What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
You beat me to it!!

check this link!
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/2011-coyote-rv-nemesis-jeep-jk-p.u.l.s.e./

really cool setup - If I had a jeep this would be no brainer!

Hi,

Thank you very much for the compliment, and for posting this article!! I've been asking my friends who took interior pictures to send me some of them, ever since the ISE Show. But never got them delivered, so I am so glad that this article was published, and that you put it out there.

For anyone who lost track of it, here is the link to the article again:

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/2011-coyote-rv-nemesis-jeep-jk-p.u.l.s.e./

Thank You Again!

Robby

wannaby

Adventurer
mmmm...very cool I guess a little tight for me how do you get into the bed when the one peice is flipped down ....with my mattress and sleep pad all pushed up.... think it would be easyer to throw a tarp up and cook outside for me and the price if it is 18g,s seems a little steep if you ask me.....but thats just my opinion.I think this guy came up with something just as functional and alot cheaper

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53577

but I suppose ther are people out there with way more money than me willing to pay for something like that and you have found a good nich market good for you.....Den

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Suzuki camper... cool!

mmmm...very cool I guess a little tight for me how do you get into the bed when the one peice is flipped down ....with my mattress and sleep pad all pushed up.... think it would be easyer to throw a tarp up and cook outside for me and the price if it is 18g,s seems a little steep if you ask me.....but thats just my opinion.I think this guy came up with something just as functional and alot cheaper

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53577

but I suppose ther are people out there with way more money than me willing to pay for something like that and you have found a good nich market good for you.....Den

Hi Den,

You're right, where there's a will, there's a way. You can always save a lot of money, if you are willing to put the time, effort, and thought into your projects. I have seen some truly amazing self made camp units.

This Suzuki camper is really neat looking, I think he should be proud of this creation... it's really the exact same basic idea as the jeep PULSE. You can see that he kept his roll bar in there, the main bed is over the cab, the raised roof gives a full height standing area for changing close and stretching out, very nice.

Thanks for sending that link!

suntinez

Explorer
For those who don't know the history of Coyote, Dave Rowe - creator of FWC and Tiger Motorhomes, and one helluva nice guy - is Rob's father. I see a lot of those influences here, updated for the current market.

Good luck Robby/Cari, looks like growing pains are over and you have your finger right on the pulse.

wannaby

Adventurer
I must say you guys have been ahead of the competition all along I love the tiger/provan,the 4WC. and all this new stuff you guys are coming up with.....I just wish I had the dough ... but even if I did I wouldnt be able to make up my mind...keep up the good work.Den

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Tacoma Phoenix, and Tundra Phoenix Pop up by Coyote RV

Great design...have you built these on a tacoma or tundra?

Thank You for asking.... YES! We sure offer our custom units for the Tundra and Tacoma. You can set yours up with the standard list of great PULSE features and customize it with some extra goodies, or go more basic. Your choice.

CustomTacoma.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Blazer/Phoenix Pop up, by Coyote RV

Something on an old chevy blazer would be cool too really like the chevy chalet...

Yes! I LOVE the Blazer units. The Chalet had that cool molded fiberglass body, the tail light skirt wrap, and the matching paint to make it look more like "part of" the Blazer. I like mine to come out a little tighter fitting at the rear, so it handles better on and off road. Some folks still ask us to build them longer, like a Chalet. We do it any way you want!

Anyway, you're right on with that one.... Really cool little HD off roading mini motorhomes!

I think that if a guy (or girl) ordered their new Phoenix Custom Blazer unit with the new aerodynamic molded fiberglass cab over, and paint match option, then they'd have themeselves a pretty neat little rig!

Something like THIS BLAZER PHOENIX POP UP
blazer.jpg

ordered with THIS AERODYNAMIC CAB OVER
009.jpg

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
Yes! I LOVE the Blazer units. The
011-1-1.jpg

What have you been seeing performance wise on the installations that have the cab over over hanging the plane of the windshield like that verse being farther back? Obviously there is going to be some aerodynamic losses there I was curious if you had any appreciation for what that might be in reality?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Cab over lengths and earodynamics

What have you been seeing performance wise on the installations that have the cab over over hanging the plane of the windshield like that verse being farther back? Obviously there is going to be some aerodynamic losses there I was curious if you had any appreciation for what that might be in reality?

Hi pods8,

Great question! I am sure a lot of people wonder about this, so since I have driven all different combinations of trucks, campers, and cab over lengths, I hope I can help clear up some of the questions.

1. After building campers for 20+ years, and seeing how much the cab over on a camper does effect the performance of a vehicle (especially on the highway and in heavy wind) I became obsessed with developing a truly aerodynamic cab over shape for our campers. So I spent about 2 years working on the shape and production of our new aerodynamic cab over. I am not trying to advertise here, I just wanted everyone to know how much importance I place on this issue.

2. So, if at all possible get yourself a camper that is shaped so that it slices through the wind as smoothly and as effortlessly as possible.

3. In my opinion, the very best aerodynamic truck mounted camper would have the following features, in order of importance:

a. Aerodyanamic shape to the cab over cap, so that whether it was
mounted to a truck or not it would slice through the wind.

b. Tightness of clearance between the top of the vehicle's roof, and
the bottom of the camper's cab over. No matter how LONG
the cab over is or how well designed the aerodynamic shape
is on the tip, wind will sneak into the space above the cab
and creat an air dam that slows the vehicle down. The bigger
the gap you have here, the worse the air dam will be. The
very best thing you can do to improve the aerodynamics of any
existing truck/camper combo is to add a CAB-TO-CAMPER PAD.
This is an inflatable pad that fills this gap between the cab and cab over. Closing this gap make the wind divert to either side
of the camper instead of getting trapped and causing the dam.
The cab to camper pad can sometimes help other things like
"bed bounce." I very much recommend getting the 3M clear bra
added to your vehicle's roof before adding the pad, in order to
protect the paint.

c. Length designed to fit the vehicle cab such that the wind from the
highway travels up the windshield and continues to flow across
the aerodynamic cab over tip WITHOUT hitting a "shelf" from
an overhanging extra long cab over. For the sake of improved
overall camper center of gravity, and sometimes comfort inside
of the campeer's living quarters it is sometimes worth giving up
this particular aerodynamic feature. It's a matter of opinion.
In the above quote's pictures, the yellow vehicle shows the
perfect aerodynamic fit, and the white one shows the
less than perfect aerodynamic fit. If you have a camper with
the fit like the white truck DON'T FREAK OUT AND SELL IT, just
get yourself the CAB-TO-CAMPER PAD mentioned on feature b
if you feel the need to improve your aerodynamics.

d. If you want to really go crazy with your aerodynamic obsession,
you can do a couple of other things. Make your camper as
absolutely LOW profile as possible. Add air diflectors to the
front wall of the camper, angling forward to the truck's cab,
reduce the air damming a the front wall, on either side of the
cab. Cut the cab over off of your camper completely. Round
off the upper rear end of your camper, since it has been
proven that most of your aerodynamic drag actually occures
at the rear of a vehicle as the wind swirls behind it.

You add any camper on top of your truck and it is a reletively square box, with room enough for some beds and storage, and you're going to lose some performance and fuel mileage. Once you accept this fact, you just have to decide of the comfort and freedom that you gain from adding the camper is worth trading for this.

I have received feedback from hundreds of my customers over the years and here's the facts that I have concluded.... They are finding that on average pop up campers will reduce your fuel mileage about 2 - 4 MPG. It seams to depend more on the amount of extra power your particular truck model has before adding the camper, than exactly how you shape and size your camper.

Okay, as usual, long answer to a simple question, sorry. Hope someone out there finds it interesting.

86cj

Explorer
Hi pods8,

Okay, as usual, long answer to a simple question, sorry. Hope someone out there finds it interesting.

I found it interesting, especially since I have a Jeep LJ and would need a cabover design for decent room. I also prefer a standard pop up with a hard roof rather than a Flippac tent type camper, rain is almost always part of our camping and a wet tent is what is pushing us to get off the ground when we use the Jeep.

I would prefer access to the bunk from the outside also, have you ever built a door into the popup fabric?

I have owned a 12' cabover camper for 20 years, it is a standard bunk not extended. I have hauled it with both standard cab (big overhang) and extended cab pickup (no overhang), the air it catches is a big deal and the cushion helps. I tried the cushion on my extended cab truck and it helped a little, but the sheetmetal made noise flexing so I took it out. I never saw a MPG improvement but it helped with buffeting. I have to say I miss the cooling benefits the overhang had on cab comfort when on the std cab truck, combined with the less glare it just made a day in the cab much more enjoyable...

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
LJ PULSE info

since I have a Jeep LJ and would need a cabover design for decent room. I also prefer a standard pop up with a hard roof rather than a Flippac tent type camper, rain is almost always part of our camping and a wet tent is what is pushing us to get off the ground when we use the Jeep.

I would prefer access to the bunk from the outside also, have you ever built a door into the popup fabric?

Yes, we do offer the side intrance zip "door" into the soft upper portion of the liner, with a ladder to get up.

Also, so that the folded out queen size sleeper is a full 6' on our LJ PULSE model, the cab over section does extend over the windshield. But it is fully sealed to the windshield with NO AIR DAM GAP.

I forgot to mention those benefits of the longer cabover. The shading the windshield, and the fact that frost pretty much never covers your windshield in the mornings!

Thanks again for the great comments, Rob

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Jeep Camper

I posted an article about the Jeep Camper, JK PULSE, which did have some photos in it. But, for those who just wanted to see more photos, and not read like a whole article about it....

Jeep Camper
SportsmansExpo2011-9.jpg

Wrangler Unlimited Pop up
SportsmansExpo2011-12.jpg

Jeep JK PULSE Camper
SportsmansExpo2011-14.jpg

Jeep Pop up
SportsmansExpo2011-11.jpg

Jeep Wrangler Camper
SportsmansExpo2011-19.jpg

Phoenix Pop Up on Jeep
SportsmansExpo2011-16.jpg

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
I see you have an Olympian Wave 6 in the Jeep. They make a smaller heater. Is it your experience that the Wave 6 is needed in there vs. the Wave 3?

Post Script: thanks for the Jeep interior pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles