Getting my first bike, help guide me..

roamingaz

Explorer
I have often wanted a motorcyle of some sort but have never had a chance to actualy ride one, I have ridden quads and 3 wheelers before and they were a blast. With gas prices getting out of hand and having a old full size truck my weekend trips are getting shorter and further apart. So I have decided to sell off my truck and get a dual sport and I need some help to set in me int he right direction.
I am taking a basic riders course the first week of December, that will be my first big step. If I can sell my truck and all the goodies I have on it I should have a nice budget to work with. what should I look for in riding gear/helmets?

Here is a nice BMW650 I came across and it looks to be a really nice beginning bike
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/2076874179.html

All the guys that ride at my work ride big Harley's and told me to start off with a 1100 and that I need a "big" bike, I don't feel like I do and want to start small what do you all think?
I am 6'3" 260

getting excited now and need to start selling some stuff...RTT, Fridge...truck:elkgrin:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Jess, I think it's time we have a vehicle intervention...seriously i thought we had a problem keeping vehicles around here.

Might I say as a person who has both a dual sport and a truck still they are very different animals especially when it comes to camping and traveling. The biggest being cost vs comfort. I know you mentioned before taking your family out...well there is no doing that on a bike unless everyone has one. Other things you might want to consider:

What happens when you get caught in crappy weather on a bike vs truck.

Taking less gear vs more

Riding at night vs driving

Getting tired or feeling sick but still needing to travel

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from getting a bike...I still love mine, and even though it's small it's fun as hell to ride. But I still have a vehicle...if it's crappy weather, too hot or too cold, if I want to take the dog or carry my bicycle, I still have the option..you won't so think about it!!

As for size advice, I'm glad I listened to the folks here who said don't buy too big a bike. I'm glad I started small and I'm still happy with the 250. For a guy your size I'd think a 650 would be great. BMW is high maintenance costs though maybe look at a KLR too.

roamingaz

Explorer
Thanks for the advice!
I didn't mention I still will have my daily driver and my sequoia for family trips. I mostly want a bike for solo trips.

njtaco

Explorer
I spend waaaay too much time on ADVRider.com when I am not on ExPo. You are about to too. :sombrero:

Off the top of my head I'd suggest either a DRZ400 or else a KLR650 to start. Both models have taken people as far as they dared all over the globe, and are readily available new or used. Look around the ADVRider site and see what seems to fit guys as tall as you with similar experience levels. I have a DL650 VStrom, but while it is a dual sport in name it is really 80% a road bike, 20% a gravel road bike. Rider skills can change that bias, but to start out dual sporting in AZ I think there are better choices. AS for me, I will probably be looking into either a Super Sherpa or a DRZ400 to add to the stable, but I am 5'10" and the little Sherpa will be fine for me.

All bikes have their strengths and weaknesses, so go in with an open mind and be patient. Loads on money is to be saved by waiting for the right deal on bikes, gear, parts, luggage, etc. if you aren't in a hurry. The exception is a helmet...buy new on sale. Don't buy used.

OK, that's enough "advise" from a guy like me that is also new to dual sports. Good luck with your search.

Oh yea, there is an MSF dirt bike school too! http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/Locations.aspx

zolo

Explorer
At 6"3" A BMW650 might be a little tight.
Unless its the Dakar version, pretty sure that model is a bit taller.

The Vstrom DL650 would be more comfortable and is a great bike. I understand that its not a great offroader. But on FS roads and BLM roads it would be just fine with a set of 80/20 tires. This would be a good and reliable bike to learn on.

There is always the KLR and it is a pretty tall bike that a 6"3" guy could be comfy on. You can get a great KLR for a good deal almost any place. Also good reliable bike to learn on.

Id look into a DL650 if I had to do it all over again.
My first bike was a 1200cc ZRX1200R. Its was the most wheely happy scariest thing Ive ever ridden. Id like to own it now though:bike_rider:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I ride a Dakar and it's a great dual sport bike. I do not commute on it and only use it for trips. The Dakar is great for everything but not excellent at anything. The Dakar has high seat height, heavy, and very expensive to repair when you crash. With that said being your first I would look hard at a KLR. The KLR is cheap, good wind protection, lower seat height, tons of available farkels, and cheap to repair when you crash. Save some money and put the extra dollars into some good gear, you will need it being your first heavy dual sport if you go offroad.

roamingaz

Explorer
I ride a Dakar and it's a great dual sport bike. I do not commute on it and only use it for trips. The Dakar is great for everything but not excellent at anything. The Dakar has high seat height, heavy, and very expensive to repair when you crash. With that said being your first I would look hard at a KLR. The KLR is cheap, good wind protection, lower seat height, tons of available farkels, and cheap to repair when you crash. Save some money and put the extra dollars into some good gear, you will need it being your first heavy dual sport if you go offroad.

Thanks Phil, great info. I have been looking at the
klr because they are cheap compared to the bmw.
Where in the phx. Area would be a good place to shop for riding gear?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thanks for the advice!
I didn't mention I still will have my daily driver and my sequoia for family trips. I mostly want a bike for solo trips.

Well then that changes everything!

Thanks Phil, great info. I have been looking at the
klr because they are cheap compared to the bmw.
Where in the phx. Area would be a good place to shop for riding gear?

I've had good experiences with the guys at Cycle Gear specifically the one on Cave Creek...I know thats a ways from you. They generally have pretty good deals at times on helmets...I got a smoking deal on my Arai from The Helmet Center but it was a discontinued color and I wear an XS :).

I cannot say enough about the Motoport jackets. My customer service experience with them was great....I was really leery about custom ordering something over the phone but they took the time to get my proper measurements and the jacket came out perfect. Its comfortable to wear, maybe not the most stylish thing, but I do like it. And they will pretty much customize it to what you want...the one I linked to above is the model I ordered but I changed some of the pockets around. I'll see if I can find a picture for you. If you want to buy one jacket thats what I'd recommend.

And of course, for bags and accessories, Sierra Expeditions.

RR1

Explorer
My advice for a learner bike, something super cheap so you don't cry dollar signs when you crash your brains out.

That and a good set of wrap around handguards, these are worth their weight in gold. keeps you from busting levers. Riding out with a broken clutch/front brake lever
sucks. Even with my guards I still carry spare levers

50-5132.jpg

The 400 mention earlier is gonna be too cramped feeling for you, I think you can handle a 650 DS.

Gear, I always look for closeout deals, Motosport, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, Dennis Kirk, etc. Find better deals there than Cycle Gear.

If you want local go to Moto City: http://www.azmotocity.com/

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

http://www.motosport.com/

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp

You should look at The Big Red Pig too (XR 650)

If you are going to do more dirt than road, great choice.

Here is one set up in Rally mode.

2002_HondaXR650R.jpg

XR 600, don't have to worry about smashing off radiators when you crash. You can get these super cheap as a learner bike.

xr6002.jpg

Or Husqvarna 610, usually can find these at a pretty good price used.

2009-husqvarna-te610iea-small.jpg

Or the paint shaker KTM 640, I don't really think they shake that much, but some do...

KTM%20640%20Adventure%20Traveller's%20Edition..jpg

Or Suzuki DR 650

dr650_screensforbikes.jpg

Last edited:

91redford

i have a KLR that was relativly cheap to buy new, alot of fun to set up to go anywhere around the globe, and can do most things fairly well. it has hard bags and heated grips and asorted other goodies, it made it to the Arctic circle in 2007 and would go again if needed.. i also have a 1995 GSPD classic airhead BMW, this was the last year of these airheads and a bike that many swear by. a head turner. i also ride a 2009 GSA, absolutly amazing...but around 20K..so it better be...at your height a KLR would be a perfect fit. i would look at pre 2008 models as some say the newer ones have oil consumtion issues..the BMW 650 is also a great choice, my buddy rides one and loves it, always pointing out he gets 60MPG or better...but the technology level is much greater than the KLR, i can fix most systems roadside if needed. if you feel the need you gotta explore your inner biker!!! i would bet you'll have no regrets. and if you want to buy my adventure ready KLR it is for sale...j

njtaco

Explorer
I forgot to mention... at Newenough.com there are good deals to be had on gear. I have bought two jackets (mesh for summer, warm for winter) from them and they were absolutely brand spanking new in the original protective bags with the manufacturer's display hangers and all. I paid below HALF of retail on both.

Not to say supporting your local cycle shop is bad, but I tried three locals and nobody had much gear to chose from, and what they did have didn't fit. Unfortunately our current economy (combined with poor service, in one case) has closed two out those three in the last 12 months. I make a point of shopping at the remaining shop whenever I can. (His prices are very fair too).

roamingaz

Explorer
I can already feel this is going to be a addiction !
more questions for everyone-

How well do the knobby tires handle on the road?

What is a "good" helmet? Brand to look for?

MarcFJ60

Adventurer

If you get a street oriented knobby, it will do fine on the road. Not as good as a street only tire, but many will handle turns better than the rider can. Street knobbies (TKC80, Michelin T63, IRC GP-1, etc) have shorter knobs, a rounder profile, and less open space than a pure dirt knobby. Because of that, they handle well on the road but aren't as good in dirt as a true knobby.

Helmets:

You'll hear this a lot - FIT is the most important thing. Brands such as Arai and Shoei generally have better quality but there is no evidence they protect you any better than a DOT rated cheaper brand. I got rid of my Arai because it just wasn't that pleasant at speed. Although the quality was better than my HJC, it wasn't night and day and certainly not worth the price difference. HJC makes very good helmets at very good prices. Scorpion helmets are also a good value. My current daily helmet is a GMax G68. It's a $120 helmet that is far more comfortable than my $400+ Arai ever was.

In short, if it has current certifications (DOT, Snell, the European one), it will be just fine. Just make sure it fits your head.

As said earlier, ADVrider is the place to go for dualsport research.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

Like the post above todays knobbies will stick to anything you throw at them as a new rider. The only thing that can get your attention is when they crack seal the roads in the summer. The cracks get soft (slippery) with the heat but after your first spirited corner you slow down.:bike_rider:

Helmets - Do some research not all heads are shaped the same and same goes for helmets. Find the brand that shaped the same as your head. My bike does not start without my helmet on period. So make sure its comfortable and the fit is correct and snug. Personally I like an aftermarket quick release connect latch for the helmet, set it correctly and forget it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior