"Heel & Toe" wear pattern on Michelin XZLs

Bandicoot

Adventurer
I've noticed some "heel & toe" wear developing on my XZLs 255/100R16 (20 000 km). Rotated them at 10 000 km which included steering alignment & balance.
Causes/practical suggestions/comments? I've googled the causes and opinions seem to vary.
Rick

Amesz00

Adventurer
Rick,
All of the XZLs do it, always on the steers. Lug tyres never like being put on the steer axle, and this heel/toe wear is how they protest, all the XZLs ive ever seen do it, the huge ones on my old bloke's MAN do it too.
Aside form rotating them fairly regularly, and keeping correct pressures in check, there isnt alot you can do. if you want the un-beatable capability of these tyres offroad, thats unfortunatly what we must put up with, other than that, go to 19.5" rims with no sidewall give, bulldozer ride, no ability to drop pressures for greater footprint, no traction offroad (can you tell im a little biased...).

Andrew

westyss

Explorer
how easy is it to get these XZL's? I tried for a year to buy some from the US, and Canada and could not find them, yet you Aussies all have them, what gives, I had to go with a completely different set up, but I am surprised about that wear comment, how much mileage are they good for? And what is the ride like when they are worn?

Bandicoot

Adventurer
I'd have to say I think the 255/100R16 XZL's are brilliant tyres. They are so versatile and just "awesome" off road, and pretty good on road as well! I've had them down to as low as 14 psi (hot, probably 10 or 11 psi cold equiv) to get out of bogs and no problems. If I can get 40 000 km out of 4 (equivalent to 50 000 out of 5), I will be most happy and consider them value for money.
Rick

Amesz00

Adventurer
I'd have to say I think the 255/100R16 XZL's are brilliant tyres. They are so versatile and just "awesome" off road, and pretty good on road as well! I've had them down to as low as 14 psi (hot, probably 10 or 11 psi cold equiv) to get out of bogs and no problems. If I can get 40 000 km out of 4 (equivalent to 50 000 out of 5), I will be most happy and consider them value for money.
Rick

Exactly the way i see it mate. Ive done bout 28,000 on my 11.00R16 XL (the older style directional tyres- pretty much a tractor tyre for army trucks...) and they're looking a bit worn, but should see 35k on them. yes, they're rude, loud, rough, heavy, etc on the road, but on the dirt, i dont think theres anything that could be put on these trucks (realisticaly) that would perform better. that said on my next set ill be looking for some 1100R16 XZLs, i think the XLs aggressive-ness is overkill for WA.

Westyss, your best bet would be to try for Canadian/US (more likely canadian) military surplus, i hear of quite a few guys over there getting 9.00s and 11.00s for their rams/f250/duramax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles