Expeditions West: FZJ80 Land Cruiser

Toyotero

Explorer
Previous owner modifications can sometimes be a source of frustration for the new owner... considering who owned this one and what's evident in the images, it looks like the mods were all well in line with what I'd expect your goal to be.

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to seeing the buildup :-D

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
Congrats on the new vehicle!

Forgive my ignorance (I'm a newbie) - In your opinion,... in general, which would be a better all around overland cruiser - The FZJ80 once modified, or DesertRose's restored 1984 FJ60, with the new International 3.0-liter turbo diesel and new Toyota 5-speed transmission, plus all her other added mods?

I ask, becuase as noted above, I'm a newbie, plus I'm considering purchasing an older LC, having it restored/modified, to use as an overland vehicle.

Finally, I'm assuming the FJ60, w/ it's conversion/restoration, was substantially more expensive - I'm alright with that.

Congrats again & TIA!

Cheers!
~CLK

cnskate

Adventurer
I just bought almost the same vehicle with many of those mods a month ago. I just put the Expo sticker on it. It will be fun to see the same truck going to the ends of the earth :coffeedrink: I probably wont get much further south than Beef Basin for a few years.

Scott Brady

Founder
Christian and I are going to work on the truck this coming Tuesday afternoon in Prescott, if anyone wants to come hang-out.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One of the things that we have to look over on Tuesday is one of the front hubs.

This Land Cruiser has manual locking hubs in the front. They did not come like this but somehow someone installed these hubs.

Apparently one of the hubs does not engage.

Can someone point me to a write up somewhere on the web so i have a beeter idea of what we are facing? Any idea on what could be the problem?

Thanks!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If it has hubs installed, its likely got a part-time kit installed (Slee offers a kit here in the states) or they have installed a Center Diff Lock switch only and rely on that when the front hunbs were un-locked. Without one or the other, damage could occur to the viscous coupler when the hubs are not locked.

Can't tell from the pics, what brand hubs? Aisin? AVM?

If you need any axle parts I'd be happy to help you guys out.

Ash

Adventurer
Nice pick-up.

If you're looking for a true full-size roof rack then I would look at the Bajarack Maggiolina designed for a medium sized Maggi. It looks like it was made for the FZJ80 and is easily the biggest Bajarack. Much more flexible than the regular 80 series rack too due to the lack of a side railing.

I'm pretty sure it's still not listed on their website

These are the only photos I have accessible from work:

1_%20%282%29.JPG

1_%20%2833%29.JPG

As always - looking forward to following the progress of your build :)

Ash

Scott Brady

Founder
Can't tell from the pics, what brand hubs? Aisin? AVM?

If you need any axle parts I'd be happy to help you guys out.

I am nearly certain it is the Slee kit, as it has been converted to a true part-time case, while still retaining the center differential lock.

It has Aisin hubs. I think what happened is one of the hubs was not fully disengaged at one point, possibly by someone playing around while parked.

I got good-and-stuck in the sand in Baja when 4wd really wasn't 4wd ;)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Yep, as Scott said, it is all good now. I opened it and cleaned it and it works fine. It also got a roof top tent on it today.

Tomorrow we just need to fix a little bracket on the sway bar, clean it up from the Baja dust, install the fridge and it'll be ready for its new home in San Francisco.

lt1fire

Adventurer
If it is a part time from Slee then the hubs will be AVM.

Also the only draw backs from the kit is loss of CDL in 4wd H and loss of ABS when in 2wd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles