool project. Someday I'll own one of those long wheel base rovers if I can find one in my price range. I think the 4.0 was a great choice for sure. I'll definitely be watching and admiring this build!:coffeedrink:

wacker

Observer
I had a second year in america RR a couple of years ago and loved the space, size and v8 power. I hated the rust, the cost of parts and that I had enough of a project with my TJ. this is really a cool project and I'll definitley be watching. Who wouldn't want a Rover with XJ reliability?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
LRs are really heavy... I'm going to speculate it'll be at least 1000 lbs heavier than a XJ.

The 4.0 is still a lot more power than what came stock in these trucks though - I'm sure it will be fine. Will the transmission live up to the weight is what I'm wondering. I guess so, the Toyotas these transmissions were used in were a lot heavier than XJs too, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior