2000 Aprilia Pegaso, good bike?

66Landy

Observer
Hi,
I'm looking for a commuter most of the time, but also the ability to do some light overlanding/fireroad exploring/camping. I know a couple who are selling their 2000 Aprilia Pegaso with 6K on it and asking $3,000. It has Aprilia hard cases. Can anyone give me a heads-up on this bike and it's good and bad aspects?

I thought about a F650 Funduro or a newer F650GS, but I'm starting to re-think that and craving either a Ducati MultiStrada or a Pegaso.

Carey

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
$3000? That's actually not a bad price.

I have only sat on one - never ridden on myself. But my impressions are that the bike should be a really commuter. It has a fairly tall seat and upright seating position that is similar to the F650's. It's not really designed as a trail bike, but should be fine for basic dirt roads with the right tires. I would be concerned with the hard cases on washboard though - watch those mounts.

My biggest concern would be parts availability and repair costs. Do you have a local dealer? Would you be doing more of the repairs yourself?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I haven't had personal experience on one, but believe its towards the road oriented end of the larger dual sport spectrum.

Make sure you have a place to get work done on it....as well as a place to order parts....

-H-

66Landy

Observer
Parts and Work

I have an Aprilia dealer about 40 minutes away and they stated that most parts would have to be ordered from Italy, which is depressing! I like to look and plan on doing most of my riding on the streets anyway. I'd take the cases off unless I was going to go for a long road trip! Thanks for the comments.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
A co-worker of mine when I lived in Paris had a Pegaso. Nice bike. The little Rotax thumper it uses is pretty reliable. Rotax service is easy to come by these days. It's definately a commuter bike designed with metro-Euro riding in mind. That high, upright position is for seeing over an ocean of little Fiats, Renaults and VWs more so than riding in the sticks and rocks.

The price is right. I'd do it.

66Landy

Observer
Another Horse in the Race

A gentleman with whom I have dealt with in the past, has placed his Transalp up for sale. It has 16K miles, is an '89, and he wants $2,700. Now, it seems to me the Pegaso is a better bike and at a relatively better price, yes?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
That Transalp is likely a great bike....I'd grab one of those before I got the Aprilla....

Honda reliability and parts availability, great on road, decent off road....

-H-

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Nah--that honda is junk! Where is it and whats the guys number? Ill, uh, call just to make sure he sold it, yea thats it.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I'd probably go for the TransAlp for aforementioned reasons. I can't imagine that parts and labor for the Pegaso is cheap. I've also read that the oil changes for the DIY'er are a messy affair.

You might want to check ADVRider out to see what the folks over there have to say.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Off topic: Talking about gas savers, I did some math a while back. Assuming my Jeep gets 17 MPG, the DR gets 70 MPG and gas is $4 per gallon, it will take over 15000 miles to recoup the $3400 I've got into the bike and riding gear. That's a short distance in a car but a long way on a bike. Fortunately I'm riding the moto for the hell of it, not to save money.

As you were... :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke