Abu Dhabi

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
"Just don't spoil the party of the guy who is really excited to go abroad, give him the chance to make own experiences. The bias will come soon enough."

I lived in the Persian Gulf for 9 years between 1992 and 2001 and have traveled to over 35 different countries for work and for enjoyment. I understand the challenges and my expectations are realistic. The Arab culture and values are often at odds with western values. That's just the way it is. I will be polite and patient and see what happens, easy enough to cartch a ride on an outbound flight if it doesn't work out.

There are plenty of ATVs and Dune Buggies in the Desert but no one travels alone here and I have been on multi car trips in the Moreeb Dunes at Liwa where we ended up with NO ONE for miles and miles. Anywho, my near 30 years of operating in the ME (and 5 years here) has taught me that the biggest dilemma in the UAE is which resturant to go to each Thursday ... then again, do I want another Guiness with dinner? is the other great Dilemma. :coffeedrink:

Know Seef Mall in Manama? Multiply it by 50 and surround that number by hundreds of 10-30 story buildings for rent, add a million foreign workers, bunches of high end hotels and the occassional Emira

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I remember when they built Seef Mall, opened a Chilis next door which quickly lost it's liquor license. Bahrain, being an island was limited on outdoor recreation. I look forward to exploring the area, Oman, etc. And the food and the difficult decisions like how many Irish coffees should be consumed after dinner.

tamin

I just came accross this forum and am now a registered user :)

I live in Dubai and LOVE it here! Unfortunately I am leaving in July. I came to Dubai on a 3 year contract and to prepare for my dream overland expedition around Africa.

www.everythingexceptthehorn.com

I cant believe I only have 6 months left :(

I am sure to be back so I wish you the best and if you come up to Dubai please drop me a line and we can go Dune bashing together :)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I just came accross this forum and am now a registered user :)

I live in Dubai and LOVE it here! Unfortunately I am leaving in July. I came to Dubai on a 3 year contract and to prepare for my dream overland expedition around Africa.

www.everythingexceptthehorn.com

I cant believe I only have 6 months left :(

I am sure to be back so I wish you the best and if you come up to Dubai please drop me a line and we can go Dune bashing together :)

Wow, just checked your site - please keep us posted!

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
Well, I arrived in February and the family joined me here in July. I bought a 2011 Nissan Xterra Off Road and mounted a RTT and awning purchased from the folks at www.blingmytruck.com (Awful name for a company if you ask me, but their service is excellent.) My Bajarack for the Nissan should be delivered next month. Ace hardware and ARB have been able to provide recovery gear, a Waeco 40l fridge and some basic kit.

Now that the weather has cooled off we plan to start exploring the deserts, mountains and beaches.
A test drive to Wadi Bih went well a couple of weeks ago but got cut a little short due to illness.

Abu Buckwheat - I have seen a silver Defender prowling around downtown, in the parking lot at the corner of the Corniche and 32nd and at the Jones the Grocer around the corner from my office.

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
Dubai has ICON motors .

The owner Chris is a top bloke.... spent some time out there and he took us out for a thrash in his rally prepared Mitsubishi, he's a fantastic driver.

He's currently racing a unimog,

217202_4685824575_594249575_119062_4298_n.jpg

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I haven't made it to ICON's shop yet. My son will be happy if he gets a look at the Unimog. He has been trying to convince me to buy one since the day he saw his first GXV.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
Gunnslinger ... Wow! you work near my old office which was the building next to Jones the Grocer. Yes, thats my Defender with the Snorkle, expedition load out and roof rack. Its famous around these parts ... the Emiratis call them Den-Dens and I am documenting the Defenders of the UAE for Land Rover Monthly. Also starting the Defender Owners Club but Xterras are welcome!

I have also seen your truck the other day ... I thought " 'Bling My Truck?' ******?" ... man its a small world. PM me and we'll meet up.

burn_e

Adventurer
Gunnslinger ... Wow! you work near my old office which was the building next to Jones the Grocer. Yes, thats my Defender with the Snorkle, expedition load out and roof rack. Its famous around these parts ... the Emiratis call them Den-Dens and I am documenting the Defenders of the UAE for Land Rover Monthly. Also starting the Defender Owners Club but Xterras are welcome!

I have also seen your truck the other day ... I thought " 'Bling My Truck?' ******?" ... man its a small world. PM me and we'll meet up.

You might have come across the recently founded facebook group "Land Rover Owners Club UAE". Lots of LR chat and trips going on there. Have a look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne