2002 Unimog U500 $80K

haven

Expedition Leader
Since this post was ignored in the "vehicles for sale" section, I'm
repeating it here. The U500 is just about the only solution if you
want a USA-legal chassis that's maneuverable off-road, and built
to carry 26,000 lbs.

---------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...0086?pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4cf32ce496

2002 Mercedes Benz Unimog U500
15,000 miles $80,000 or best offer
3 way tipper bed
154 inch wheelbase
diff locks front and rear
central tire inflation system

"no known mechanical problems"

for sale by dealer in Salt Lake City
ad also mentions four unmounted tires, $1750 for all four

A close look at the 3rd picture down on the right hand column (the tire, wheel and hub) reveals that there is no CTIS hose or quick disconnect fitting. there do not appear to be the 3 switches on the switch console for CTIS.

Charlie

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Since this post was ignored in the "vehicles for sale" section, I'm
repeating it here. The U500 is just about the only solution if you
want a USA-legal chassis that's maneuverable off-road, and built
to carry 26,000 lbs.

---------------------------

...and have lots of dispensable income to buy tires...

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Earliest Unimogs (401 and 411) had 25hp 4cly diesels, the Military 404 is the only one that had a petrol engine from the factory.

foontoon

I have something for trade

Haven- I'm not experienced with these units but I want something like a Unicat that can be used as an RV (mainly). Presume the RV "Pod" loads on the back of this or am I off base with that presumption. The holding tanks, generator and all that stuff would still be absent.

I'm moving to Panama. I wonder if I could find work for this down there ? I'm going to be semi retired and the hammock and Margaritas will only entertain me so long.

I am not a cash buyer. I have this for trade but would need either cash difference or something else in trade.

http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail563963.htm

Anyone with other suggestions of how I could find a 4 wheel drive RV in trade for my Prevost let me know please. Thank you. My direct email is jeff@skincarepro.com I don't log in here very often but will try to remember to check back.

haven

Expedition Leader
Hello fontoon, and welcome to ExPo.

There are two approaches to mount a camper on a large chassis like the Unimog U500. The first, as you suggest, is to make the camper completely self-contained, and then perch it on the back of the chassis. This has the advantage of making the camper section relatively easy to remove. The truck chassis can then be used for other purposes. Also, the truck doesn't have to be present until the final stage of the construction process.

The second approach is to integrate the camper and chassis, mounting the batteries, water supply and holding tanks down low in the chassis. This improves (lowers) the center of gravity of the vehicle, and makes more room inside the camper. Separating the camper from the chassis becomes a time-consuming process, only performed when some major surgery is required.

To my knowledge, Global Expedition Vehicles in Missouri is the only company in USA that is building expedition vehicles using the U500 chassis today. Mike Van Pelt is the owner, and an ExPo member. Mike will be happy to talk with you about your requirements. http://globalxvehicles.com/vehicles/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles