Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Bronco 800 Pop-up Expedition to South America

Quote Originally Posted by Stan@FourWheel View Post
    If you are going to leave the tail gate on the truck like it is, go outside right NOW and make sure you can get your spare tire off the truck.

This might seem like a hassle at the moment, but trust me, it might be well worth the extra few mintues spent.

With the truck tail gate lowered like that you can't always get access to the spare tire release !

And if you take the camper jacks off, you will for sure be SOL (because without camper jacks you won't be able to get the camper off the truck to gain access to the spare tire release !!

You might be OK, but it would be worth checking out ahead of time.

Have a safe trip !!

Solid advice right there.
    2003 7.3 PowerStroke E-350 EB
    2006 Jeep Unlimited, AEV Highline
    1957 Land Rover Series One, 107"
    2011 Toyota 4Runner (Hers)

1980 HJ45 Diesel LBP (Sold to some dude in Utah)
    1984 Troopy, ExPo White (Sold to the same dude in Utah that bought my other dream truck)
    Kimberly Kamper (Sold to the Toyota Shaman)
    2001 7.3 F-350, 6 Speed w/FWC Camper (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan@FourWheel View Post
    Sounds like it will be a fun trip.

If you are going to leave the tail gate on the truck like it is, go outside right NOW and make sure you can get your spare tire off the truck.

This might seem like a hassle at the moment, but trust me, it might be well worth the extra few minutes spent.

With the truck tail gate lowered like that you can't always get access to the spare tire release !

And if you take the camper jacks off, you will for sure be SOL (because without camper jacks you won't be able to get the camper off the truck to gain access to the spare tire release !!

You might be OK, but it would be worth checking out ahead of time.
    Great. advice. Just checked it out and we are (barely) okay. We can lower the spare with the tailgate down. Off with the Jacks!

We do plan on leaving the tailgate on as a landing/outdoor shelf. It's come in quite handy so far & the camper does sit about 3-4 inches on the tailgate. The steel steps that came with the camper weigh a ton, so we're going to get a little step stool to use with the tailgate.

We're actually going to mount a jerrycan right on that tailgate with a cable lock running through O-bolts screwed into the camper rear wall. Thought about mounting a custom rear bumper to get the job done but this is free! I will put up some pictures once this is completed.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

Quote Originally Posted by BIGdaddy View Post
    removing tailgate? or leaving as a landing?

if you're removing it, I'd have you consider a swing out tire carrier like tacodoc has on his rig. That would provide good protection for your camper as well as a good way to mount fuel, oil, tire, jack, etc...

I'd add that I would want you to figure out a way to LOCK it open, so that bandits can't lock you in at night.

(note that they could probably do this with your tailgate, too. )
    Thanks for the advice. The Palominos have installed a break-away front canvas as an "exit." So we should be able to escape the camper with ease.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

Default Air Dam Install

Installed an air dam in the rain today. Like most truck camper and Tundra combinations there was a substantial gap between the cab and cabover. The idea and install was straight-forward: 2 4x4 white vinyl posts at 90 degrees, 4 screws and washers on each post, and a healthy dose of construction adhesive. I had to drill holes on both sides of the post to access the screws with a screw driver.

While it's mainly for noise and handling, I'm hoping to get back about 1-2 MPG with this install.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

wow, awesome combo. thanks for posting, I will keep an eye on this thread.
    What kind of MPG's are you getting with this setup?

good advice here, taking notes !!
    Toyota Nut:
    Latest -> Supratrucks.com 03 S-Runner Built 2JZGTE Big Single Supra swap

Default Mpg

Thanks! With just a truck cap I was getting 19 mpg highway. The Bronco lowered that to 13 on the only trip I've taken. I'll have some better numbers down the road.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

Default Jerrycan Mounting

Today I installed a Jerrycan mount. After doing much research, I determined that all of the existing Jerrycan mounts on the market are much to expensive for my taste. I dreamed this up which cost less than $20 at Home Depot and took less than an hour to install.

I want to do something similar to create a secure lock for when we're not near the camper. The gap I need to cover is about 4" across as you can see in the photo, in order to get a good drilling location. Any idea?

Here are the pictures:

I used 4 3/8" eye bolts (each with 2 washers, 1 lock washer, and 2 nuts). I also used some left over RV sealant to seal the holes. The rest is self explanatory. I can go into more detail if anybody would like.
    Last edited by rockandroll; 12-17-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

Maybe I can't see it but do you have that can strapped down so it doesn't vibrate around on rough roads and wear holes in stuff. It just looks like it would be able to wiggle around alot. Is the lid on the can locked too? If not it would still be fairly easy to steal your gas.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
    Maybe I can't see it but do you have that can strapped down so it doesn't vibrate around on rough roads and wear holes in stuff. It just looks like it would be able to wiggle around alot. Is the lid on the can locked too? If not it would still be fairly easy to steal your gas.
    Thanks for the advice. It is not strapped down and does have a bit of wiggle room (less than in the photos after I messed around with the cable) but still a bit. I plan to buy a few rubber strips and place those on the tailgate and camper wall to prevent wear and the wiggle. That's what I was thinking anyway, have any suggestions?
    Last edited by rockandroll; 12-18-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Logan and Brianna,
    PanAmNotes.com

You could ratchet strap it but I would put something (a barrier) like polyurethane or rubber even wood between the can and the body of the camper.
    Whatever you do make sure you cant move the can, any movement will be really not good.

ken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast