mods you wouldnt do again ...

vengeful

Explorer
Sounds like my very poorly designed first iteration of my bed platform in the pathy. I had literally like a foot and a half between the cieling and the top of the air mattress.

I cut down the platform about 3" and bought a much thinner mattress and it made all the difference in the world - except that I have to take everything out of the truck in order to sleep in it.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
1. Jacobs Ignition on Roseann's 92 Toyota 22RE. Absolutely no gains in anything except more pinging.

2. K&N filter for the same truck. Poor sealing allowed unfiltered air though. You could see the dust tracks.

3. The rear spare tire/jerry can carrier for my FJ40 that mounted to the sheet metal. Yuck. Even in Arizona it was a rust magnet. Frame mount is the only way to go.

4. Holley carburetor for my FJ40. Horrible off-road performance, even after serious tweaking and venting.

5. Actually (re number 3), any modification that required drilling through factory sheet metal.

Last edited:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
  1. $20 rock-lights from Checker. They worked great until I dove through water. At least the wiring is in place for when I get some waterproof LED rock-lights.
  2. Softopper canvas camper shell. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but doesn't look like it will hold up in the long run. I should have saved my money for a better solution.

Jonathan Hanson said:
any modification that required drilling through factory sheet metal.
I've managed to stay away from this so far, but not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold on (note: Blake -- this does not give you permission to bring your sawzall anywhere near my truck!!).

:sombrero:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Worst Mod Ever:
Twin screw supercharger from Avenger. It makes a lot of power but a serious PIA that has cost a ton of money (more than 6K to date), uses lots of fuel (10-11 mpg), makes the engine run hot under boost. Sometimes runs great, other times has a serious case of the hiccups. Zero support from Avenger. This system could work with an OPD II or III computer and be tweeked some more but not my OPD I. Changing it over is not in the cards. I wish Avenger knew enough to tell me that from the beginning. I plan to pull it out this fall and replace it with an International 2.8 TDI.

Best Mod Ever:
For sheer reliability, simplicity of design and for working as advertised, my rock shifter knob with a gecko carved into it.

SixLug

Explorer
so i ran across this thread and thought I would Bump it b/c I thought the thread was such a good idea, and one can learn a lot from others mistakes...so post 'em up!

roostercruiser

Adventurer
my wiring job for lights and other stuff it all caught fire. i didnt use relays(never knew about relays until couple of months ago and since then fire

Last edited:

ryguy

Adventurer
On my 08 taco:
Goodyear MTR's
All Pro transfer case skid(lousy fit)
Pro Comp lift
Factory roof rack
TRD drop in filter
and finally throttle body spacers are worthless

toyota_jon

Adventurer
Using bedliner for the entire inside of my 4Runner. Made the thing unbearibly loud. spent a week with a wire wheel getting it all out. SUCKED!

33x 12.5 MT/Rs now have Trxus MT's in 255 and i love them.

Cone filter, was on truck when bought it. quickly took it off. Clogged up so bad that the truck would barely run.

3" body lift. was on truck when purchased, cut it down to 2" now working on getting it all out.

I'll echo the thought of getting a virgin truck. mine will have everything that was "done" redone here in a few months, and that includes the "re-built' engine.

akfj40

Observer
K & N fipk- ate up my MAF sensor

chrome alum. wheels. -i now have black teflons and they look **************.:sombrero:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Weld on sliders.

I didn't save enough and choose the weld on sliders. Kevin (on this list) did a great job welding them on, but in teh NE it is a real pain to sand and paint them 2-3 times a year to keep them from rusting. Wish I could unbolt them for that chore!

Pro Comp 1069 wheels...look bitchen, but less backspacing means wider track and more road wander. I'm going to put the stock wheels back on and we'll see how they run with the larger (285/75/16) tires.

Ditto on my Rancho 9000 xl shocks. I don't have the remote adjustment, but they are just too darn rough for my 1/2-ton, even loaded to the gills. I miss my Monroe magnums, but may check out Bilstein 5100s. Has anybody here run both shocks for a comparison?

juicebox

Adventurer
I am happy to say, the only thing I regret getting for my truck is some cheap seat covers. They were like 30 bucks on eBay, and while they did the job, they were pale yellow instead of the "Oak" color as advertised to match the interior of my truck. I took them out after a few months and don't know where they are, nor do I care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke