Beetle Off Road camper build

67bajabug

Hey guys i am new to the site and would like to share my current project with all of you. All the work on the build is getting done by me with the help of some of the guys i rent the shop with. i work in a cold storage warehouse and have no formal training working on cars. i am 21 and all the other guys are around my age.

I got the bug for 1000 bucks. its got a rebuilt DP 1600 and brand new tires. it also has bus portal ends. it has very little rust for its age but i am still going to do a full body off resto. once the rust repair and paint is finished i want to make it a camping rig. i love tent camping and backpacking so i will be able to keep it light and simple. i will be building it with a minimalist backpacker mindset.

101_2082.jpg

101_2079.jpg

101_2078.jpg

101_2074.jpg

plan is to build another rack over the motor to hold a cooler. put a stove and a sink in the front trunk along with other cooking stuff. i am not sure what i want to set up the back seat area for. i am thinking shelves or maybe a flat padded area where i can sleep or stow gear.

i also dont know what color i want to paint it. maybe flat tan OD green or even gloss white. i would like your opinions on that and what things are absolutely necessary and what things may be worth adding.

i started the tear down in the shop.

SDC10044.jpg

motor out

SDC10044.jpg

SDC10048.jpg

SDC10049.jpg

taking the fiberglass fenders off

SDC10054.jpg

after that i took the trans out and got the body off. also made a rolling stand for the body. i will get pics of all that when i get back over to the shop tomorrow.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This should be interesting...
Cooler over the engine I would think heat would be a concern.

I have spent very little time in bettles, can you do something with a fold flat front seat and a platform in the back (with storage under) to make a big wide sleeping platform?

Since you are in NJ it would seem cold/snow is the big worry, I bet these do well with the light weight.

Keep us posted

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
You've got a great basis for a minimalist expedition vehicle! In the early '70's I had a VW 1600 with cut out wheel wells and big tires. Went all over the Sierras and Baja. With the added clearance of the portal axels you will be able to go anywhere you want! Keep the open differental, just add cut brakes. Cut brakes let you control the power distribution and are better than a locker in low traction situations, especially with the weight over the drive wheels.

Photog

Explorer
Steering (cutting) brakes are a great way to control tire slip, and divert power to the opposite wheel.

I used to use my '67 Baja Bug for hunting and camping. If you don't have a passenger, there is plenty of room to build a sleeping platform on the passenger side. Remove the back seat, and build a storage area there. Even the driver-side rear window can be replaced with a slide out unit (cooking?).

Get the heater cans for the exhaust, and put the heaters back together. If they are sealed properly, they work well. Keep a squeegee for clearing condensation on the inside of the windshield, until the windows warm up.

Bypass the internal oil-cooler, and install an external cooler and filter.

On your swing axle, you need to rotate the boots, so the bolted seam is either forward or backward of the axle. This way that seam is only bent sideways, not stretched. Otherwise they will always leak.

If you can find one, get a front beam from a VW Thing. Both ball joints face down, reducing stress on the lower ball joint. It is also taller, like the portal axles on the rear. If you can't find a Thing front beam, buy an adapter to install a kingpin front beam.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1054922
Might be able to just get the spindles and lower arms, to get the same results.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1028651

Switch out the generator for an alternator (bolts right in).

Your fuel tank is up front, so I would not suggest trying to cook there (BOOM! ).

Where is NTSQD? I think he still has some VW based toys.

Bugs are fun. Your build will be fun to watch. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

67bajabug

Cooler over the engine I would think heat would be a concern.

never really thought of that good point... i will have to see how much heat actually builds up over that thing. i dont think it would be to bad at highway speeds but it may pose a problem offroad.

Steering (cutting) brakes are a great way to control tire slip, and divert power to the opposite wheel.

I used to use my '67 Baja Bug for hunting and camping. If you don't have a passenger, there is plenty of room to build a sleeping platform on the passenger side. Remove the back seat, and build a storage area there. Even the driver-side rear window can be replaced with a slide out unit (cooking?).

Get the heater cans for the exhaust, and put the heaters back together. If they are sealed properly, they work well. Keep a squeegee for clearing condensation on the inside of the windshield, until the windows warm up.

Bypass the internal oil-cooler, and install an external cooler and filter.

On your swing axle, you need to rotate the boots, so the bolted seam is either forward or backward of the axle. This way that seam is only bent sideways, not stretched. Otherwise they will always leak.

If you can find one, get a front beam from a VW Thing. Both ball joints face down, reducing stress on the lower ball joint. It is also taller, like the portal axles on the rear. If you can't find a Thing front beam, buy an adapter to install a kingpin front beam.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1054922
Might be able to just get the spindles and lower arms, to get the same results.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1028651

Switch out the generator for an alternator (bolts right in).

Your fuel tank is up front, so I would not suggest trying to cook there (BOOM! ).

Where is NTSQD? I think he still has some VW based toys.

Bugs are fun. Your build will be fun to watch. Keep us posted.

thinking about adding a larger fuel cell in the back so i can do the stove up front and have a farther range. i have a kingpin beam for the front. i plan on widening it to match the rear width with the portals and adding adjusters. i am also going to make 3 inch lift spindles to match the portals. thanks for the tips on the boots.

Photog

Explorer
Sounds good.

You can replace the lower part of the rear seat, with a fuel cell. Then move the battery up front, under the hood (keeps the battery away from the fuel tank). if you have the fuel cell made properly, the rear space will be one level (under rear window and over the fuel cell). This can be the beginning of a sleeping/storage platform (feet and legs on passenger side & head under rear glass).

How are you going to attach your kingpin front beam? If you do a 3" lift spindle, you will have to do set up a different speedometer system. The lower linkpin will be in the way of a normal cable through a hollow spindle. You might be able to use a magnetic speed sensor similar to those used on bicycles.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Thought of this when I read the title of this thread

vw-beetle-with-trailer.jpg

Yeah, that's a beetle with a 5th wheel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0"]YouTube - 1974 Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test[/ame]

yours is cooler though :)

D

Deleted member 9101

For many years I have wanted to do the exact same thing.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Although I am not into Baja bugs any more, I still love talking about them. My buddy Mark and I were really heavy into documenting everything we did for the DIY'ers out there. You can check out all of our baja bug related stuff at http://www.blindchickenracing.com. There are something like 3000+ pictures to look at, from tools, how to's, outings, custom projects, etc....

My two cars were the tube chassis build that was abruptly stopped and later sold to Mark to clear out my garage. My primary baja bug was the Orange one, that was later stolen from out front of my house. Later to be found a week later stripped of everything. I lost interest in the whole thing and moved on to other hobbies at this point.

I know one day when my son is driving, we'll probably build another baja bug for him to beat up. :smiley_drive:

67bajabug

the bus portals came on the early swing axle buses. the big nut ones that i have are rated for 1 ton (so ive heard) and are supposedly pretty tough. luckily you can still get rebuild kits for them. a freshly rebuilt swing axle with portals should be more reliable than and irs setup at that same height. i have heard of plenty of guys tearing up cv's but never heard of anyone breaking a swing axle.

INSAYN

Adventurer
The VW portals or redux boxes as I'm used to hearing them called, are some good stuff. They will literally turn at VW bug into a tractor with all kinds of low end torque.

In my opinion having CV's being your weakest link in the drive train can save you from having to walk if your drive train breaks down. If you break the tranny, or goober up the gears, your walking. CV's are easy to swap out, and easy to carry pre greased spares sealed in a Food Saver bag.

Break the ear off the axle of a swing axle and your walking, unless you carry spares. Also not as friendly to replace in the bush. :Wow1:

A person can up their CV relability by using Type 4 (Thing) or Porsche 924/944 CV's axles, stubs and Type 4 tranny output flanges. Everything will bolt right up under a stock bug with IRS spring plates. You can cut down the swing axle spring plates and drill and notch them to accept the IRS trailing arm. All that is left is to add the pivots to the torsion tube for the IRS arms.

Also with the Type 4 CV's, you can run them at the max of 22 degrees before binding. Type 1 only get about 12 degrees, and Type 2 about 17 degrees.

If you keep your HP down, and be careful with your trail manners, the swing axle/redux combo will do you right for years.

Be VERY LIGHT on your reverse gear. Never load it up and pop the clutch. The way that transaxle works, does not give the reverse gear mesh much to hold on too. With big tires, rocks, mud or backing up hills...you will destroy reverse very quickly. If you have to, liberally slip the clutch whenever you need to back up in the rough. Better yet, just pretend that you don't have reverse already, and plan ahead for parking, and trail travel to avoid ever needing to use it. :smiley_drive:

INSAYN

Adventurer
Also, if you are new to VW's here is the minimal list of parts to carry for spares, along with any tools you plan to carry.

- 1 Long side steering rod.
- 1 Throttle cable and carb linkage connection goodies.
- 1 Clutch cable with the big wing nut.
- 1 Fan belt.
- Match box of assorted fuses.
- Spare lug bolt set.
- Hose clamps of assorted sizes that fit everything on your rig.
- 4' length of fuel hose.
- Spare fuel filter.
- 1 quart of 20w50.
- Roll of Duct tape.
- Roll of electrical tape.

This should keep you prepared for the normal daily VW issues that WILL pop up on you.

D

Deleted member 9101

Also, if you are new to VW's here is the minimal list of parts to carry for spares, along with any tools you plan to carry.

- 1 Long side steering rod.
- 1 Throttle cable and carb linkage connection goodies.
- 1 Clutch cable with the big wing nut.
- 1 Fan belt.
- Match box of assorted fuses.
- Spare lug bolt set.
- Hose clamps of assorted sizes that fit everything on your rig.
- 4' length of fuel hose.
- Spare fuel filter.
- 1 quart of 20w50.
- Roll of Duct tape.
- Roll of electrical tape.

This should keep you prepared for the normal daily VW issues that WILL pop up on you.

Too funny.. I carry mos tof that stuff for my Tundra...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles