Ultimate Expedition Bicycle Shoe

Scott Brady

Founder
I don't know about the rest of you, but if I am going to ride the Continental Divide trail, I am going to be doing some walking. In fact, anytime I ride with Christophe, I will be doing some walking.

So, since the goal is not uber-high-speed racing action, what is the best shoe options that address the need for clipless and still allow somewhat comfortable walking.

These Pearl Izumi's look pretty sweet: Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek WRX
1673130b-1cf5-43d8-8756-616026fb927a.jpg

Specialized Trail 110:
6117-50_l.jpg

Thoughts?

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Scott,

I have done a number of long distance mountain bike events including 12 hour solo races and Vision Quest. Nothing as long as the divide will take you though. One shoe I can recommend is the Specialized Tahoe. Very comfy shoe with a lot of support. There's a 2.5 mile hike a bike section on VQ that traverses some gnarly vertical terrain with fist size rock where these shoes came in handy. As with any shoe I'd try them all on and also no matter what cycling shoe you buy none are made for extended walking so plan ahead for blisters and a little discomfort just in case. I had to hike 4 hours out of a trail once when my bike exploded and I could not fix it. Let's just say Sworks shoes are NOT made for hiking!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=47115

Also, if you think you'll be doing a lot of walking maybe consider packing a pair of walking shoes. Good luck! The divide is on my list to do someday as well.

Jordan

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'd say Scott hit the nail on the head. For even the most burly and fit riders, any bikepack adventure, long or short, will have ample walking. It's not that you get forced off the bike because you can't ride that next steep section, it's often because you shouldn't ride that next steep section as a matter of saving your bullets. One overblown effort trying to ride a steep pitch is enough to bring your day to a hault, or slow it to a crawl.

Those Pearlizumi shoes are an excellent choice. I have used those on a few trips. They're a good mix of riding stiffness and walking comfort. I should also point out, no matter what you take, make sure it is supremely comfortable and familiar. I ride Sidi Dominators, even for some bikepacking romps. They feel like the proverbial old pair of shoes.. Here's the bummer - a single bikepack trip can nearly ruin a pair of race shoes. Racing shoes can be comfortable to walk in, but give it a mile or two on rocky terrain and those race slippers can look like hobo shoes in an afternoon. Plus, I've had one unfortunate blow out of a fancy buckle on day two. That made for two more days of duct tape.

Sidi Dominators:dom.jpg

Some of you may know of Jeff Kerkove of the Ergon Cycling Team. He's one of the best ultra-endurance riders in North America. He was a favorite for the 2010 Colorado Trail Race, a 490 mile race from Denver to Durango. This was his first extended bikepack romp and by day three he had to abandon the race with severe blisters to his heals. His remedy, which was probably three days too late, was to do this:
shoeholes.jpg

Excellent topic, Scott. As we discussed earlier today, another important factor is the choice of pedal regarding cleat material. It isn't ideal to walk long stretches on brass cleats or complex cleats like those on Speedplay Frogs. A stout steel cleat survives walking miles better than anything else.

Edit: Speaking of this year's Colorado Trail Race and feet - This is what the winner's feet looked like by day two. Yikes. Even with good shoes, happy feet are tough to achieve.

foot.jpg

Last edited:

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
I'd say Scott hit the nail on the head. For even the most burly and fit riders, any bikepack adventure, long or short, will have ample walking. It's not that you get forced off the bike because you can't ride that next steep section, it's often because you shouldn't ride that next steep section as a matter of saving your bullets. One overblown effort trying to ride a steep pitch is enough to bring your day to a hault, or slow it to a crawl.

Those Pearlizumi shoes are an excellent choice. I have used those on a few trips. They're a good mix of riding stiffness and walking comfort. I should also point out, no matter what you take, make sure it is supremely comfortable and familiar. I ride Sidi Dominators, even for some bikepacking romps. They feel like the proverbial old pair of shoes.. Here's the bummer - a single bikepack trip can nearly ruin a pair of race shoes. Racing shoes can be comfortable to walk in, but give it a mile or two on rocky terrain and those race slippers can look like hobo shoes in an afternoon. Plus, I've had one unfortunate blow out of a fancy buckle on day two. That made for two more days of duct tape.

Sidi Dominators:View attachment 49971

Some of you may know of Jeff Kerkove of the Ergon Cycling Team. He's one of the best ultra-endurance riders in North America. He was a favorite for the 2010 Colorado Trail Race, a 490 mile race from Denver to Durango. This was his first extended bikepack romp and by day three he had to abandon the race with severe blisters to his heals. His remedy, which was probably three days too late, was to do this:
View attachment 49972

Excellent topic, Scott. As we discussed earlier today, another important factor is the choice of pedal regarding cleat material. It isn't ideal to walk long stretches on brass cleats or complex cleats like those on Speedplay Frogs. A stout steel cleat survives walking miles better than anything else.

Edit: Speaking of this year's Colorado Trail Race and feet - This is what the winner's feet looked like by day two. Yikes. Even with good shoes, happy feet are tough to achieve.

View attachment 49976

Jeff is a good friend and a great guy. Loves to get down and dance with the ladies in Vegas at Interbike (shhhh) haha. I'd take any endurance info from his site to heart, he is an ironman on a bike.

bluedog

Adventurer
My recommendation before you decide on a particular brand would be to head out to your LBS and try some on. All brands fit different for different people. Flounder had a good experience with the Pearl shoes, I have had the exact opposite experience with them.

My criteria:

-A more flexible sole for walking. No carbon fiber.
-A real rubber tread. The Dominator's are great, we sell them all day long, but the tread is more plastic than rubber and does get slippery.
-You won't like the laces when they get clogged with mud, plant life, or freeze. Buckles are very reliable.
-Do you see the need for toe spikes? (cleats in the front of the shoe).
-I would stick with a Shimano SPD pedal
-If you have a wide foot, look to Lake, Northwave, Shimano.
-If the temps will be coolish, Lake makes a great waterproof shoe with a very walkable sole, the MX 140. I've been using this shoe all fall and love it.

My 2 cents.

B

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My recommendation before you decide on a particular brand would be to head out to your LBS and try some on.
My criteria:

-You won't like the laces when they get clogged with mud, plant life, or freeze. Buckles are very reliable.

B
I probably should have included the typical "if it fits" clause. Point well taken.

I've been using Dominators since the very early 90s. Without a doubt, one of my favorite shoes. However, for rugged multi-day backcountry use where walking in super rocky terrain is inevitable, I shy away from buckles. I broke a Sidi buckle on a three week trip in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Buckles are, as you say, reliable but when they go it really sucks.

bluedog

Adventurer
I probably should have included the typical "if it fits" clause. Point well taken.

I've been using Dominators since the very early 90s. Without a doubt, one of my favorite shoes. However, for rugged multi-day backcountry use where walking in super rocky terrain is inevitable, I shy away from buckles. I broke a Sidi buckle on a three week trip in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. Buckles are, as you say, reliable but when they go it really sucks.

I hear ya but, I have a pr. of Dominators and a pr. of Northwave shoes both with some type of buckle, never broken one. I even slid down the road on the buckle of my Shimano road shoes, still clicking away. You can always toss an extra buckle and strap in your seat bag. They weight next to nothing.

If your dead set against the buckle 3 velcro straps IMHO are much better than laces any day.

B

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If your dead set against the buckle 3 velcro straps IMHO are much better than laces any day.

B
Not dead set against it. I just seem to encounter enough talus and scree, especially on high alpine trails that the buckle worries me. With my Dominators, the two times I've blown the buckle, it has been the threaded cleat mount that has suffered most. Keep in mind, my two blown buckles span 15 years and thousands of miles of backcountry riding, so it's a minor concern. This is the Alp-X shoe I've been using:
pearl.jpg

One major drawback to laces is the fact you can't adjust your shoes on the fly. At least with velcro you can reach down and synch them up as needed.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Last year as a birthday present to myself I bought the womens version of the Keen Springwater shoe:

keen-springwater7.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Keens in general, and I own several different pairs so when I saw they were coming out with a bike shoe I was very excited. I have to say after a year of ownership I still love them! I've worn them on and off the trail...lots of hike-a-bike at Tour of the White Mountains this year due to an unrepairable flat: uphill, downhill, through mud and lava rocks...very comfortable and stable with good traction. Velcro straps, which I prefer and they typical Keen rubber toe for those of us who run into things a lot.

One thing that was a big seller for me on these was that the footbed where you attach the cleats is recessed a bit more, making it easier to walk especially on harder floors without slipping or leaving scratch marks. These are so comfortable and easy to walk in that I don't even bother taking an extra pair of shoes with me to work anymore, I just wear these all day.

keen-springwater5-600x471.jpg

I'm interested in trying their cycling sandals next for the summer, although I hear the footbed on those is really stiff and has a bit of a different feel.

HelaJames

Observer
I have had the TAHOE from specialized for 3 years and I find then to be just right with the I have Crankbros pedals to go with them. They fit and feel like a normal shoe for walking in but can still clip in.

I will be buying another pair when these are completely done.

Highly recommended

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

I also have been in Sidis (currently eeking the final days of Dominator 5) for a while now and I agree, love them, the buckles have been a PITA enough that I carry a spare on anything longer than an after work ride. I've broken then such that they don't release and I had to contort my foot out of the shoe at the end of the day. Velcro straps lose fuzz and all but stop working if they get wet in sub-freezing, laces gum up, nothing is perfect, though for bikepacking laces and real soles would be a safe choice since the pace makes on-the-fly tweaks less critical.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I have a pair of Specialized Tahoe's from a few years back. I wore them three- four times, I'll stick with my Dragon 2s. I cut off the velcro strap, because it seemed redundant and useless to me. Anyways size 44/10.5 US. $30 shipped w/o the cleats. If anyone wants to try them.
5230867142_e3854e7c12_b.jpg

I hope this isn't against the rules, but it seems applicable.

-Chris

kmacafee

Adventurer
Another Approach to consider

Ditch the cleats all together. It opens up a lot more possibilities for shoes and if you, like me, are often faced with terrain that requires some "hike a biking", non-cleated shoes are far more useful. The key is to find a shoe that has a stiff enough insole to dissipate the pressure (Keens work well) and combine it with a wide pedal with adequate grip so your feet stay put. Crank Brothers makes a few.

I went cleatless a few years ago, and after a few miles getting used to it, would never go back. I have seen no difference whatsoever in my ability to ride and climb with a loaded bike on loose surfaces, and it eliminates the need to carry extra shoes for off riding needs. Oh, and your knees willthank yu later in life.

Cheers

Kevin:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles