SMB-W Nissan Van 4x4 Camper Conversion Coming??

cwsqbm

Explorer
A mini Sportsmobile would be great, something to replace those aging 4WD Westys.
Not all of us need or want fullsize rigs.

http://www.toyota.de/cars/new_cars/hiace/specs.aspx

I want the Hiace with the more forward controls, more like an old Westy. Its more space efficient.

They sell them in Japan and Australia.

Toyota AU
87189.jpg

87201.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny

Observer
Floor plan

Yep. :drool:

While we're daydreaming... I wish SMB would consider using the Tiger floor plan. :coffee:

With the "design your own" ability Sportsmobile can create a van with a similar floor plan. http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_dyo.html The reason this plan has not become a popular choice for Sportsmobile customers comes down to the storage space.

Bulk storage for key overlanding gear is not available with that particular plan. Things such as camping chairs and table, BBQs, tools and recovery gear, ice chests, duffle bags, etc would end up being stored in the aisle which would take that nice open plan and really clutter things up.

Bulk storage space is commonly overlooked when designing an interior...but is crucial for most people when considering the gear that will be brought along on each trip.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
With the "design your own" ability Sportsmobile can create a van with a similar floor plan. http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_dyo.html The reason this plan has not become a popular choice for Sportsmobile customers comes down to the storage space.

Bulk storage for key overlanding gear is not available with that particular plan. Things such as camping chairs and table, BBQs, tools and recovery gear, ice chests, duffle bags, etc would end up being stored in the aisle which would take that nice open plan and really clutter things up.

Bulk storage space is commonly overlooked when designing an interior...but is crucial for most people when considering the gear that will be brought along on each trip.
Jonny- Have you been inside a Tiger? Other than the ice chest (not sure why you'd need an ice chest in addition to the fridge?) we carry every item you mentioned without storing a single thing in the aisle and we still have 3 of our 8 upper cabinets and one rear compartment completely empty. Again, I'm a fan of SMB and very familiar with their layouts. I love the more capable SMB chassis but, IMHO, the Tiger interior is a better design and offers plenty of storage space.

RR1

Explorer
I want the Hiace with the more forward controls, more like an old Westy. Its more space efficient.

They sell them in Japan and Australia.

Toyota AU
87189.jpg

87201.jpg

Those would work too, but I like the Euro model so you're not sitting on top of the motor. Unless the motor was in back like the old VW's. I owned VW's, I do love the forward controls.

I highly doubt we will get either.

Would be nice if Ford replaces the E-Series with their Transit, this is a 4WD model by the way.

I dunno, don't care for the Nissan panel thing.

transitawd02.jpg

Jonny

Observer
Hey Tom,

I am not familiar with the Tiger. I should have clarified further when talking about that particular plan on the van chassis that Sportsmobile builds on. Storage options will definitely be different in a "box" on a cutaway compared to a standard van chassis. That particular plan on the van chassis that SMB builds on will not have much bulk storage space. My intention was to communicate the ability for a similar plan...or any number of different interior layouts to be installed in a Sportsmobile.

As for the ice chest...maybe I need to cut down on my beer consumption. :coffeedrink:

Cheers,

Jonny

TomH

Adventurer
Hi Jonny,

I did mention the Tiger, but I'm wondering if you may have confused my comments with those of HMR. He's the one who asked whether you'd been inside a Tiger and made the observation about the ice chest. No worries though. I will say that I am leaning more and more toward the Tiger as the vehicle that will meet my wife's and my needs. If I were to be adventuring on my own, a Sportsmobile would be ideal; in fact, I find it to be an awesome vehicle. I know many couples find it perfect. As it is, however, my wife and I as a couple just have to have more space. Also, while the SMB is more off road capable, I believe the Tiger will be able to provide all the 4x4 abilities we will need.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
I saw a new HiAce van near the San Francisco airport the other day. I couldn't see what sort of license plate it carried. Hmmmmm?

RR1

Explorer
While I do love those old panel trucks...not sure why Nissan is going this direction, seems to me that the extra wheelbase gained with the truck front end over a conventional van, would be a hindrance in a service type vehicle.

The Euro spec NV400 makes much sense.

http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/lcv/nv400

0030528001296721609l.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior