mods you wouldnt do again ...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If a company which has been doing this many decades filled with engineers who do this for a living could get some easy HP gains "for free" don't you think they'd do it? There is some cost incurred here and are you comfortable paying that cost when you don't even know what it is? I'm not.
The line of reasoning is repeated constantly that says "The OEM would have done it this way because they have decades of engineering." And it's true, they do have a lot of experience and knowledge. But keep in mind that they are constrained by assumptions for use and many decisions are driven by program management, accountants and marketing. So the stock truck isn't necessarily the best possible truck, it's the set of compromises that best fit their business goals. It's also almost certainly not tailored for your exact use, either. So there are always ways to make it better suited.

To your point, part of the cost is the cost. Manufacturers have to weigh MPG vs HP vs dollars. If they use a better (or more expensive let's say) filter its got to return more in profit on each individual vehicle. As you've rightly mentioned 260 HP is sufficient and they would't sell anymore Tacomas and 4Runners at 265 HP if the cost was $10 more for a K&N, so there's no argument to supply one from the factory. That is even before any analysis to find reliability, filtering efficiency, replacement interval, engine wear, etc.

My thinking is Toyota (or whomever) isn't infallible but there has to be a reason for changing. I've second guessed Toyota and been burnt. I've also second guessed them and that something didn't fail I was probably correct.

trasko

Adventurer
The line of reasoning is repeated constantly that says "The OEM would have done it this way because they have decades of engineering." And it's true, they do have a lot of experience and knowledge. But keep in mind that they are constrained by assumptions for use and many decisions are driven by program management, accountants and marketing. So the stock truck isn't necessarily the best possible truck, it's the set of compromises that best fit their business goals. It's also almost certainly not tailored for your exact use, either. So there are always ways to make it better suited.

To your point, part of the cost is the cost. Manufacturers have to weigh MPG vs HP vs dollars. If they use a better (or more expensive let's say) filter its got to return more in profit on each individual vehicle. As you've rightly mentioned 260 HP is sufficient and they would't sell anymore Tacomas and 4Runners at 265 HP if the cost was $10 more for a K&N, so there's no argument to supply one from the factory. That is even before any analysis to find reliability, filtering efficiency, replacement interval, engine wear, etc.

My thinking is Toyota (or whomever) isn't infallible but there has to be a reason for changing. I've second guessed Toyota and been burnt. I've also second guessed them and that something didn't fail I was probably correct.

You make a good point. Especially for folks who are pushing the envelope of what the vehicle is designed to do. For me? I'm not doing the crazy adventures you see so many others doing. I get off-road occasionally and camp and explore but nothing extreme. Most all of my thought is in terms of redundancy, reliability, self-sufficiency and self-extraction.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
larger than stock tires....

I picked up a 1989 Toyota Pickup with the 3vze and auto supposedly the slowest things around. It sits on stock size General Grabber At2s and just pulled 21mpg on the highway while carying 300lbs of elk and towing a 500lb trailer.....

Could actually accelerate up hill and I never bottomed out with just a tiny bit of care with tire placement. My 86 4runner with just 31's was a dog in comparison. A good all terrain and 9-10" of clearance is plenty to go virtually everywhere unless you're wheeling.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I like larger (mud) tires than stock (but then I change the gear ratios to match/maintain drivability & mileage)....

Enjoy!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Solid Axle Swap

Sure it's a beast offroad, but with all the custom fab and heim joints, it's not a great road vehicle anymore. Before it was a good road vehicle and decent offroad rig. Now it's not my choice to take on long drives, but it'll drive drive up and over just about anything when it gets there- it's just the "getting it there" part.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
larger than stock tires....

I picked up a 1989 Toyota Pickup with the 3vze and auto supposedly the slowest things around. It sits on stock size General Grabber At2s and just pulled 21mpg on the highway while carying 300lbs of elk and towing a 500lb trailer.....

Could actually accelerate up hill and I never bottomed out with just a tiny bit of care with tire placement. My 86 4runner with just 31's was a dog in comparison. A good all terrain and 9-10" of clearance is plenty to go virtually everywhere unless you're wheeling.

That truck could not get out of it's own way when it had larger tires on it. Can't remember the size though.

Like you said all you need to do is be particular about where it's pointed.

Glad it got a good home.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94