OshKosh Vehicles Racing Baja 1000

4x4abc

Adventurer
I shot the beast "flying by", jumped in my truck (G500) passed it and shot the M2 in a second location 3 miles down the track (I had enough time to get my video camera on a tripod)

Nice guys - they blew their horn each time when driving by
they came in dead last (behind a stock Suzuki) and the race was long over - but hey, they made it to La Paz

I followed them from the last photo location to the finish line (10 miles) to take some last shots

reminds me of my very first sailing regatta - I was still on the water when everybody else had already gone home
just don't give up and be better next time

Attachments

• DSC_0020s.jpg
    DSC_0020s.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0031s.jpg
    DSC_0031s.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0032s.jpg
    DSC_0032s.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0042s.jpg
    DSC_0042s.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Bhos

Adventurer
That one has been stripped down quite a bit. They are massive and pretty cool. One version had 4 independent diesel electrics...one for each wheel and full capable of pulling/pushing the vehicle with the other 3 out of commission.

Chase2

Thanks for the kind words regarding going the distance and never giving up. That's me in the co-dawg seat (with the orange stripe on my visor). And I was the guy on the horn jajajajaja! It was great to see you guys cheering us on after everyone else had gone home!

Although I was supposed to ride in M1 from Puertocetos to Santa Ignacio, but a mechanical issue cause us to drop at RM 130 (?). We had the parts it just would have taken almost 6 hours to fix. When the co-driver for M2 wasn't feeling up to finishing the event, I was asked to get in the vehicle in Insergentes and go to La Paz.

I have to say that the Oshkosh effort was something I'm very proud to have been part of. The LCV is a test and development vehicle with the diesel-electric drive train and suspension being the major components being developed. Yes, the vid did show a lot of body roll, but that vid was taken right as we started tuning the shocks and at least 90% of it was taken care of.

Each vehicle carried single wench on a receiver hitch that could be moved/attached front or back. We never had to use it as we never came close to getting stuck.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Chase2, and congratulations on your race efforts.

Tell us more about what it's like to drive an electric powered vehicle off-road. The diesel motor only drives a generator, correct? Did the trucks carry a large enough battery to be driven a couple of miles without the help of the generator?

Can you point us to more photos or video of the racing LCV elsewhere online?

Chase2

Thanks!

I was only a co-driver/navigator and only a select few professional drivers were allowed to sit behind the wheel. I don't work for Oshkosh, I was with California Gold Racing who helped Oshkosh setup, test, provide race logistics, and get to the finish line. I can tell you that due to the weight, tire size, and suspension it was a very kush ride. The computer system attached to the electric motors told the diesel motor what they needed and it responded accordingly. No batteries except to start the diesel. It was a little different with the throttle not directly linked to the diesel engine. There were a lot of components that Oshkosh doesn't want discussed as they have spent a great deal of brain power and time developing them.

This project allowed me to spend quality time in the desert with some of the smartest guys I've ever met and some of the hardest working technicians and mechanics I've ever come across. The greatest thing about this is that hopefully what they found from all of our testing and race efforts will eventually work its way to our troops.

Official Oshkosh photos

Last edited:

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
The OshKosh guys were cool, I was able to meet a few of them and talk about the vehicle with them at some of the road crossings during the race and during tech in Ensenada. Those trucks really are huge, we brought a H1 Alpha which by most standards is a huge vehicle in Baja. The support that OshKosh had out there was cool too, I think it was up to around 130 people for both rigs, plus two back up recovery rigs out there being carried around on semi's.

-Alex

Ron B

Explorer
...I can tell you that due to the weight, tire size, and suspension it was a very kush ride...

I am good friends with Mike Sabaresse and he said the same thing -- he mentioned that riding in it was like sitting on his sofa at home playing a video game. Wish I could have seen it, looks great in the pics. Good job finishing!

rb

Chase2

I am good friends with Mike Sabaresse
Meeting and getting to work with Mike was one of the cool things about being on the team. Many of us working with California Gold Racing are more used to driving/co-driving Class 1 cars and Trophy Trucks. Mike's insight on what it takes to get such a large vehicle to cross the finish line was awesome. I personally have never worked so hard to go so slow in my entire life!

oxi

Adventurer
I actually work for Oshkosh Defense. I run the T/case and Engine line and got to watch them build it up from scratch and see them off on the lowboy.

Great project to highlight the hydraulic suspension, no springs and Pro-Pulse type propulsion.

Our latest project is the TAK-4 on the HUMVEE as the military seeks to rebuild the older units and fit them with the same suspension as the M-ATV, MTVR and LVSR.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like the Oshkosh M-ATV is the Army's choice for a rugged, protective utility vehicle for use in Afghanistan.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785345/this-is-the-us-armys-tough-new-high+tech-ambulance

oshkosh-matv-2.jpg

Oshkosh-matv-1.jpg

oxi

Adventurer
The Jeep guys do not like the fact that the majority of new military vehicles are independent suspended...

The days of solid axles are going by the way side...

haven

Expedition Leader
I noted that the winner of the 2011 King of the Hammers race drove a buggy with independent front suspension. KOH is unusual in that the race includes gnarly rock crawling as well as high speed running in the open desert. The first place truck beat everybody by 30 minutes.

I suspect we'll see more independent front suspensions in future KOH competitions.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I noted that the winner of the 2011 King of the Hammers race drove a buggy with independent front suspension. KOH is unusual in that the race includes gnarly rock crawling as well as high speed running in the open desert. The first place truck beat everybody by 30 minutes.

I suspect we'll see more independent front suspensions in future KOH competitions.

Yes and no. Shannon Campbell can be successful in almost anything he drives, the IFS allows him to mash through the rocks and drive faster then most in the desert, and sustain speeds through deep washes.

In the rocks his suspension compresses and moves backwards when he hits something, whereas a normal link suspension will have to move forwards while it compresses. This allows him to move faster and his stuff harder then he would with a solid axle suspension.

-Alex

skysix

Adventurer
Typo's

Each vehicle carried single wench ... that could be moved/attached front or back. We never had to use it...

Freudian slip? Funny regardless. Sounds like a good option to have in any case (if you're not married!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior