Not engaging

05liberty

My buddy has a new to him 88 Chev PU 4x4 . The font axle wont engage ( lever on the floor not pushbutton) does any one have any ideas what it could b or what to look for/at ?

njtaco

Explorer
The thermal linear actuator goes bad on those with some frequency. It is mounted on the IFS differential housing (I think on the pass side). Check with a voltmeter.

There exists aftermarket solutions, but I don't recall exactly what right now... (ETA: one solution: Posi-Lok)

If it is a four door pickup, I think it has a "solid" axle and not IFS. In that case, forget what I just said... :)

ETA: More info from HERE:

There is a TSB about these actuators. when working properly they take about 10 seconds to engage. lots of complaints back in the day. GM makes a motor and an adapter harness that goes for like 230 out the door. It engages the 4x4 insantly like an old setup. far superior to the thermal actuator. if you do alot with your 4x4, you might want to consider it.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
The nice thing about the factory piece is it only fails when you need 4wd :elkgrin:

Get a Posi Loc and never look back! :)

05liberty

Thanks for the replies ! I'll let him know what to look at .. I'm sure Ill be recruited to help this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles