new Jeep model, the Overland Thing gone too far

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ok I think the Overland term is reaching market overload....
check out the newest "Overland" rig from jeep
http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-d...okee-overland-summit-liberty-jet-at-l-a-show/

2011-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Overland-Summit.jpg

x32792

Adventurer
Soccer Moms (and Posers) Rule

Style over substance...More appearance package than utility...This is not a Jeep.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
No more over done than 75% ++ of the "overland" or "expedition" branded crap on this site already.

At least Jeep has been using the Overland name since ~2002 - before it was trendy in North America.

What does "ovreland" mean? Has nothing to do with the vehicle choice.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Are you saying you would not want to overland in that cockpit? I can't think of a nicer place to be while on the road less traveled.

Attachments

• 2011-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Overland-Summit-interior.jpg
    2011-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Overland-Summit-interior.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 66

mcneil

Observer
Typo in the Marketing department.. they tend to abbreviate long words for print.

I fixed it for 'em

Jeep Debuts Upscale Grand Cherokee Overgradedpavedlandwithfrequentfuelstops Summit, Liberty Jet at L.A Show

Are you saying you would not want to overland in that cockpit? I can't think of a nicer place to be while on the road less traveled.

That is right. I do not want to overland in this thing. And please stop calling it a cockpit and trying to force the perception of vehicle operation to resemble that of aircraft operation. NO THANKS. Maybe you should become a pilot instead and leave overlanding to those who understand it. Sorry, I got a little hot here. I hate these vehicles. Plasticky, very little utility, and the thing has a shorter cargo area than my CRV. All the electronic doodads on there. Some people just don't get it, the spirit of overlanding in simple vehicles. What are you going to do, pull a maintenance trailer behind you?

BEVAN

Adventurer
All the electronic doodads on there. Some people just don't get it, the spirit of overlanding in simple vehicles. What are you going to do, pull a maintenance trailer behind you?

Yes !!! if this quote had a page on Facebook... I would click "like" !!!

I agree with this almost to the core...Why I prefer manual EVERYTHING.

~But I also like the doodads and pretty stuff...very comfortable for a ROAD TRIP vehicle...But for off pavement travel, I want simplicity because to me it equals reliability.

purdueXJ

Observer
Jeep has to have something to compete with land rover, and I think they did a good job. If land rover can still market their vehicles as offroad vehicles why can't jeep? This thing still has more offroad capabilities than the majority of buyers will use.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I'd put a stock Grand with quadradrive against any of the other stock rigs except a Rubicon. Most never hit the trail with one but as soon as you do you can tell they are all Jeep.

Outdoorsben

Observer
That is right. I do not want to overland in this thing. And please stop calling it a cockpit and trying to force the perception of vehicle operation to resemble that of aircraft operation. NO THANKS. Maybe you should become a pilot instead and leave overlanding to those who understand it. Sorry, I got a little hot here. I hate these vehicles. Plasticky, very little utility, and the thing has a shorter cargo area than my CRV. All the electronic doodads on there. Some people just don't get it, the spirit of overlanding in simple vehicles. What are you going to do, pull a maintenance trailer behind you?

Here is the definition of cockpit......just sayin

cock·pit   
[kok-pit] Show IPA
–noun
a space, usually enclosed, in the forward fuselage of an airplane containing the flying controls, instrument panel, and seats for the pilot and copilot or flight crew.
a sunken, open area, generally in the after part of a small vessel, as a yacht, providing space for the pilot, part or all of the crew, or guests.
the space, including the seat and instrumentation, surrounding the driver of an automobile.
a pit or enclosed place for cockfights.
a place where a contest is fought or which has been the scene of many contests or battles.
(formerly) a space below the water line in a warship, occupied by the quarters of the junior officers and used as a dressing station for those wounded in action.

stjjames

Observer
A: 99% of the folks who buy these will never see more than a dirt road (which is all that most 'Overlanders' do anyhow)
B: It looks like it's about as ready for off-road as any other off-the-lot 4X4.
C: Looks super nice !

As for stock, to stock-ish new Jeeps . . .
No Lockers, just mild lifts & stock 4x4 system.
Whereas I wouldn't consider one either (hell, I wanna swap my rig over to TBI), they do certainly have their merits to some. And make a great deal of sense considering their target buyer.

I'd put a stock Grand with quadradrive against any of the other stock rigs except a Rubicon. Most never hit the trail with one but as soon as you do you can tell they are all Jeep.

DetroitLockerRun9_2007-059.jpg

DetroitLockerRun9_2007-061.jpg

DetroitLockerRun9_2007-063.jpg

DetroitLockerRun9_2007-075.jpg

DetroitLockerRun9_2007-078.jpg

detroitrun37.jpg

detroitrun38.jpg

detroitrun48.jpg

detroitrun53.jpg

detroitrun54.jpg

detroitrun55.jpg

detroitrun56.jpg