Wiper fluid froze. Solutions?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
In the 12 years I've been traveling in the 0 to -20 temps, I don't recall the wiper fluid freezing up on me. It happened last week in Wyoming when it was about 6 degrees out. Traveled from Utah in above freezing temps and a couple of hours later when I hit the wiper fluid button, nothing happened. I thought I'd run out, so got some more, but there was plenty in there. I'm assuming the fluid froze, as it works fine now.

Never had this happen before in any of my trucks/cars. But to keep this a one-time deal, are there any preventative measures or solutions?

soonenough

Explorer
There are quite a few types of windshield washer fluid with anti-freeze added to them. Most have either methanol or ethanol added to them to lower the freezing temperature. Depending on the temperatures you'll be in, I'd think those would work fairly well.

There are also several manufacturers of kits that heat your windshield wiper fluid lines to prevent freezing of the liquid. I seem to remember seeing a write-up (here on ExPo maybe?) of someone that installed a kit that actually heated the entire wiper arm and fluid lines. From what I remember it was a fairly involved install. Not sure how effective any of those options are though.

Electric heater - http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/index.htm, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT-38OD-Windshield-Washer-Heater/dp/B0034GW1WW"]Amazon.com: AlphaTherm AT-38OD Windshield Washer Fluid Heater: Automotive[/ame]

Heated pads that stick to the windshield and heat the wipers while they're 'parked' - http://www.mirrorliteco.com/northwind.html

I'd say that if you'll only occasionally see those types of temperatures, just buy an anti-freeze type fluid and be done with it.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Sounds like you had a weak mixture of alchohol in your windshield washer fluid.

For the winter I prefer the kind with the De-icer built in. I if you buy the "better" brands theystate at what temp they will freeze. Most are good down to -30 deg f ish range.

OTR

Adventurer
Adding alcohol to the solution would be a good idea. But the freezing may be occurring at the spray nozzles on the outside of the vehicle.

happened to me last year in my 08 tacoma. went to the drug store and bought some alcohol and dumped it in after breaking up the washer fluid in the resevoir. worked pretty good. i did notice a smell in the cab at times, though. not over bearing, but noticeable. i would hit the washer fluid every now and again to try to keep some alcohol in the lines. i think it's worth buying the winter time washer fluid after last year.

greentruck

Adventurer
Prestone makes a Deicer Windshield Washer Fluid. Rain-X (or one of the other windshield treatments that) also makes washer fluids under its brand has a special deicer formula also. I've used both with great success.

Keep in mind that products like this tend to be regional. If you're traveling and run into such weather, needing some, head for a local supply house and you can usually find it -- unless the locals have already bought the supply up.:ylsmoke:

constructeur

Adventurer
Wurth windshield additive gets my vote. I'm lucky enough to have Wurth products stocked at my local import store.

http://www.autogeek.net/w892332836.html

Wurth also makes a nice product that helps against the door seals freezing/sticking against the car, and can be found in either a spray or wipe on application.

My word of advice would be to install whichever additive product you choose and cycle some through until you know the additive is in all of the smaller supply lines.

UNI

Adventurer
Here is what I use, GUNK Windshield Cleaner. The product is concentrated, a 6oz. bottle makes 1-1/2 gallons. They also make the product with antifreeze added (Concentrated). You can easily store a bottle in your glove department. Good Stuff!

shredwagon

Observer
Theres heater elements that go in you're reservoir. Help on icy mornings and supposedly with mud too. Hot water is better for cleaning, well.... everything. Not too pricey either.

If you're wiper fluid froze with the proper antifreeze, check your lines to see if theres anything exposed to wind (windchill on the highway) and insulate..... or use the Rain-X stuff.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Honestly, it probably wasn't the bottle that froze, probably just the tips (outlets). Unless you had just straight water or a very weak mixure. Use a quality mixture, and clean out the outlets. You can use HOT water and an old toothbrush to get it going in the morning.

Plenty of pre-mixed antifreeze washer fluids out there, but they all REEK! Generally I'm against getting too fancy or sophisticated with what should be simple systems, but the idea of a heating system for the washers instead of melting your nasal linings makes sense. :sombrero:

DaveJKJ

I had mine freeze up one time last year when I had a mixture of summer and winter fluids in the reservoir.

I have been using the Prestone washer/de-icer fluid. I think it is supposed to be good to -35 degrees and I have not had any problems with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior