Best Value for $5000

caleb

I found this forum through a link a couple days ago. I've already killed hours here reading accounts of some great international adventures. This is a really amazing place.

I'm going to start posting with a fairly banal "what should I buy/do?" question. I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but I couldn't find anything with the search function. Please feel free to direct me to an older resource if one exists. So, my apologies in advance for asking a really basic question...

I want a four wheel drive for use here in Minnesota. That means lots of dirt two tracks, some rocks less than 12", deep ruts, and snow. I don't drive for entertainment, just to access the places I want to go. Experience has taught me that I'd like 31" tires or greater, but that I'm not willing to sacrifice highway safety. I really want the vehicle to end up level and not look like some sort of makeshift job. And, let's say I have a total budget of $5000.

That's it: 31" tires; level and safe; $5000. I don't have a brand loyalty. What I'm curious about is, what is the absolute best value combination? I'm not interested in the best possible truck at any cost, or the best possible platform I can build on in the future with more money. Rather, what do you guys think is the best way to reach my requirements and stay in my budget?

Here's what I've thought of so far, all with 125-175,000 miles:

1) Land Rover Discovery w/moderate lift and new tires.
-Advantages: Easy to find one that's never been off pavement for $3k, leaving $2k for tires, a lift, and anything that needs fixing.
-Disadvantage: Not super reliable.

2) Jeep Cherokee w/moderate lift and new tires.
Advantages: same as above
Disadvantage: same as above

3) Chevy ZR2 S-10 or Blazer
-Advantages: No modifications necessary. It will take 31" tires, be level and safe at highway speeds.
-Disadvantage: Around here it's difficult to find one that hasn't seen extensive use off road.

4) Early 90s Toyota Land Cruiser or 4Runner; early Nissan Xterra
-Advantage: Reliability, easy to find one that hasn't been used hard
-Disadvantage: Cost would put a lift and tires outside of the budget.

Any other suggestions?

Any opinions on the options above?

Thanks in advance for humoring my basic question.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Caleb, the Jeep Cherokee has some disadvantages but reliability isn't generally considered one.

Good luck with your decision. When in the market for a rig that's 10-20 years old, it is mostly about the condition of the rig and deal you can negotiate. All the rigs you've listed would probably fill your needs, it just comes down to finding one in good repair and suited to you.

Last edited:

Token

Explorer
Jeep Cherrokee
Pro..
Tons of aftermarket stuff that keeps the prices down.
Tons of folks have built them and built them right = tons of support is yours for the asking.
Can fit larger tires by using a sawzall.

Con..
No frame

dro805

Observer
i would probably get a jeep for cheap and spend the rest on lift and tires and other needed fixes. thats me though but good luck caleb

njtaco

Explorer
1988 fj62 (Shameless plug)

You can get a 1988 FJ62 for 5K that has had a bunch of preventive maintenance done, has 31 inch tires without a lift, and has proven reliable for the two and a half years I have owned her...

172,000+/- miles young:

attachment.php

Or you can get any number of other, similar FJ60/62s that are ready to adventure in. Much larger inside than a Cherokee, a real truck frame, strong solid axles, 4.11 gears from the factory, etc...

Full disclosure: Yup, that's my truck, and I'm biased! :)

Attachments

• FJ62 4-11-2010 034.JPG
    FJ62 4-11-2010 034.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,279

LACamper

Adventurer
Buy the Xterra (or at least the best vehicle for the money you have) and do the upgrades later as money becomes available.

have you thought about a obs tahoe/ suburban? you can run 31s no lift, good bit of support, and every auto parts store has all the parts to rebuild it in the parking lot, or you could just get the cruiser above ^^^^^^^^^^^

Bobfab

Observer
have you thought about a obs tahoe/ suburban? you can run 31s no lift, good bit of support, and every auto parts store has all the parts to rebuild it in the parking lot, or you could just get the cruiser above ^^^^^^^^^^^

and every auto parts store has all the parts to rebuild it in the parking lot... Huge selling point, and keeps the parts cheap. Im surprised no one has suggested a trooper, they seem to hit alot of the goals.

matt s

Explorer
K5 Blazer. Very biased opinion. However the points about parts are very valid. Cheap to fix, plenty of aftermarket, 32's with no lift, and good lookin to boot.

I had to throw it out there since the vast majority on this site live and breath Toyota. As Seinfeld says "not that there is anything wrong with that" ;-)

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Buy the Xterra (or at least the best vehicle for the money you have) and do the upgrades later as money becomes available.

Unfortunately you will have to wait until upgrades become available as well.

Not much support. I hope you never have to re and re the standard transmission.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Nissan hardbody-era (80's-'95) Pathfinder. Invincible, dirt cheap, reliable, comfortable... Leaves you anywhere from $4k to $0 to put in the bank or play with. Or you can do what I did with your same budget - 4x4 truck, AWD car, and some money left over.

D

Deleted member 9101

How about a 4 x 4 first generation tundra? You get a roomy, comfortable, reliable truck with plenty of power that's well built...and dosen't look like a rattle trap going down the road. Aftermarket support isn't the best, but even stock they are very capable trucks.

derelict

1991-isuzu-trooper-4x4-26.jpg

Running and rust free for $1500 all day long. 32-33" tires stock. Very tough trucks. Not a huge aftermarket but a truly international truck. Tons of room inside and VERY simple. $5k could get you a super nice Trooper and youll have plenty of money to use to get the other gear "needed."

Storz

Explorer
A lot of the hype about the Discovery being unreliable is just that, hype. I've had two, both a D1 and currently a D2 and they've been nothing but great for me.

That being said I would also 2nd some of the recommendations for an older Land Cruiser like the FJ60/62, for your budget you can get a helluva nice one. Older Troopers and Monteros are awesome as well.

In the end just get the cleanest, lowest mileage, most loved truck you can find. They should almost all have the ability you need

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94