Chevy 3500 Express VS. Ford E350 test driven but still have ????'s

BajaBus

Adventurer
I read this and find it very interesting. As a teenager in the early 80's I used a ford van for work. I just bought a 2008 XLT Quigley 5.4. I swear the dash cluster is the same. The sloppy tranny-shift is embarrassing. I keep looking for the 8-track player!

It's still getting a few more modifications but my early road tests didn't leave feeling much love for the 5.4 engine.

I am still thrilled to have the van and the chance to explore. But I'm not sure I'll ever be a Ford Guy.

I drove an S10 pickup and an Astro both with the unbeatable GM 4.3 and they had plenty of power. A 5.4 in a SMB type application seems like insanity to me. It's just not enough power!

loren85022

Explorer
I drove an S10 pickup and an Astro both with the unbeatable GM 4.3 and they had plenty of power. A 5.4 in a SMB type application seems like insanity to me. It's just not enough power!

I hope you are only partially correct Baja. I've been lurking for a year and shopping for a diesel for half that. Probably just dreaming for a diesel pricewise. I came across a 5.4 below $30k and decided to just take the plunge. I wont have everything an SMB has but had to add a 400lb wheelchair lift that doesnt help.

Regardless of the engine, I still am amazed anyone finds the Ford appealing inside. The best part about the dash is that it is so sub-standard, I have no problem chopping and hacking it to fit my needs.

But it's all good! :victory:

Silverhorse

Adventurer
OLD THREAD REVIVAL!! I ended up getting a 2013 express 3500(duramax) partially because of what i read in this tread.. and I wanted a diesel. But NOT a 6.0 diesel! It has been a good van. Only issues- ambient air temp sensor and one glow plug, now at 70K on the ticker... It is, as mentioned de-tuned for sure!! But that can be remedied :sombrero:

On the other hand I have 4 Ford work trucks, all new when we got them.(OUR CORPORATE HAS A "DEAL" WITH FORD) We have had no issues yet with the two Transits but the two 2011 box vans with 5.4's have both blown spark plugs out of the heads!!! 4 IN TOTAL..(NEW UNTOUCHED FACTORY PLUGS) and guess what-- FORD WOULDNT WARRANTY THE PROBLEM!!! A KNOWN FACTORY DEFECT!@!!

SO I'M REALLY GLAD I DIDNT GET A V10 E350 LIKE I ENTENDED!!

I was looking for a Ford van as well because I wanted the V10 and the frame was thought to be stronger.

I got a 02 chevy 3/4 ton conversion van with Quigley 4x4 with independent front suspension. I have exact same use as OP - it's my ultimate road trip vehicle. For towing boat on trips and road trips with family. It has a 350 5.7L motor. It's been good to me so far and rides great. My frame was reinforced by Quigley so no worries there.

Somethings you need to know. The louder noise on fords is a result of ford not using any noise pads whereas they come stock on chevy's. Fords have a better departure and arrival angle, which makes it more offroad capable. I've heard the Fords can tow more, but the GVWR on newer gassers are not any different. It's the Ford diesels that are supposed to tow a lot more. I think chevy drivetrain is better, but you really need a 3/4 ton if your going to tow a boat or the transmission could be suspect IMO, especially on a higher mileage buy. The 3/4 ton and up GM transmissions are near bullet proof from what I've read. I can say that at 155K miles mine still feels very solid.

I recommend OP find a conversion van instead of modifying a passenger van. You can do same modifications on conversion van, but there will be much less work to do it. You will get a bed that folds down and likely TV. Most middle seats have captain chairs on quick release mounts so it's just a matter of removing one seat and adding your Microwave or whatever you want there.

I'd caution on adding too much of bigger tires. They are prone to turnover as it is. The bigger tires will feel like power will be reduced because it will reduce your gear ratio. I went up from stock 225/75R16 to 235/75R16 and noticed a difference. To run something like 31's your would need new gears and to reprogram some piece of electronic if you still want the power needed to pull trailers IMO. There are kits out there to convert AWD to 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles