mods you wouldnt do again ...

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Installing roof lights directly above the windshield.

Automatic locking differentials, lunchbox or otherwise.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have always regretted every modification I have ever done to a motor, so I only use oem parts and leave it stock now. More power adds more heat, which requires cooling system changes, which leads to fitment issues, more fabrication, different fans, etc.

I just trust the OEM engineers now :)

Oh, and the Teflon wheels look **************, but are totally impractical for a trail rig (if you want them to continue to look **************).

flywgn

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
...Oh, and the Teflon wheels look **************, but are totally impractical for a trail rig (if you want them to continue to look **************).

"**************"!!! How old are you Brady? The next thing you'll find a really boss expedition vehicle to drive. :jump:

I don't do much in the way of mods any longer. Just shocks and maybe an extra skid plate.

Well, maybe I do try one mod. I try to think more these days.

Allen R

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
expeditionswest said:
I have always regretted every modification I have ever done to a motor, so I only use oem parts and leave it stock now. More power adds more heat, which requires cooling system changes, which leads to fitment issues, more fabrication, different fans, etc.
My philosophy is that I bought a Toyota because I wanted the reliability of a Toyota. But not everything is golden, I mean look at the whole 3VZ-FE head gasket problem. That was a series of bad design decisions. The sludging problem in 5S-FE and 1MZ-FE engines is another issue that comes to mind. Anyway, my point is that even Toyota isn't perfect. I think with respect to engines, the philosophy is first and foremost how to design them so that manufacture is easy. Second is how to make them efficient and reliable within the context of successful manufacture. The last thing they care about is eeking out HP or minimizing noise, etc. They are willing leave HP on the table if the return on investment isn't there. So I think engine work can be done to maximize what they are giving you. At least that's my theory with the head work I've done for my rebuild. Spending the time to port and polish, increase bowl and valve sizes and change the cam to a better profile for my requirements should open things up without going nuts. But I think the idea of increasing power in an engine that is good for 300K miles at 115HP to maybe 250K miles at 140HP is a good trade off. If you have a 1GR-FE with 245HP and messing with it reduces it's reliability from 200K to 175K, that is probably not a good idea.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The only complaint on my FJ80 is really the choice of 33x12.50's. I've always run narrower tires (9.50-10.50's). Its just too wide of a tire for my uses and contributes to my bad mileage. I'm looking to mount up a set of 33x10.50 BFG MT KM's on my factory aluminum wheels and possibly offload the steel wheels and 12.50's.

shawkins

Adventurer
No really expedition oriented, but I havent had good luck with the stick-on Vent Visor window wind deflectors on the '91 4Runner. They like to fall off, and never really sealed around the mirror.

My dad has the In-channel type on his Super Duty and they are much better. But they dont make the In-channel version for the rear doors or '91 4Runners, only the front doors.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I guess I have a couple more, one is mine, one I inherited.

Bosch ICON wipers -- In fairness perhaps I was expecting too much from them.

I inherited 285/75-16 tires and Rancho 9000x shocks, both of which are a poor match for the Trooper.

chet

island Explorer
buying a calmini lift kit for the sidekick. the thing rode like a rock and handled like crap! For the money I spent I could have been 3/4 way to a solid axle conversion.

It's threads like this that keep me out of trouble...learn from other's mistakes.

I regret the K&N drop-in filter and the throttle body spacer...both complete garbage, for which I gave 150$ of my hard-earned money while still on a college budget, paying my own way for rent, tuition AND the truck! Rather than get my money back, I'd prefer to kick those guys square in the nuts for ripping me off.

I also regret not thinking ahead during my initial SAW coilover install. Like OffroadNomad, they froze...had to come off with a chop saw. The rebuild included a lot of grease and some RTV...nary a problem since.

Rather than use 3M goo, caulk and spray paint to cover sheetmetal body modifications, I should have gone straight to the Herculiner. The first way leaks, the second way is bombproof.

The last major item isn't really a regret, since I'm always on the fence over it. The ARB bumper is a nice addition, but huge and heavy. It serves a few good purposes, and I think I can work with it. I do regret cutting it rather than selling it, but a guy works with what he has.

The really big one? Get a new or at least more or less virgin truck. I've found a bit of booty fab here and there over the years, from service during the previous owner.

The remainder consists entirely of regrets from not doing certain things sooner :D. I've found that keeping the attitude of "do it once, do it right" keeps me working with the resources I have until time and money permit doing it the right way from the start, and not trying to step or bandage my way through intermediate modifications that ultimately become take-offs or regrets.

-Sean

Last edited:

vengeful

Explorer
Jim Wolf Tech Pop-Charger (and subsequently K&N Drop-In Air Filter) - Ended up costing me over $3,500 in purchase price, repairs and wasted gas. The oil from the filter got sucked through, killed my MAF, clogged up my Throttle Body, destroyed my TPS, annhililated my IACV, gummed up my valves, and wrecked my O2 sensors...Oiled Filters + off-road dust = BAD.

MileMarker Manual Locking Hubs - Bought a set, they blew up. Replaced them. They blew up. Replaced them again; this time they blew up catastrophically (as in a bazillion pieces). Replaced with Warns, no problems since.

NOT upgrading my factory tow-hooks...

Oh...and buying a Unibody.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
goodtimes said:
Goodyear MT/R's
Ditto on the MT/R's. (I'm back on BFG MT/KM's.)

Colorado Ron said:
Remote for Rancho 9000s. Took forever to track all the leaks.
Ditto on the Rancho remote too. I never did track down all the leaks, and eventually got sick of pushing that compressor button several times a day.

A couple other regrets:
  • Almost every factory option I added when buying the truck: bull bar (which did more damage than it prevented), running boards.... Expensive, short-lived, useless mods.
  • My ridiculous idea to sleep inside the truck in a HAMMOCK, which I wove myself. Hundreds of hours wasted on a project that lasted half a freezing night, nixed not by the cold, but by claustrophobia sleeping with my face inches from the roof.

Green Ganesha said:
[*]My ridiculous idea to sleep inside the truck in a HAMMOCK, which I wove myself. Hundreds of hours wasted on a project that lasted half a freezing night, nixed not by the cold, but by claustrophobia sleeping with my face inches from the roof.
Glad I saw that...I'd always wanted to string a hammock between corners in the bed :p. Maybe there's a better way, if the bed is open...ie no cap?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I would say that in general particularly when buying items from the off road industry, many many companies do not think about long term daily driving related issues when designing. In the industry, "adjustability" is something you pay a premium for, and threads and items like that often fail.. Also, most of these companies are in Calif. or the Southwest and don't experience the harshness of real rust in different climates (ie Vermont - a 15 year old car is VERY VERY old and most of them are really really rusty)...

Also many of them are not designed for real long term wear as well. They work well for a year or two then wear out...

This goes for some poly bushing setups, the Sway Aways, and a number of issues you guys are reporting I can attribute to this... FYI...

Also, what else.. I would say Scott's comments about aftermarket performance items on engines... I generally research very heavily when possibly making mods like this as well, it has to be very high quality... This is big issue for me with a fairly custom rig.. I plan "as much OEM" as possible including, for the most part, suspension design as well... In my case, almost everything is "OEM" but from something different that I can find locally at a part store... Then I have a book with a list of what the part numbers / applications are...

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
devinsixtyseven said:
Glad I saw that...I'd always wanted to string a hammock between corners in the bed :p. Maybe there's a better way, if the bed is open...ie no cap?
I'm sure other trucks may be much better-suited to hammock-hanging than mine (a Land Rover D-90). My "hammock" was designed to lie relatively hang flat. The rigid cross-bars were on either side, rather than the top and bottom. These attached to my roll cage. Between the cross-bars I wove a flat platform of rope. On top of this I laid an inflatable air mattress. (Now you can see why my face ended up so claustrophobically close to the roof.)

Trevor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles