Bremach T-Rex is now in the USA

haven

Expedition Leader
Let's compare the Bremach T-Rex with the Fuso FG 140 4x4. It turns out that the two vehicles are very similar in size, including height.

engine
T-Rex: 6.0L gas V8
FG: 4.9L four cylinder turbodiesel

MPG
T-Rex: EPA estimate ~12 mpg combined in similar vehicles
FG: ExPo members report 14-15 mpg at 50 mph, 10-12 mpg at 60 mph

torque
T-Rex: 370 ft-lbs
FG: 347 ft-lbs

transmission
T-Rex: ZF 6 speed manual or Allison 5 speed auto
FG: 5 speed manual

4x4
T-Rex: permanent 4x4, central diff lock, rear diff lock (front diff lock optional)
FG: part-time 4x4, manual locking hubs, rear limited slip

Transfer case low range
T-Rex: 3.9 to 1
FG: 1.99 to 1 ? 2.088 to 1 ?

wheelbase
T-Rex: 136 in
Fuso: 138 in

overall length
T-Rex: 206 in
FG: 225 in

brakes
T-Rex: Brembo 4 wheel discs w/ 4 channel Bosch ABS
FG: 4 wheel drums

width of cab, without mirrors
T-Rex: 75 in
FG: 79 in

top of cab height, off-road tires
T-Rex: 98 in
FG: 96 in

gross vehicle weight
T-Rex 13,227 lbs
FG: 14,050 lbs

payload
T-Rex 7480 lbs
FG: 8015 lbs

tires off-road
T-Rex: Michelin XZL 255/100R16 (single rear)
FG: Yokohama 235/85R16 (dual rear)

ground clearance under front diff, unloaded
T-Rex: 11 in
FG: 9 in

cab options
T-Rex: single or double cab
FG: in USA and Canada, single cab only

2011 MSRP
T-Rex ~$95,000
FG: ~$45,000

Factory warranty
T-Rex: ??
FG: 3 years unlimited, 5 years/175,000 miles powertrain

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great info Chip...
but I was under the impression we could not get the Fuso 4x4 in the US as a quad cab?

For a family of 4 setting up an expedition rig there are not many options that include 4 doors and will handle a camper box with enough room for everyone...Earthroamer has the Ford truck setup but not much else is aval.

2dr to 2dr comparing 4wd setups I can understand the T-rex to Fuso, but any more info on a Fuso 4dr?

Oh and I am still the most interested in the gas/electric hybrid since it might take away the need for aux batteries, inverters, solar, gen sets and so much more.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Great info Chip...
but I was under the impression we could not get the Fuso 4x4 in the US as a quad cab?

For a family of 4 setting up an expedition rig there are not many options that include 4 doors and will handle a camper box with enough room for everyone...Earthroamer has the Ford truck setup but not much else is aval.

I looked at every "cabover" truck available in the US as a crew cab, due to the family issue. First, the 4wd conversion is extremely rare and expensive. Second, the cabover crew cabs available in the US market are not built for over-the-highway comfort. As much as I loved the cabover view and shorter wheelbase for a larger box, I decided on the GMC Topkick- proven truck, spacious 4wd crew cab, and easily handles a big box.

But that T-Rex is a cool machine. Definitely the type of rig for when it's just me and my wife on an extended "date" again- about 10 years from now. It'll be all electric by then, or better yet, what was that word we used in the 60's???? Oh yeah, ATOMIC!!!!

A Euro-truck designed for a 2.5L or 3L diesel without a diesel, but with a 6.0 petrol V8? It's a no-go for me, thanks. I have seen the brochure at All Terrain Warriors.
The Chinese "XL" (?Xiao Ling?) is interesting.

Charlie

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Wish it were offered as a rolling chassis (like the J8 ?), leaving it up to the buyer to install the (diesel) engine...

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
I sent email to info@bremachusa.com to ask a couple of questions. Ben Montgomery of the business development department responded. Here is the Q&A

Q1. Is the gas-hybrid drivetrain provided by General Motors? Or a new product developed by Global-E?
A1. The gas-electric series hybrid was developed by BREMACH entirely (not GM).

Q2. Is the manual transmission available with any USA model?
A2. Manual transmission can be ordered as an option.

Q3. Is the auto trans the GM 4 speed, or will you fit the more advanced 5 or 6 speed auto?
A3. GM provides an ICE 6.0 gas engine and heavy-duty performance transmission (a 4-speed) used in the gas T-REX. This transmission is also used in the series hybrid and BEV (100% electric) models.

Q4. Are all three wheelbases available?
A4. Yes, we offer three different wheelbases

Q5. Are vehicles only available by custom order?
A5. (not directly answered, but it sounds like each vehicle is a custom order.)

Q6. If I ordered tomorrow, how long will it take to take delivery?
A6. As of today, we are quoting units orders as deliverable in some 90-120 days, depending on the configuration requested.

Q7. What warranty will you offer on the vehicle?
A7. The warranty is the standard 3 yrs / 30,000 miles.

Q8. Where can I take the T-Rex for service, and not void the warranty?
A8. Any GM dealer or authorized shop can service the ICE T-REX.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for going to the effort on our behalf, Chip. Lots of merit to this truck if it turns out as good as it seems at first glance.

BREMACHUSA

Yes thank you for the kind words and thoughts on our truck line. Much appreciated. We look forward to being of service to this, your user-group and specific application.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
It is always great to have factory folks involved in a community.
We may never be the largest customer base but we can be the most visible and fun :)

Welcome to Expo!

Now when will the gas/electric hybrid be available?
I really think that will be the best base for an overland rig...sure there might be spare parts issues in really remote areas, but when you look at how the web & global shipping have changed the world that might be less of an issue in the future.

ATEurope

Observer
FWIW. Bremach customers in Europe have the choice of three diesel (Iveco) engines. Probably the usual ************** US regulations on diesel emmissions that rule out the factory diesel imports.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's unrealistic to expect BremachUSA to spend the money to certify the Iveco diesel engines with the EPA. The 6.0L Chevy gas engine is already certified, and probably a lot cheaper for BremachUSA to purchase than the Iveco diesel is. The Chevy engine and transmission have the additional advantage of being serviceable at 10s of thousands of locations across USA and Canada.

It's possible that Chrysler will import Iveco trucks in the future. (Iveco is part of the Fiat conglomerate.) Fiat and Chrysler have the resources to certify the engines. If that happens, then BremachUSA will have another option for engine and transmission.

gabepari

Explorer
Looky what was across the street the other day :elkgrin:

Bremach_002_small.jpg

Bremach_004_small.jpg

Bremach_005_small.jpg

Bremach_007_small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior