Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4

herby

4x4 Sprinter

The problem with the 4wd conversion is not the manufacturing of the mechanical parts, adaptation of the electronic on the auto box is. Unless you switch of the safety systems which is illegal in NA.
MB will not release the SCN codes for the adaptation.

username

Might be some via the government

I found this from another post:

John Bendit from Upscale Automotive commented:.......... Unfortunately, MB will no longer allow Oberaigner to sell us the conversion kit. This is the same scenario that happened with Sportsmobile and Oberaigner. Mercedes/Daimler pulled the plug after one conversion!! We are currently redesigning the kit. This will allow us to make a heavy duty version to meet military specs.

So who knows, you could see one go on the govt. auction website in a few years

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.salemkroger.com/sprinter.html

It's out-of-date. Salem-Kroger has closed. White Feather Conversions

http://whitefeatherconversions.com/

has started up with one of the former Salem-Kroger engineers as a principal. Following good ol' American techniques, they lift the vehicle and install a Dana 60 front end. The Sportsmobile here takes a different approach by using a setup that is largely made from the Mercedes 4WD parts sold in other markets. The Upscale Automotive conversion is different yet.

Note that even the simpliest of these conversions is over $20K.

Hafwit

Adventurer
Rare Sighting

Imagine my surprise when I was driving to the office and saw this vehicle at the side of the road. I immediately recognized it from this and other forums and wondered what it was doing in Lawndale, CA. I turned around and learned that they regularly service Sportsmobiles here and that this is the only shop in the area that is factory authorized to do so. In fact there were 3 Sportsmobiles there when I stopped. Seeing the 4x4 Sprinter up close was impressive. I'm sure the owner will enjoy it fully.
IMG_20120416_113336.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here is another option:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/4x4/mercedes/1012-creme-de-la-creme.html

sprinterside.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
4WD Westy Sprinter!!

Christian,

You've discovered my dream too. I have a "NAFTA James Cook", as they are sometimes referred to here in the US. They were imported by Airstream, not Winnebago. I have mulled over converting mine to 4WD, now that John at Upscale Auto has a kit for doing so. Not cheap at all, but the resulting vehicle would be unique, to say the least...

When Airstream imported them, they did a few things that I would have to undo, such as the underside propane tank, and maybe the generator that was installed in place of the spare. And maybe get rid of the rooftop AC, which is not normally found on a European James Cook.

But the basics are there; the Westy Sprinter layout is arguably the most functional layout of 18 feet that one can get. So much so that Westfalia still uses it, in their Sven Hedin camper. After 4 years of ownership, I've yet to see how they could really do any better.

Keep up the search!!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Airstream Sprinter Westfalia promotional video

[video=youtube;uiDl67rcfYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uiDl67rcfYs[/video]

jgolden

Adventurer
The Sprinter "rumor mill" indicates that the 4x4 Sprinter will be available in NA sometime in 2013.
Can anyone verify this?

jg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Sprinter "rumor mill" indicates that the 4x4 Sprinter will be available in NA sometime in 2013.
Can anyone verify this?
I can't verify this rumor, but I can report to you that there have been at least four previous times since MBz started bringing the van in that "a 4x4 NAFTA version will DEFINITELY be available next year," and it never happened. Be skeptical, and follow discussions on sprinter-source.com to get the latest. Maybe this year is the year.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes charges a fortune for the 4x4 option for the Sprinter ($20,000 if I remember correctly). So it would turn a $45K truck into a $65K model.

snorkel54

Adventurer
I can't verify this rumor, but I can report to you that there have been at least four previous times since MBz started bringing the van in that "a 4x4 NAFTA version will DEFINITELY be available next year," and it never happened. Be skeptical, and follow discussions on sprinter-source.com to get the latest. Maybe this year is the year.

FWIW, the manufacturer rep at Sprinterfest East said a 4matic based system should be available in 18 months or so, which also coincides with the next gen 4 cylinder turbodiesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles