Panamericruiser - An Overland Journey through the Americas

Cross at Nogales and take the truck route. Easy-peasy. Then drive the 14 miles to the Customs and Immigration office.

If speed to Oaxaca or Guanajuato is your desire I agree with Scott's advise as well, but try to visit Edmundo and stay for at least for one meal in Los Mochis. The goat birria for breakfast or the ceviche guy are definitely worth a stop... You can drive from Nogales to Los Mochis in 10 hours or so.

BTW that is one purdy Cruiser...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. The plan is to bring the KTM690 with us on a motorcycle hitch all the way to Mexico, then we will take turn riding it down...should be fun.

1113420460_C7btx-L.jpg

We did a bit of testing today and despite of some initial concerns it seems to be holding fine on the back of the Cruiser.

1113421282_ba8br-L.jpg

next step now is to get insurance for Mexico.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the advice. The plan is to bring the KTM690 with us on a motorcycle hitch all the way to Mexico, then we will take turn riding it down...should be fun.

So no 2 vehicle now? Just the TLC and the KTM?

Really hope to see you in Panama man, would love to share beers and here all about Africa!

Now if I could just get some real Mexican tacos over the internet...
You have no idea how well I hear you on that one! I keep daydreaming of these insane carnitas tacos I had in Quiroga. Well, who am I kidding I just daydream of all the food we had while driving through Mexico...

As far as insurance, we got great insurance rates for our Mexico drive buying ahead of time online. Print it up at home and you don't have to worry about it at the border.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I've not shopped for MX insurance for awhile, but I noticed that Sanborn's Mexico Insurance (advertised greatly on the TX-MX border) sells the insurance on their website
www.sanbornsinsurance.com

Now if I could just get some real Mexican tacos over the internet...

Yea....that is what I went with last year. But I don't see why it is any different than the stuff available at the border. Or is that Sanborns too? Last year I got mine before hand and this year I am just planning to buy it at the border when I cross.

Toyotero

Explorer
Yea....that is what I went with last year. But I don't see why it is any different than the stuff available at the border. Or is that Sanborns too? Last year I got mine before hand and this year I am just planning to buy it at the border when I cross.

That's probably your best best for getting the cheapest insurance... any shack that'll give you a form legitimate enough to get the temp import sticker will do.

It's not like if you were to get into an accident that you're going to try to make a claim to it anyhow. :sombrero:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Re: Insurance

Bajabound stepped in and in addition to provide insurance for us, they have become another great supporter of the forum.
They have helped building the new Mexican page of the on-going country guide section:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/country-guide/north-america/209-mexico.html

The countdown has started. I am in London until the 16th, packing on the 17th and leaving on the 18th. I only have a few weeks off but my friend plans to stay in Panama for several months - that's why we are bringing his KTM.

We are having a going away party in San Francisco on the 17th. Everyone is invited!

Time Friday, December 17 at 8:00pm - December 18 at 12:00am
Location Asiento San Francisco, CA

Come say bye as Shaun and Christian load up the car and drive to Panama. Shaun will be gone for a minimum of six months as Christian drops me off in Panama and galavants the world.

Asiento is the old Monkey Bar - corner of Bryant and 20th in the Mission. New sound system, good drinks and there should be food there.

DJs Sean Killen, Andy Schneider and Special Guests will be spinning sexy beats all night. Bring yo friends. Let's pack this little place out.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Excited to see that fantastic truck venture further south. It would be fun to find the original owner of the Land Cruiser and let him know where his truck and all that nice kit are going.

Have you talked with Cyril about Antigua? Would make for a great stop.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
It's official! We are leaving tomorrow!

I am back in SF after 5 days of insane travel making my way back from London through Paris and New York. I have never taken so many public transportation in my life in such a short period of time.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are now in Tucson, almost ready to cross to Mexico. We just need to get the rear brakes done tomorrow morning.

Getting really excited!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We just arrived in Puerto Vallarta. First internet access in several days...no problem so far, more update soon.

Looks like we may be in Zipolite for NYE...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94