Getting my first bike, help guide me..

RR1

Explorer
Jess,

You can learn a lot from ADV Rider, I don't really pay attention to the manufacture forums. Seems like some guys get really emotional on the tiniest things, I pretty much only read the trip reports, you can learn mucho grande on what works and doesn't work just from those trip reports.

My new goal is to make the Elefantentreffen Rally http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547029

I enjoy reading Doug's ride reports: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582830&page=13

Just about anything with two wheels will work. The guy with the R1 riding around the world is a good one too.

0803or_z+motivational_posters+adventure.jpg

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
Keep in mind that most "modular" helmets are not Snell approved. This is because of the testing process the Snell Foundation uses, not because the helmets are any less safe than an open or full faced similar model.

RR1

Explorer
Keep in mind that most "modular" helmets are not Snell approved. This is because of the testing process the Snell Foundation uses, not because the helmets are any less safe than an open or full faced similar model.

Those things scare me, I envision them popping open when someone's head hits the deck.

Rexsname

Explorer
I love my 'modular' helmet! I really like the ability to flip it open when I'm stopped at a light. Makes getting a sip out of my camelback easier too.

REX

AUTO360

Adventurer
I have to agree with starting out with a KLR. But I think a Suzuki DR650 or a Honda 650L would work also. The 2 latter ones are geared a little more towards the dirt though. The Honda 650R pictured early would not be that great because its kick start. Sometimes kickstarting is no problem but drop your after trying to go up a hill and then it the bike floods...you have all your gear on...your in Az in the summer time....well, kickstarting gets old REALLY fast. But anyway....
Yes, modular helmets are AWESOME!

Bigger Al

I'm 6'2" and 265 lbs., and my '95 KLR650 fills the bill very nicely. KLR's are cheap to buy, easy to work on, and the aftermarket support is mind-boggling. I bought mine almost 3 years ago with 5,200 miles on the clock for the princely sum of $1,900. It looked like it had just come off of the showroom floor, and had been babied. Here's how it looked this past Summer on a 3.5K-mile trip throughout the Western US:

970734239_vJfiz-L.jpg

My wife and I have been moto-camping for years, and the KLR is big enough to be loaded like a pack mule and still be able to carry highway speeds when necessary.

Your size will dictate some mods for comfort, such as a different seat (the stocker is a cruel torture device designed by the Japanese to get back for WWII) handlebars, and windscreens. Suspension will be high on the list, too, and there are some really great options available.

As njtaco said, you'll be spending a lot of time over on ADV. :)

Good luck on your choice!

hilligan

Newby here throwing in my 2 cents.

I ride this, a KLR 650. I've done about 5,000 miles on it this season and it's never missed a beat. Doesn't do anything great, does everything 'okay'. I am 62 years old, 6'2" tall, 240 pounds and had to do a few mods to get comfortable. If you decide on one of these there are at least 3 very good forums for the KLR with answers to any questions you have, and a wealth of knowledge.

DSCN0612.jpg

Great site! Thanks to Curtis in Texas for giving me a heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles