The Bradshaw Trail. The Man-cation

TheTurd

Pictures are located here

I guess I will finally get around to writing about this trip as it has been living in my mind and messing with my boyfriend duties for quite some time now. I don't feel like working. I don't feel like paying rent. I want to go ever further in debt to online Jeep catalogs and camping sites, and travel the desert in search of...well, more desert.

The Girlfriend went to Hawaii for a wedding. I did not. It is the start of desert season. I'm no dummy. It's man-cation time, so the plan was to leave San Diego early on Friday morning, Oct 22nd and drive the Bradshaw Trail and then hit up Joshua Tree on Saturday. The weather had been iffy at best that week but everyone here knows that weather never really makes it down the hill to the desert. Myself, my best bud and a mutual drinking acquaintance aka "3 peeps, 2 Jeeps" left San Diego around 9:30 am. I had to wait for BevMo to open at 9 for a certain firewater I was dying to try. :drool: 8 East up in to the mountains. Cold rain, cold clouds, good tunes- We headed north on the 79 to Julian and then followed the 78 East to the 86 North and in to the Salton Sea. Man, what a place that is... grabbed lunch at Del Taco and headed to the trail. I'm flying blind at this point. I had my route plotted out on the GPS and I had been studying Google maps and Google Earth for a month so I "knew" where I was going. Wrong. I tried to jump on the canal 5 miles up from where I had planned and the gate was locked. 4WD- Engage. Made it around and just hoped to not get caught on the road. Still not too happy about that. Anyway, we made it to the start of the Bradshaw Trail around 1, had a look around and headed on. What a beautiful place. We stopped at the train bridge and had a photo shoot. We took the side route in to Red Canyon and explored a bit before turning around. We rode the bombs and hung out at the shot up car. Then as we were losing light and trying to make it to Wiley's Well we found...the boat. Does anyone know the back story on this boat? If you do, please let me know. Spent the night at Wiley's Well and recharged our batteries. Woke up to a great sunrise and hit the road early. Aired up by the prison and headed in to Blythe to gas up before backtracking west down the 10 to Joshua Tree Park. Got off on Cottonwood Canyon and headed up to the rangers station. We decided we would do our wheeling first and head to camp (at Black Rock) at dark. Turned off at Old Dale Rd and aired down. Headed up to Brooklyn Mine Jeep trail and from here...I'm not really sure where the heck we went. I believe we stopped at Standard Mine and eventually found the Brooklyn Mine and even found All American on the way out later that night, but I am new to this and only know what I have seen on these forums so if I wrote in your book at your mine...hey! Long drive up and out of the park on a sweet dirt road. Made camp by around 9pm. Ate, drank, slept, snored. Woke and left. Wishing I could do it again. If you have any feedback on the pics, or have questions, let me know. I'm new round these here parts...

Last edited:

TheTurd

Here's some of the better pics from the trip

Man-cation%20%283%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%2811%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28207%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%2832%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%2838%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%2885%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%2897%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28102%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28127%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28140%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28151%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28162%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28164%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28170%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28177%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28181%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28193%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28189%29.jpg

Man-cation%20%28204%29.jpg

Last edited:

Michael

Adventurer
Thanks for the photos! Looks like a great trip through some favorite areas. If you get a chance, take the rest of Red Canyon trail up to the I-10. It ends near Chiriaco Summit where the George S. Patton museum is located. Very interesting stop.

TheTurd

The Pendleton is really yummy. Almost a maple flavor on the back side that builds on itself after a few sips. My dad grew up in Pendleton, OR and I have memories as a child (as well as incriminating 'kid dressed as a cowboy' pics) of going to the round up and happy canyon. Let R' Buck.

I do regret having such an ambitious trip where we were constantly on the move and really really want to get back to the area, especially knowing now that I can drag my camp around with no problems while I explore. Run out of daylight and call it a night, wherever I please.

taugust

Adventurer
I don't know the back story, but I have seen the 'boat.' I think it is really a mold for a fiberglass boat hull, based on the external structure. Just my opinion.

stolenheron

Explorer
looks like a nice trip. cool pics.

i've seen more abandoned boat hulls back in the woods in southwest florida than you can shake a stick at.

Thanks for the writeup and photos. Did you find out more about the boat?

The boat was supposed to be transported to Leonard Knights Salvation Mountain in Niland at the South end of the Salton Sea. Google Salvation Mountain if you don't know what it is. He was going to use it as a Noahs Ark display. Some jerk running the trail (from this forum) however decided to swipe the wheels off the structure and they can no longer afford to move it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94