Ultimate Expedition Bicycle Shoe

trailsurfer

Explorer
Scott,

I have a different opinion on shoes. I would get a "true" mountain bike shoe. I have walked, hiked, and pushed my bike hundreds of miles in real MTB race shoes without any problem.

2 years ago in Stage 1 of the BC bike race. I blew my rear derailleur on mile 4 of a 65 mile stage. I figured that I walked about 20 miles of that stage pushing my bike up the mountains, 7000 +ft of vertical that day. It was more like running trying to make the two separate cutoffs. My feet felt great, and MTB race shoes are just so much more efficient when you are pedaling that it is worth any discomfort, if at all, when walking.

I would go with a 3 strap mountain bike shoe like the Specialized Sport.

I can't get the picture to link, but I have found Specialized to be the most comfortable and have the best soles for walking.

Wander

Expedition Leader
What cleat system do you use now?

I think SPD's are the trick for MTB's. As mentioned before having flexibility ion the sole is a plus for this which is good as that means you get to shop the less expensive models. I recently switched from Sidi to Shimano for my road shoes mainly due to a deal and have found them very comfortable and well made. I was worried after so many years with Sidi's and there glove like fit but so far so good.

Make triple sure they fit well, bring your bike into the shop and put it on a trainer and ride with the shoes on for 10-15 minutes to make sure there aren't any hot spots, a trip that long will suck big time with bad shoes.

Flounder- Man bringing up Detto's takes me back! Wood soles and brass tacks for the cleats, those were the days!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Flounder- Man bringing up Detto's takes me back! Wood soles and brass tacks for the cleats, those were the days!
Yes, I date myself every now and then. My first season I raced a wool jersey, leather helmet and had a pair of fleece (as in sheepy goodness) lined winter, leather soled Detto Pietros. I raced with Super Record pedals with Alfredo Binda toe straps. Where in the world did 26 years go so fast!!!

Anyone remember the first Look clipless in '86? Tanks. But they were way better than the first Shimano SPDs which were the size of hockey pucks and weighed as much.

Wander

Expedition Leader
remember them...I still have them!

I got the first pair I could find in NC-also got a pair of Patrick cleats that where the only shoes with the look bolt pattern pre-drilled. I can remember the first dozen or so races when I was one of the few with look pedals and the advantage they gave me off the line.

I used to run the Campy pista pedals that had the cage end cut off with christphe toe clips and binda straps- my first team kit was also wool with a real leather chamois pad.

Bluedog225

Observer
Hello

I don't often bump a thread this old. However, after searching a bit, it seemed like the most relevant to my question and we can keep it all in one place.

Several years have passed, and I'd appreciate any input into current thinking of expedition bike shoes. Specifically, I am planning to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (mostly unpaved roads) on a recumbent.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on recommended shoes. And thoughts on whether going without cleats is better long-term for the knees. I have crank bros. double sided pedals so either is an option.

Thanks

Tom

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've ridden with Sidi Dominators for many years, used them for everything. However I got a pair of Shimano XM7 shoes last year and have to admit that my resistance to a more hiking oriented shoes was unfounded. Very comfortable, certainly easy to hike in and I don't feel I've very lost much cycling efficiency. They are clunky and heavy so I wouldn't select them to race but as a touring shoe I've been pleased and haven't felt a need to go to flats. I still use my Sidi on a daily basis, though.

zelseman

Observer
I have yet to do any really extended travel on bikes, but I have recently switched from clip ins to flat peddles and have really enjoyed it. I have not missed much support or grip and they are perfect for traveling through the slick rock and terrain of the southwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles