Getting wheels powdercoated...what color?

fifthcircle

Adventurer
OK, so I am going to have my Toyota Tacoma 16" aluminum wheels powdercoated. Trying to figure out what "color" to do them.

Gonna be black.

Gloss?
SemiGolss?
Flat?

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
My choice would be gloss, for one reason only. They will be easier to keep clean than the other two choices.

If that's not a concern for you, and you don't mind spending time cleaning wheels, why worry about what the rest of us think? Pick whichever one YOU like best.

JP

96discoXD

Adventurer
I agree, gloss black would be my first choice followed by satin black. Cleanup is the big thing. I've had both and the satin wheels just always look dirty to me.
My DD has gloss black wheels and I love the way they look.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I've owned a number of black powdercoated wheels in both gloss, semi, and flat, and will have to agree with the previous clean-up statements. Another thing (at least in my opinion) is that, depending on the look you want, flat/semi tends to make alloy wheels look more like steel wheels in my opinion. Whether that's a plus or a minus is up to you.

However, black wheels = easy touch up!

- Andy

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Well, that's the info I was looking for. I was really thinking flat or semigloss...but with your advice, I think I will stick with gloss. I am juuuust lazy enough to not want extra work cleaning my wheels. :ylsmoke:

The only reason I wanted the flatter finishes was to match with the LineX that is on my rock rails and will be on my bumpers...whenever I finally get those. I don't think it'll be a big deal.

bat

Explorer
step outside the box steel grey looks great, my friend just did my old wheels that color

For my WJ I'm currently getting my 16" JK alloy wheels done in a graphite color similar to the stock WJ Rogue

Stock JK 16" alloys:
2u5z5tw.jpg

Stock WJ Rogue Graphite:
wheel_11_rogue_cast.jpg

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Duplicolor has some dark graphite wheel paint thatbwould look good on your rig. Cheaper and rock rash is easily fixed!:victory:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Duplicolor has some dark graphite wheel paint thatbwould look good on your rig. Cheaper and rock rash is easily fixed!:victory:

It's only going to cost me $50 per wheel to get them powdercoated. I am not going to spend a week sanding, and trying to paint them while it's freezing out just to have crappy spray painted wheels....but the thought did cross my mind. ;)

78Bronco

Explorer
It's only going to cost me $50 per wheel to get them powdercoated. I am not going to spend a week sanding, and trying to paint them while it's freezing out just to have crappy spray painted wheels....but the thought did cross my mind. ;)

That's a half decent deal but it takes forever to clean an alloy wheel up. Have them bead blasted.

Have you thought about hard coat anodizing? Probably expensive and could be blotchy.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Well, long story short...I don't have spare wheels to run around on while the primary ones would be in the shop. So I am holding off on wheels for a bit. Might just buy some aftermarket wheels sometime and use the stockers for winter wheels...and let the salt eat them up :Wow1:

GlennA

Adventurer
I say get them color matched to the truck. When I lived in Charlotte the wheels on my Nissan were candy apple red. When I got tired of the color, I stripped them and recoated them gun metal gray. Preparation is the key to long lasting powder coating.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
OK, so I am going to have my Toyota Tacoma 16" aluminum wheels powdercoated. Trying to figure out what "color" to do them.

Gonna be black.

Gloss?
SemiGolss?
Flat?

According to Jongbloed Racing Wheels, apparently the correct answer is "don't." Powder coating is more flexible than paint, and can hide damage and cracks. They advise against powder coats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior