Best Value for $5000

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
4) Early 90s Toyota Land Cruiser or 4Runner; -Advantage: Reliability, easy to find one that hasn't been used hard
-Disadvantage: Cost would put a lift and tires outside of the budget.

I would avoid an early 90's (that is, 2nd gen, 1990 - 95) 4runner with the V-6. That is the problematic "Three point slow", an underpowered engine highly prone to head gasket failures. The 22re (4 cyl) was available in the 2nd gen but not as common as the 3.0. The 22re is also very underpowered but relatively robust.

I would second the recommendation for either a Trooper (if you can find a rust-free one in your area) or an XJ.

S

Squatchout

Anything that says Isuzu on it can be bought in good shape for under $5k. Often much less. If you can find a better snow machine you'll have to show it to me. Troopers have tons of cargo space. Take care of them and they will deliver 300k miles no probs. 1st gens are tough as nails. 2nd gens almost so but ride smoother and have more engine and are very comfortable to drive for a REAL truck with a frame under it. 3.5 trooper will tow 5,000lbs. If you want bigger like said before, there is a lot to recommend a Chevy tahoe / burb platform. Tacomas are great trucks but around here a 10 year old 200k mile one sells for $10k or better. way to much money for an old worn out truck. Nice thing about zoo's are They will do what you are asking out of the box with just a decent set of AT tires. Lifts and bigger tires just make them better. Isuzu's especially 1st gens were not designed for the American market. They were designed for back road use in 3rd world countries where a pair of pliers and a screwdriver are a toolbox.

zags

One issue you will run in to up there is rust. I think that would be a big strike against the unibody Jeep (that, and their stunning lack of reliability). The cost and availability of replacement parts should be a consideration for Land Rover and Isuzu (I had a range rover, incredible off road, but left me stranded too many times) Having been a professional auto tech for 24 years, I can say that there is nothing more reliable mentioned in this thread than Toyotas. The Land cruiser is the vehicle of choice for most expedition rigs for a reason. I have seen many Toyotas over 250k. I had an '86 had a minitruck I sold with 310k still going strong that never left me stranded. My current 4runner is fast approaching 200k and is still driven daily. 31's are an easy fit on the mini truck,4runner and land cruiser with no lift.

mikiekimi

One issue you will run in to up there is rust. I think that would be a big strike against the unibody Jeep (that, and their stunning lack of reliability). The cost and availability of replacement parts should be a consideration for Land Rover and Isuzu (I had a range rover, incredible off road, but left me stranded too many times) Having been a professional auto tech for 24 years, I can say that there is nothing more reliable mentioned in this thread than Toyotas. The Land cruiser is the vehicle of choice for most expedition rigs for a reason. I have seen many Toyotas over 250k. I had an '86 had a minitruck I sold with 310k still going strong that never left me stranded. My current 4runner is fast approaching 200k and is still driven daily. 31's are an easy fit on the mini truck,4runner and land cruiser with no lift.

How far back would you put Nissan/Infiniti behind Toyota? Reason I ask, I've been a loyal Toyota owner for the past 10 or so years ('99 100 series cruiser, 2007 FJ, 01 Lexus LX470, Lexus RX 330, 01 Corolla).

I'm going to pick up an Expo rig this year and am looking at potentially going to an 80 series cruiser or a Trooper.

Now I own an 07 Camry (great car) and I recently bought an '08 Pathfinder - nothing wrong with the Pathy...but I'm finding out that maybe it's not quite what Nissans used to be and has a long way to go to be what I would consider 'expo worthy'.

Wareagle

Observer
Troopers are the best. I've owned 4 troopers (86, 95, 01, 95), a 94 pathfinder, 91 exploder, 86 cherokee, 84 bronco II, 83 blazer s-10, 77 grand cherokee, 68 scout, 74 scout 2. I presently own a 2000 land cruiser. Of this bunch, the best was definitely the 2nd gen trooper and land cruiser. They were great on the street and trail. The trooper was a really cheap build. THe land cruiser proves to be an expensive build. The worst was the s-10 and cherokee.

S

Squatchout

Troopers are the best. I've owned 4 troopers (86, 95, 01, 95), a 94 pathfinder, 91 exploder, 86 cherokee, 84 bronco II, 83 blazer s-10, 77 grand cherokee, 68 scout, 74 scout 2. I presently own a 2000 land cruiser. Of this bunch, the best was definitely the 2nd gen trooper and land cruiser. They were great on the street and trail. The trooper was a really cheap build. THe land cruiser proves to be an expensive build. The worst was the s-10 and cherokee.

Like you Wareagle I've owned several different trucks and 4x's. Like you I keep coming back to the Zoo's. Buy a new brand x truck fight with problems the dealer or dealers can't fix. Do this for 1-1.5 years and give up on it. Buy a cheap used Zoo and drive it for a good while. Repeat! Just like Hondas. My $1500 beater used Civic has outlasted my last 3 new trucks and 38-40mpg! Same for the Troopers. Of course I've put huge time and work and money into my current 1st gen. But the money was still 1/3 to 1/2 of a new SUV and I have a NEW '88 Trooper with all the good stuff. I'm done with new car payments for ever. I want brakes that work when I step on them, not brakes run by a video game controller! I may sound a little biased but the lessons were hard learned.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, my first suggestion on this site....seems to me all very good advice above. My budget was about the same as yours for my new toy and went through all this. I almost went with a Cherokee. Came close to a Pathfinder. Both like gas IMO. I ended up with an 89 Raider (Gen 1, Mitsu Montero) v-6 5 speed, with 110K miles. For less than half the budget I got a 87 Raider, same Red color, auto that was wrecked in the front left for a parts car!

My suggestion would be to really consider what is popular in your neck of the woods. You might sell it someday and you want something marketable (I believe I have the only Raider in my area, so I missed my own advice). Parts will be in the yards for older vehicles too. There are alot of good vehicles mentioned. Troopers are not too popular in my area, but are good ones, my son had one. To date, my Pathfinder was bullet proof, but you need to know the dealer, same with Jeep but tons of after market parts to build whatever you need and for $$$$. Good luck!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
My Geo Tracker with a 7" lift and 33" Swampers gets 19mpg in town and 22mpg on open highway, tows an 800lb. Lifetime Tent Trailer with ease, cruises the Rubicon and other hardcore trails, and serves as my daily driver. You can build them for ridiculously cheap, it's easy and cheap to modify, and like most Japanese vehicles, will last darn near forever. The 2-door version (86 inch wheelbase) is way more off-road capable and maneuverable than a Jeep Wrangler, while the 4-door version (97 inch wheelbase) has plenty of room for 4 adults plus their gear, without being so big as to really hurt its off-road ability.

poriggity

Explorer
Honestly, I'd go with a Montero as well. My in laws own a 1994 and it's a beast. It's bone stock, and I have been pleading with them to let me buy it from them, since they only drive it in the winter when my MIL does not want to take her Mercedes SUV out.. I'd LOVE to build it. I love driving it... Enough that I am seriously considering buying one of my own if they will not sell to me.
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94