ARB CKMA12 Compressor - how's the reliability?

alexrex20

Explorer
4wa20th001%20017.jpg

Am I the only one having reliability issues with this compressor? I've had it warrantied three times in two years. (I also broke an ARB air locker. :rolleyes:) Yes, ARB customer service is great, but it's still a huge PITA. I'm lucky that they have not (yet) left me stranded.

In their emails, ARB says it's odd that my compressor has failed on me not twice, but three times, because it's such a rare failure. I find that hard to believe. Anybody else break one of these things?

corax

Explorer
how is it failing? if the motor is burning up, measure the voltage right at the compressor - if the voltage is much lower than battery voltage it may be causing the motor to run slow and burn up

Vermejo

Adventurer
I’ve used my CKMA12 heavily for three years with zero issues. It flawlessly engages my front ARB locker a few dozen times a week and airs my 35’s up from 12 psi to 35 psi in the same time as when I first purchased the unit. Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours.

alexrex20

Explorer
The bolt that attaches the piston to the crankshaft backs itself out. It's failed that way all three times. I have it properly mounted (under the hood) and it is typically only used to lock my lockers. I very occasionally use it to air up my tires.

After breaking my rear ARB locker, using it no different than it was meant to be used, I've lost faith in ARB products. I just warrantied the compressor for the last time, cut my losses and sold the new replacement. I think I'll switch to CO2 or maybe a 100% duty cycle compressor like from an air ride setup.

I'm glad - and a bit surprised - that everyone else's is so trouble-free.

FML

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very interesting, I've sold and installed dozens and dozens including use in my own vehicle... a couple of minor issues but nothing as catastrophic as your failures. The RDCKA (predecessor to the CKMA12) was a very time proven design, I've been running one in my FJ40 for nearly 10 years with the only failure being water ingestion, it was rebuilt and has worked flawlessly since. It took some time for me to warm up to the CKMA12 but given the results to date between personal uses and customers, I'd call it a winner.

What broke on your locker? I've dealt with hundreds of lockers and its my experience that 95% of failures or related problems are install error or sloppy installation. Sorry to hear of your bad luck, souds like you truly are the anomoly :(

alexrex20

Explorer
It must be the way I installed it...? It's the only thing that makes sense. It's under the hood so it's more susceptible to vibrations, but I know that is one of the most popular locations, and my little Nissan V6 purrs like a kitten. Ugh I don't know.

My locker split at the cylinder cap and ARB gladly warrantied the parts once I sent them pics of the broken parts. It is definitely not related to the install. Lucky me... I think ARB has it out for me. :D

Edit: The clutch gear on the locker also had to be replaced; it was stripped, causing the initial symptom of intermittent engagement. Not sure if it's related to the crack in the cylinder cap, but we were glad to catch it before it failed catastrophically. With my luck, it would've been on the trail, 500 miles from home.

Last edited:

mudbutt

Explorer
I've had mine for a year and a half with zero issues....

I run an ARB locker in the rear, air up tires, pool toys etc.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Only 4 years though!

And just for the input, mine has been going for about a year or so, airing up, lockers, blowing up beach toys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles