Panamericruiser - An Overland Journey through the Americas

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We came across a LandCruiser 80 that is begging to be taken on a journey so I have not much choice now - we need to be back on the road!

Details of the vehicule are here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52632&highlight=fzj80

FZJ_Intro_.jpg

The trip will also be done in phases as I have to come back to the USA for work and we won't be entirely free until June.

We will be leaving San Francisco Dec 17th, direction Panama City.
This is going to be a short trip as I have already explored many countries in Central America.

We are planning to spend Christmas in either Oaxaca or Guanajuato.

First question: With 7 days between San Francisco and Oaxaca, what route would you choose?

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
First question: With 7 days between San Francisco and Oaxaca, what route would you choose?

Really tough to do the Mex200 with only 7 days. I am sure you could do it but it would be hard to get to Oaxaca in 7 days down the Mex200. So really that only leaves inland....

Well the world record from Alaska to Argentina is 14 days, so 7 days from SF to Oaxaca is definitely doable... I would forget about Baja for a quick trip like this one.

I would do Oaxaca for Xmas. As much as I like Guanajuato; Oaxaca wins in my book.

Good luck and drive that beautiful Cruiser with care.

edit: sorry it was 23.5 days from Ushuaia, Argentina to Dead Horse, Alaska, U.S.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well the world record from Alaska to Argentina is 14 days, so 7 days from SF to Oaxaca is definitely doable...

Sure but that must have been just about 24/hrs a day driving.

I did from PV to Salina Cruz in about 5 solid days of driving. Not a lot of night driving or hitting the road at 5am in that but who wants to do that while in Mexico!? Plus he still has time from SF to PV! All but one of those 5 days was 10+hrs of driving.

The Mex200 is fantastic but if you have driven it a number of times maybe skip it? Toll roads in Mexico are fast and fairly safe to drive at night but to me they are very boring, not to mention expensive.

If it was me...I would haul butt to PV. Then slow down a little and enjoy the Mex200. Many places along the Mex200 to spend a nice X-mas. Puerto Escondito I am sure is a great place to spend X-mas. From PE he is pretty close to Guatemala and onward to Panama City!

Are you trying to have at least a little fun along the way or just knock down miles until X-mas and then enjoy a day or two?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well the very first part is done - from Prescott to SF. That was the easy one.

A few pictures as I did a little detour around Mojave

This illustrates why I like the Maggiolina - low profile.
1112691888_BvwPn-L.jpg

1112691819_kPJUY-L.jpg

1112692975_Gc6ri-L.jpg

1112693336_9RMFP-L.jpg

1112693316_9ZaSS-L.jpg

1112693608_NVoUw-L.jpg

1112693582_qZzvm-L.jpg

1112693950_MjXM7-L.jpg

1112693975_KLF4X-L.jpg

1112692910_matVK-L.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Really tough to do the Mex200 with only 7 days. I am sure you could do it but it would be hard to get to Oaxaca in 7 days down the Mex200. So really that only leaves inland....

Since we are leaving from SF, would it make sense to go down Baja and take the ferry to the mainland?

One advantage I see is to avoid the "heat" at the border on the mainland...

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Cross at Nogales and take the truck route. Easy-peasy. Then drive the 14 miles to the Customs and Immigration office. They are very nice.

Then you can bomb Mex 15 at 120 until San Carlos and camp on the beach.

Then, drive to Alamos - It is worth the small detour

Next, Mazatlan, then Acapulco.

Stay out of Mexico City - Don't even get close. . .:costumed-smiley-007

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Since we are leaving from SF, would it make sense to go down Baja and take the ferry to the mainland?

Well let see, you could drive from Tijuana to San Ignacio, then the following day to La Paz, get the ferry overnight and you are in mailand in the morning!

I do not know how long it would take you from SF to Tijuana!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well let see, you could drive from Tijuana to San Ignacio, then the following day to La Paz, get the ferry overnight and you are in mailand in the morning!

I do not know how long it would take you from SF to Tijuana!

About one day from SF to TJ.

This option is tempting too.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

While I love Baja....take Scotts advice. I think Baja is to slow for the time you have allowed. Scotts route is the fastest if you are going down the west coast. I agree with him on Mexico City too!

NoLimitX

Sponsors
Just haul *** through Mexico and get to Antigua for Christmas! We would love to have you guys. Let us know when you think you will be coming through Guatemala or Belize.

Cheers,
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior