Lights inside a rooftop tent

pwc

Explorer
Does anyone have some semi-permanent internal lighting setup for thier roof top tent that they'd like to share?

I finally unboxed the Eezi-Awn yesterday to try it out (on the ground currently). I like how dark it can be and that there seem to be many places to attach a light of some kind. I'm thinking more of a dome type light.

My ideal plan is to get a small solar panel outside the tent then run a wire under the platform and up to a dome. Either a dome light or maybe some LED rope lights or something.

Any other thoughts?

articulate

Expedition Leader
It would be cool, particularly a strip of LEDs. I think it could be done, too. Even though I pretty satisfied with using a headlamp, I'd like to see you execute this idea. :)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
The only thing I have to say is this: this thread is worthless without pics! LOL... I never thought of putting lights in, great idea!:clapsmile

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Hannibal might have one. At the Toronto outdoor show they had an RTT with a nice fluorescent light mounted to the inside wall of the tent. I'm not sure though if they set it up like that for display purposes only or if they actually sell them.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
I have been trying to find a good quality 12 volt light/fan combo with an extension cord long enough to get to a power source. The lights from camper shops seem to be kind of crappy. :confused:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Try those puck style LED lights. They are available at Home Depot and even Wal-Mart. Just stick them in the tent and push the centre to turn them on.

Another option is the ARB Adventure light - but it's pricey.

I was thinking about this too when I was at ********'s Sporting Goods the other day and stumbled upon this:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=830-550&categoryid=5900

The Coleman Cool Zephyr™ Ceiling Fan with Light
Attaches to any tent ceiling using magnetic plate or carabiner clip (included)
•Four D batteries required (Batteries not included)
•Approximate run time is up to 24 hours on HIGH or 48 hours on LOW
•Features 4 white LED lights and one amber LED night light
•Fan and light are operated with independent controls
•Features soft-to-touch foam blades
•Dimensions: 9” Height (when hung), 8” Diameter

$26.99

pwc

Explorer
Hmmm...my requirements are a bit different. I don't want to run ff of batteries except as a store for the solar power.
I'm thinking something like the strip at the bottom of this page will work
http://www.theledlight.com/flexible-ledstrips.html
that pulls .2 amps if I read it right, so hooking it up to the truck battery would be fine. Kill switch inside the truck. hmmmm

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have one of those fans. Tent/camper fans
I like it.

An idea for fixed lighting: Wireless control lighting
I used one of the mid to late '90s GM fullsize under hood retractable lights inside my cargo box.

clight.jpg

installation of the reel hood light , and random adventures

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
All our Maggiolina tents are supplied standard with a 12V interior light. You can also mount a 12V Hella turbo fan (folding type), a flat panel monitor, laptop, DVD player, 12V charging outlet for your GPS, sat phone, or whatever. I find the light very handy.

If you are going to add a light, I suggest a pair of 12V LED reading lamps. Use small aguge wire - nothing big is needed, and a 12V cigarette light type fixture at the end. All this stuff (except the tent) can be purchased at West Marine, or any well equipped chandlery.

M

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Solar sounds cool I use my ARB adventure light and run it off my yellow top optima. I also have but have not used sylvania dot it lights. They are mounted on the bottom of my Hannibal.

Aaron

thallca

Observer
I was thinking about the same thing. I do wan't to run power for rack top lights and tent power.

There is a tent light listed on Hannibal's website.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
As ar as power goes I lucked out. I already have a aux power plug attached to the bumper for cranking a air compressor, and jumping the occasional dead battery. So I modded a 3 outlet box to it and put the box in the tent so I can watch dvd's on my laptop or post the current days activities.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94