Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

Team Ball's Out

Adventurer
I have a Autohome tent and it use to use bungees which totally sucked. I took my top to a friend and he installed a sleeve all the way around with the corners opened about 8" so you can pull the rope tight on the corners so you can cinch it down with a ratchet strap works awesome!

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I went to look at our local Sail store for good back pack straps as suggested in some of the posts here to replace my aging Velcro straps. They've done good for 9 years, but they have it rough, especially adding extra bedding and the memory foam and such. Worried about the stress on the cover. The weather was beautiful this weekend, and decided to tackle this since I'll be needing to use the RTT in a few weeks. Sadly, Sail had really nothing for good straps, but I decided to walk around for ideas, and I found these quick release dog collars. I personally think I'll like these much better!

GtO899c.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I went to look at our local Sail store for good back pack straps as suggested in some of the posts here to replace my aging Velcro straps. They've done good for 9 years, but they have it rough, especially adding extra bedding and the memory foam and such. Worried about the stress on the cover. The weather was beautiful this weekend, and decided to tackle this since I'll be needing to use the RTT in a few weeks. Sadly, Sail had really nothing for good straps, but I decided to walk around for ideas, and I found these quick release dog collars. I personally think I'll like these much better!

GtO899c.jpg

I had my buddy put new Velcro on my side cinch straps at his canvas shop. I peeled the old stuff off for him. $5 and they work great now. They were 8 years old.

dmwhiteman

Observer

GtO899c.jpg
Are those ruffwear? I'm in the market for something to replace my straps and the metal buckle looks like it may do the trick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I had my buddy put new Velcro on my side cinch straps at his canvas shop. I peeled the old stuff off for him. $5 and they work great now. They were 8 years old.

Part of the issue was indeed the Velcro of course, but the other is where the straps are sewed into the tent. Sewed straps aren't the strongest thing, and over time, you can see here:
https://i.imgur.com/bTtbD2L.jpg
Is that they're pulling out of the tent where they're sewed into. Even if I replaced the Velcro, I'd tear those out completely, and maybe cause a hole in the tent. I don't want that. They'd probably be ok for regular use or an empty tent, but with the memory foam, pillows and blankets we like to keep in there, they're putting more stress on those straps then normal.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Ruffwear Top Rope Collar

Thank you! Indeed they are. I got a large and a medium. I cut the large, the medium is just the right length
14Tju28.jpg

Sorry, I must of been typing my reply while you (dmwiteman) posted, and I didn't see it, thinking it was Rattlers's post still. Even then I had to look twice, I though someone double-posted.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
So many good ideas here. Unfortunately many of the links are dead due to age of the posts. I'm still waiting for my GordiGear Explorer Plus and Annex to get here before I can start improving things. I was assured it'd be here by mid-October in time for my trip to Big Bend but I'm starting to worry that might not be the case.

quadforce4

I have a Autohome tent and it use to use bungees which totally sucked. I took my top to a friend and he installed a sleeve all the way around with the corners opened about 8" so you can pull the rope tight on the corners so you can cinch it down with a ratchet strap works awesome!

can you post a photo or two?

pray4surf

Explorer
'Missing' photobucket images can be displayed/viewed by clicking on the 'please update image' and opening in new tab (or window)

Lucky j

Explorer
'Missing' photobucket images can be displayed/viewed by clicking on the 'please update image' and opening in new tab (or window)

I tried that before and did not work for me. It takes me to a general photobucket page that ask me to sigh in.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I got the bed rack and RTT mounted this weekend. I've bought some ratcheting tie-down straps to make the upgrades like several people have done and will probably get to that tomorrow but the 1st thing we did was add some wood spacers between the tent mounting rails and the rack tubes to spread the weight out a little bit and not deform the rails by bolting it down too tight. I also had to get some longer bolts as the 2" aluminum tube was a little wide for the ones that came with the tent.

I drove around yesterday and didn't notice any handling differences (but never got off camber to see how that was) but today we've got about 25-30mph winds and I can definitely tell there's increased height now. I was getting pushed around pretty good heading into town.

IMG_1914.jpgFD7B8F7A-0F99-4337-9915-AD5900F50236.jpgE7BAB37F-8364-48B6-9475-D5CBCB8FA93C.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Got the double D buckles replaced today. I had some 2 piece buckles from a couple of damaged military ruck sacks. Should be plenty strong enough for holding the travel cover down.

Double D Buckles.jpgNew Buckles.jpgBoth.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles