Wiper fluid froze. Solutions?

overlander

Expedition Leader
A common modification in Defenders is to disconnect the wiper fluid feed line (tubing that runs between reservoir and spray head) and wrap it multiple times around your heater line, then reconnect it. That way the fluid picks up all the transferable coolant heat on it's way to the windshield, and it benefits from the ambient heat of the engine after you shut down.

Doesn't prevent overnight freezing, but will accelerate thawing out of the lines, and helps accelerate the de-icing of the windshiled when it gets hit with warm wiper fluid.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Read the label.

Many brands of washer fluid claim they will "protect" the washer system down to -14 or whatever. That does not mean they will flow at that temp, only that the fluid wont freeze solid and crack lines and stuff. Even with a high ratio of 99% isopropyl alcohol I've had enough ice crystals form to clog the jets and lines.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, it usually doesn't happen that often if you run winter formula fluid.

Last edited:

Hedge

Adventurer
What was the temperature rating on the fluid you were using?

I've noticed that as I drive further south, the lower-temperature rated fluids are not available. It may be because the EPA has begun to regulate volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and winter formulations require them to remain ice-free; thus the regional formulations. In your case, is it possible that the reservoir is full of summer (sans icing inhibitor) fluid?

Anyway, add some of this to your reservoir:

prestone_washer_fluid.png

Last edited:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Seems like an odd problem to have. Never heard of it before. Of course, around here, all washer fluid has alcohol in it and most say good to -40 on it.

For what it's worth, wind chill is only a concern for things that sweat. Washer fluid lines are the same temp at 60 mph as they are when parked.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Seems like an odd problem to have. Never heard of it before. Of course, around here, all washer fluid has alcohol in it and most say good to -40 on it.

For what it's worth, wind chill is only a concern for things that sweat. Washer fluid lines are the same temp at 60 mph as they are when parked.
Reminds me of that old saying......."Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff" :sombrero:

Vermonster

Observer
Methanol (methyl alcohol) is generally used as the anti-freeze component in windshield washer fluid.

Due to VOC regulations, the amount of methanol in most pre-made washer fluids has decreased in recent years. Here in New England it is difficult to find anything better than -20F. I understand things in other parts of the country (especially CA) are even worse.

Solution: bootleg the good stuff from Canada or buy the local stuff and add additional methanol. 45% methanol provides protection to around -40F. Note that at this % methanol, the flash point is 85F.

I have also found many cheaper pre-made washer fluids skimp on the surfactant. A few drops of liquid dish detergent per gallon really seems to help.

VT

Mamontof

Explorer
Read the label.

Many brands of washer fluid claim they will "protect" the washer system down to -14 or whatever. That does not mean they will flow at that temp, only that the fluid wont freeze solid and crack lines and stuff. Even with a high ratio of 99% isopropyl alcohol I've had enough ice crystals form to clog the jets and lines.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, it usually doesn't happen that often if you run winter formula fluid.

Did you ever think if 99% isopropyl alcohol FROZE , what will be with GAS in your tank ?

Simple chemistry and physics plus some basics mechanic from school
Lets read post why live in Alaska :cool:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
UPDATE: Ok, so like an idiot, I forget all about flushing out the older fluid and head up to Wyoming again. When we were leaving, the fluid worked great, but it was also 30 degrees. Heading into Wyoming, no fluid at 10 degrees. Of course, the whole time we were there, it never got above 10. I got it into a warm garage where I drained out the old fluid, then put in a fresh bottle of Prestone De-Icer. Worked great. On the way back today, I decided to try it on the road. 8 degrees out and no go. Almost home, and at 23 degrees, it works again.

I am stumped now. I am sure I flushed out the entire reservoir, as it took nearly a gallon to fill up again. I cycled the washer fluid until I clearly saw the yellow-ish liquid from the Prestone.

Any ideas?

bobDog

Expedition Leader
UPDATE: Ok, so like an idiot, I forget all about flushing out the older fluid and head up to Wyoming again. When we were leaving, the fluid worked great, but it was also 30 degrees. Heading into Wyoming, no fluid at 10 degrees. Of course, the whole time we were there, it never got above 10. I got it into a warm garage where I drained out the old fluid, then put in a fresh bottle of Prestone De-Icer. Worked great. On the way back today, I decided to try it on the road. 8 degrees out and no go. Almost home, and at 23 degrees, it works again.

I am stumped now. I am sure I flushed out the entire reservoir, as it took nearly a gallon to fill up again. I cycled the washer fluid until I clearly saw the yellow-ish liquid from the Prestone.

Any ideas?
Hmmm.....sacrifice a chicken during a full moon when its under freezing while facing east?:sombrero:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

Any ideas?

I have the same issue.......I've come to the conclusion that the prestone can still freeze at the squirters when it's really cold

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I have the same issue.......I've come to the conclusion that the prestone can still freeze at the squirters when it's really cold
I wonder if someone makes a tiny 12volt heat element that could be attached to the sprayers?:smiley_drive:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I was thinking more about this, and maybe I didn't end up getting all of the fluid out? Maybe there was still some frozen at the bottom of the tank. I may have to take the reservoir out to see what's going on. Side note, neither of my parents' vehicles have this trouble, and they use the cheapo Peak stuff. Like I said, never had any problems in my other vehicles I've driven up here. So I don't think it's the nozzle issue. It's got to be at the tank.

Sacrifice a chicken? Maybe a burnt offering right under the tank may do the trick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior