Best Value for $5000

4WD School

Adventurer
Look at a Chevrolet M1008 or M1028.

Military 5/4 ton pickup with a Diesel engine, automatic transmission, one ton axles, with an 8 foot bed. A real value and commonly sold for under 5 grand.

bronconite

Observer
Fullsize Bronco
-based on the best selling model series ever= great used and aftermarket parts availability
-33" tires with no lift
-with your budget in mind you could buy a very nice one
-good online tech support
-removable half top with availability of aftermarket soft top

I'd also consider a Fullsize Blazer or Ramcharger

Van_Homan

Adventurer
My 1st gen Trooper has been very reliable, and they're cheap to purchase and repair (compared to a Disco). There's limited aftermarket support. The biggest downside would be overall comfort.

you can fit 31s on almost anything with no lift, im running 33/12.50s on my tahoe with just a small bumper trim, id say for overall reliability go with a k5, and you can get a removable top one

speedtre

Explorer
You want a 2nd Generation Mitsubishi Montero.

This easy....

You want a 96-97 Gen II Mitsubishi Montero SR or a 98-99 Mont Gen II.5 with the Winter Package. Why?

1. Inexpensive. You should be able to find one in decent shape for $2-3K dollars or you could find a pristine one for $4-5K.

2. Both of the models above come with center diff. lock and a rear locker.

3. Very reliable (Including a bulletproof transmission). They have a few known problems that can be fixed easily for the most part.

4. Inexpensive to repair if they do need fixing.

5. Will fit up to 33s with no lift required.

6. A full ARB OME suspension package from sierraexpeditions.com is only about $850.

7. They come with 7 seats (if that's important, if not, take them out and you have more room.)

8. Safety....dual front airbags and ABS.

9. Creature comforts. Leather interior, big sunroof (my kids LOVE it), heated front seats.

Seriously, the ONLY downside I've found so far is there are no ********** cup holders on my 1999. I seriously can't believe they left cup holders off a 1999 vehicle, but like I said, that is my biggest gripe. :D

Check out the Mitsubishi forums on this site to get an idea of just how far $5000 can go with a second generation Montero.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Yes, what they all said, plus to add to the mix...

Jeep Wrangler: 95- YJ requires a small lift for 31" tires but they fit on stock 97+ TJ. More fun than a Cherokee and just as reliable. Plenty of space for two people. Hard doors a plus because you can see through the windows when they're closed!

caleb

This easy....

You want a 96-97 Gen II Mitsubishi Montero SR or a 98-99 Mont Gen II.5 with the Winter Package. Why?
<snip>

Okay, talk to me...

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - an undervalued vehicle. Not the best known, not the absolute best, but really cheap for what you're getting.

I also love the idea of being able to run healthy tires without any major adjustments.

Here are my questions:

- How big of tires does a guy dare run without changing the gearing? After looking through the Mitsubishi forum I'm hearing some guys think 32" is fine, others think it's pushing it. I'd be fine with 31", but I don't want to be causing premature wear because of tire size. I also don't think I want to go with a $7-1000 gearing change on an old vehicle.

- What is/are the practical difference or differences between the four wheel drive systems in the standard Montero and the Montero Sport? I'm hearing the Sport might be less capable off road, but I'm not grasping exactly why.

- I had bad luck with the 4 cylinder version of the Mitsubishi steel/aluminum engine. Two cars actually. The heads warped. Tell me that I'm not going to run into the same thing with a Montero...

Thanks again for all your advice guys. Please keep it coming.

speedtre

Explorer
Okay, talk to me...

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - an undervalued vehicle. Not the best known, not the absolute best, but really cheap for what you're getting.

I also love the idea of being able to run healthy tires without any major adjustments.

Here are my questions:

- How big of tires does a guy dare run without changing the gearing? After looking through the Mitsubishi forum I'm hearing some guys think 32" is fine, others think it's pushing it. I'd be fine with 31", but I don't want to be causing premature wear because of tire size. I also don't think I want to go with a $7-1000 gearing change on an old vehicle.

I think the consensus is 33 with stock gearing, but if you do alot of driving in the mountains, you way want to go 31-32 or re-gear.

- What is/are the practical difference or differences between the four wheel drive systems in the standard Montero and the Montero Sport? I'm hearing the Sport might be less capable off road, but I'm not grasping exactly why.

Well, I don't think that the C/D lock or the rear locker is even available on the Sport model from Mitsubishi and the Sport could be had as a 2WD whereas ALL full-size Monteros are 4-wheel drive.

- I had bad luck with the 4 cylinder version of the Mitsubishi steel/aluminum engine. Two cars actually. The heads warped. Tell me that I'm not going to run into the same thing with a Montero...

From all the reading I've done, the 3.0 and 3.5 V6 (the years/models I gave you came with a either a DOHC 3.5 V6 or a SOHC version of the same engine) are VERY reliable. They do have a few known issues (like almost all engines) and if you sort those out you can look forward to getting 250K+ miles out of these motors.

Thanks again for all your advice guys. Please keep it coming.

Sorry for the short answers, but I'm new to Monteros myself (I just bought a '99 after doing a ton of research) and I'm short of time, trying to get out of town before TG. Try posting your questions on the Mitsubishi forum here...there are several posters that seem really knowledgeable and could answer your questions. Also, look on the Mitsubishi forums on 4x4wire.com for a TON of info on Monteros. Good Luck!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Get an older late 80's early 90's Toyota Pick-up or 4Runner... Trust me, in the long run it'll last longer and serve you better then a Cherokee. I have both and my Toyota @ 260K has fewer rattles and issues then my dad's 98 Cherokee with 45K in it. It's not just hype, old Toyota Mini-trucks are all they're cracked up to be. just my opinion, but like I've said I've owned both and aside from a solid axle the Toyota is a superior vehicle IMO. Keep in mind while the Jeep ight have a solid front axle that'll flex better, it's not exactly a very GOOD axle and I'd wager to say the early Toyota IFS is equaly as strong (they used the same system in the 100series Cruisers fwiw) and rides infinitely better while it may not crawl as well I've never been left behind by a Cherokee out on the trail, you just have to pay a little more attention to line with the IFS.

I like Cherokee's and they're a great value but IMO in a side by side compro to the Toyotas they just don't hold up as well. Plus... NO FRAME. THat's a big bummer to me. Maybe it doesn't matter to you.

Another great option is the TROOPER. Older gen'sd have the GM2.8 V6 that should be avoided like the PLAUGE (possibly the WORST motor ever made) but they're really underrated trucks with alot of cargo room and alot of capabiulity. The older Gen's have HUGE wheel wells that can easily fit 33's with very little lift. The aftermarket is a little weak but there are alot of guy's out there with homegrown solutions to that.

Course you CANNOT go wrong with a 60series Cruiser either, they're Landcruisers and they're amazing trucks. Just watch for rust (that goes for all Toyotas really and could be seen as their one weakness)

Cheers

Dave

mires

Adventurer
I have been racking my brain over this very subject in the last few weeks and have finally come to a decision. The 98-2002 Trooper. It has everything I want and nothing I don't. They have also proven to be super reliable and very capable off road. This will be my next vehicle purchase.

bftank

Explorer
i went through the same process. trying to find a cheap 4wd to do the same things you are trying to do.

after researching craigslist and many forums i settled on the 1991-1994 ford explorer. my reasons behind it were:

1 has a frame
2 ford 8.8 31 spline axle that cherokees use to upgrade their rear axle with.
3 available and somewhat common standard stransmission on the 4 door.
4 can fit 31's with no lift or trimming
5 cheap many under $2000 with less than 130,000 miles.
6 shares the same drivetrain as the ford ranger and bronco 2, lots of aftermarket support.
7 has a forum devoted to it with lots of info. explorer forum

after insuring our newly acquired '94 i found another benefit. it had a higher safety rating than our 2001 chrysler minivan.

we purchased an arizona based 1994 ford explorer in mint condition no rust, auto, with bad auto hubs and 98,000 miles for $1700 dollars.

if you did something like this you could spend the rest of the 5k on lockers, tires and a winch.

something to think about.

don't know much about troopers. wish you the best and excited to see what you do.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The montero is the best value for under 5k......

while I love my yota's they are: hard to find in non beat up condition (older ones) priced far higher than other vehicle (80's toys go for about 2.5-3k or more for nice ones) but for the higher price you get tons of aftermarket support, tons of community information (forums) and great capability out of the box. The engines are pretty pathetic on power though until you get to the 3.4l.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles